So its been over 2 weeks since this article was written via crackberry.
    http://crackberry.com/10-reasons-why...esearch-motion

The real question is: Will Blackberry devices run Android OS if RIM were to be bought by google?

Another good question is: If google were to purchase RIM would android devices ever have BBM compatibility across blackberry and android os?

Just adding to proof of RIM's unhealthy state is today's article titled: "RIM loses BlackBerry PlayBook product manager to Samsung" Here is a link: http://www.intomobile.com/2011/07/19...er-to-samsung/

Please feel free to share your thought and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by movi3king; 07-20-11 at 10:24 AM. Reason: More Info
    07-20-11 09:17 AM
    Still fantasy at this point, but I would guess that if it did happen, BlackBerryOS would be a separate entity.

It would be foolish to force a "combined" OS, IMHO.
    07-20-11 09:28 AM
    can you say monopoly. good luck with your dream.
    07-20-11 09:39 AM
    If google acquired RIM and therefore QNX, we would see some AMAZING devices from them. You know Google wouldnt f around with QNX, we would probably see it on all their tablets/phones by early next year.

I think they would benefit greatly. Let the third party manufacturers deal with Android, and then start a line of "superphones" with QNX, using RIMs own manufacturing resources.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-20-11 09:50 AM
    If google acquired RIM and therefore QNX, we would see some AMAZING devices from them. You know Google wouldnt f around with QNX, we would probably see it on all their tablets/phones by early next year.

I think they would benefit greatly. Let the third party manufacturers deal with Android, and then start a line of "superphones" with QNX, using RIMs own manufacturing resources.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    I think we would see some of the most amazing phones and OS's every made.
    01itr likes this.
    07-20-11 10:04 AM
    The question I would have is this:

Why would Google buy RIM?
    Same reasons Kevin gave in his post.

10 Reasons why Google will buy Research In Motion | CrackBerry.com

I'll name the ones that I think would be most important to Google (no order):
    1) QNX
    2) Mobile patents
    3) Enterprise
    4) Reduce fragmentation
    5) Assuming Google wants to, they could now own the end-to-end experience
    07-20-11 11:06 AM
    If Google ever bought RIM and put Android on BlackBerry, I would leave BlackBerry for Sectera or a dumb phone.
    07-20-11 03:46 PM
    They would use the QNX Microkernel with android overtop. ..... very simple.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-20-11 04:06 PM
    If Google ever bought RIM and put Android on BlackBerry, I would leave BlackBerry for Sectera or a dumb phone.
    Now now now are you one those who are in denial that android is king over the mobile industry?
    Let's face it. Blackberry has gone downhill and coming out with phones that sport a 1.2GHz processor isn't gana cut it in todays day in age. 1.2GHz processors where 2+ years ago. And yes I know google doesn't make their own phones. But at the end of the day its operating system combined with the phone specs that make a happy consumer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 04:11 PM
    There's another option. I could use my BlackBerry as a feature phone: get a sim for it for calls, maybe a basic data plan, and use it as a pda.

07-20-11 04:18 PM
    Wait. What exactly is ur problem with google and Rim possibly merging?

07-20-11 04:30 PM

I like the BlackBerry os, and I don't want to use Android to help Google generate advertising revenue.

Wael Ghonim knows which one is the more secure platform ...

Google exec Wael Ghonim missing in Egypt amid protests - Jan. 31, 2011

From the article:

"Haddad spoke with Ghonim late Thursday via email and BlackBerry Messenger."

Why wasn't he using a droid?
    07-20-11 04:47 PM

I doubt it. If Google bought RIM they wouldn't use QNX. They'd probably sell that off to a company looking to develop their own smartphone software, phase out RIM's platform and use RIM's enterprise portfolio to integrate into Android for the corporate world. You're out of your mind if you think Google is going to fool around with 2 OS especially when they don't even make money off of 1. They have 0 incentive to have another platform. There's already enough fragmentation on 1 platform and you really think they do 2? And they aren't going to just get rid of Android because YOU think QNX is better.
    07-20-11 05:03 PM
    if google bought RIM i'd venture to say blackberry hardware would cease to exist, it'd be nothing but a legacy cost to google. their only interest would be to obtain RIM's intellectual property. google isn't a hardware company.
    07-20-11 07:04 PM
    After Apple, Microsoft and RIM went in on the Nortel patents, something tells me that the people other than RIM in that deal wouldn't let Google buy RIM. RIM isn't going anywhere right now. They have positive revenue, international growth, and $3 Billion in cash. If this QNX transition fails then they will be bought. I have no intrest in stolen source.

07-20-11 07:21 PM
    They would use the QNX Microkernel with android overtop. ..... very simple.
    Not happening. Android uses a Monolithic Kernel whereas QNX utilizes Microkernel. It's basically two OS's on opposite ends of the spectrum that do tasks completely differently.
    07-20-11 07:34 PM
    it'll be very difficult to acquire RIM....first of all someone will have to acquire a controlling amount of shares...with the price this low ......Mike L and Jim B are probably rubbing their hands together buying up as many shares as they can afford.....I am more then certain they will purchase many.....potentially upping their combined total from the current between 10-11%......upwards of 15%+

As much as the media has fed us drivel of investor animosity at the past 2 years of shareholder meetings...The general consensus was that investors were in it for the long haul...

It will be extremely difficult for a takeover candidate to obtain a controlling amount of shares....

Just some random thoughts.....however...I don't see any real scenario where anyone will be able to obtain a controlling amount of shares...
    07-20-11 08:35 PM

my problem is the buggy as he!! software google puts out, i equate google to Walmart = quantity not quality. Ive yet to see truly stable google software.
    07-20-11 08:59 PM
    my problem is the buggy as he!! software google puts out, i equate google to Walmart = quantity not quality. Ive yet to see truly stable google software.
    And BB are completely bug free?

Or which Operating system you know doesnt have bugs??? Be it Computer or Mobile OS's

I have yet to see a BB that doesnt need a battery pull when the memory leaks take over... lol
    07-20-11 09:11 PM
    This has been my experience as well. It has actually been maddening to try and find one android device that did not have at least one debilitating issue. I gave up after a year and a half of experimenting.
    07-20-11 09:24 PM
    And BB are completely bug free?

Or which Operating system you know doesnt have bugs??? Be it Computer or Mobile OS's

I have yet to see a BB that doesnt need a battery pull when the memory leaks take over... lol
    Hush. You know BBOS is a symbol of unassailable stability.
    07-20-11 09:27 PM
    if google bought RIM i'd venture to say blackberry hardware would cease to exist, it'd be nothing but a legacy cost to google. their only interest would be to obtain RIM's intellectual property. google isn't a hardware company.
    The intellectual part is out there. The only thing blackberry has over other carriers is their name (history that people actually recognize a blackberry as a smartphone although it is far from smart) and bbm. Instant email isnt really a novelty due to android and apple having instant delivery options. As far as bbm there are alot of 3rd party apps that work across all platforms and are pretty reliable. Apple developing their own version of bbm called imessage and i give it 3 months b4 android follows suite. imessage from apple is another example of how people are moving on from blackberry. At the end of the day the technology is out there and companies know how to use it. Granted blackberry had the idea first but all other OS's are learning how to use them and are taking its capabilities alot further then blackberry ever could or will.

With any open source software there is room for bugs. When you tweak a phone you have to know that there is room for error and you learn from those errors and make your software better. At the end of the day i would rather have an android phone WITH bbm due to the simple fact that it has apps. Blackberry has no apps and the few that they do all cost money. Developers have stopped trying with RIM its just not worth it for them. Its not so much about the money aspect its just that there isnt really any room for expanding on the RIM platform. Yes playbook is taking leaps but it is far from where they should be and no it should not have been released till it was perfect.
    07-21-11 09:27 AM
    Who cares? Unless they take all the good from Android and all the good from BB and make a new OS then it might work BUT as it stands now Android is doing really well because of Marketing. IMHO. I just can't get used to this OS on the Droid 2. Does nothing for me.
    07-21-11 10:42 AM
    I doubt it. If Google bought RIM they wouldn't use QNX. They'd probably sell that off to a company looking to develop their own smartphone software, phase out RIM's platform and use RIM's enterprise portfolio to integrate into Android for the corporate world. You're out of your mind if you think Google is going to fool around with 2 OS especially when they don't even make money off of 1. They have 0 incentive to have another platform. There's already enough fragmentation on 1 platform and you really think they do 2? And they aren't going to just get rid of Android because YOU think QNX is better.
    With Google trying to get into EVERYTHING you don't think that they would keep QNX? A smartphone OS is peanuts compared to the rest of what QNX does.
    07-21-11 10:46 AM
    can you say monopoly. good luck with your dream.
    In the US monopolies do not matter. Take a look at Cable companies. They were allowed to control entire townships and counties before AT&T and Verizon started their U-verse/FiOS services.
    07-21-11 10:48 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD