Onboard AI translation without the need of a back end Charlie or Anne Snoop computer
    I'm not sure you entirely know the stuff behind 32, 64 and the theoretical 128 bit processors.
    07-18-17 12:07 PM
    Onboard AI translation without the need of a back end Charlie or Anne Snoop computer
    Explain the technical details of how you think that will be accomplished, and why it would require a 128-bit processor.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-18-17 01:59 PM
    I'll support bb10 for at least that long, we have a special relationship and I feel it is very important we support eachother

Posted with my good ol reliable classic
    07-19-17 01:00 AM
    A few things:

1. BetaMax failed
    [...]
    same movie on BetaMax took 2 tapes, and twice the storage and twice the rewinding. It wasn't consumer-friendly, even though the video quality was beta.
    FIFY... ;-D

•   BlackBerry... where are we heading...? Pray tell... ;-D   •
    07-19-17 03:52 AM
    Explain the technical details of how you think that will be accomplished, and why it would require a 128-bit processor.
    It's the console wars all over again.
    07-20-17 12:18 PM
    It's the console wars all over again.
    Sega

Posted via CB10
    07-20-17 12:22 PM
    As long as BlackBerry world keeps going then at least there is that. The Playbook store is still there and I still use that device, although primarily for videos and reading now.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    07-26-17 02:03 PM
    BB10 had its last update this year at the time it was going to be the last but rumours have it a new version is on its way
    08-16-17 11:48 AM
    As long as BlackBerry world keeps going then at least there is that. The Playbook store is still there and I still use that device, although primarily for videos and reading now.

Posted via CB10
    That will die in less than two years - any corporate users will have cycled bb10 devices out of use by then and they don't care about few hardcore consumers who will be left.
    08-16-17 02:00 PM
    That will die in less than two years - any corporate users will have cycled bb10 devices out of use by then and they don't care about few hardcore consumers who will be left.
    Depends on if BlackBerry World make enough from sales or advertising to cover the cost of operation - hosting the service, which can be scaled down as users leave. Not sure there is any BlackBerry World support worth mentioning. One part-time junior assistant and an old desktop with a DSL connection might be enough to keep BBW up and running in four years.

Classic and Passport are the only devices that really will matter to these hardcore BlackBerry fans, and they are almost three years old as it is (Classic is actually older)... so yeah two more years and I expect BlackBerry can safely say they supported those devices for five years.... long enough. That's if there is a company called BlackBerry still in business at that point - still think ultimately a buyer will be found once it's clear just how little of a company BlackBerry is going to be.
    08-16-17 02:22 PM
    Depends on if BlackBerry World make enough from sales or advertising to cover the cost of operation - hosting the service, which can be scaled down as users leave. Not sure there is any BlackBerry World support worth mentioning. One part-time junior assistant and an old desktop with a DSL connection might be enough to keep BBW up and running in four years.

Classic and Passport are the only devices that really will matter to these hardcore BlackBerry fans, and they are almost three years old as it is (Classic is actually older)... so yeah two more years and I expect BlackBerry can safely say they supported those devices for five years.... long enough. That's if there is a company called BlackBerry still in business at that point - still think ultimately a buyer will be found once it's clear just how little of a company BlackBerry is going to be.
    I suspect there may still more Z10s and Q10s in use than Classics and Passports. They built millions of Z10s and Q10s, compared to a few hundred thousand Classics and Passports. Of course more of those have been retired, but it's a huge difference in volume.

My Z10 is still in near new condition after 4.5 years of daily use with no case. Whatever you want to say about it, it was very well made.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-16-17 02:53 PM
    Blackberry still links to Amazon for selling new passports. So I would take that as meaning they will at least provide some security patches for a while.

The PROBLEM you have though is there are not likely to be enough active users to even find and report the issues.
    BlackBerry doesn't give a F about its users or even "fans".
    All they want is their cash.
    There is no more passion to the product like Mike L. had it.

They would sell you a used pencil as BlackBerry device if they would be able to.
    There is ZERO software support from BlackBerry for OS10 - even though I was a die-hard BlackBerry-fan for over a decade, I'd say it's a waste of money buying a OS10 device today!

I even say it's a waste of money buying a Android-Berry - look at the software support for the Priv or DTeks.
    Just the security patches - but that's it!
    They will be NEVER see Android 7!

And the KeyONE? Let's talk about it in 6months from now.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-17-17 01:23 AM

They would sell you a used pencil as BlackBerry device if they would be able to.
    There is ZERO software support from BlackBerry for OS10 - even though I was a die-hard BlackBerry-fan for over a decade, I'd say it's a waste of money buying a OS10 device today!

I even say it's a waste of money buying a Android-Berry - look at the software support for the Priv or DTeks.

Posted via CB10
    Mike L killed the company. Friends like him, BlackBerry doesn't need enemies.
    08-17-17 06:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely true !!!
    Slash82 likes this.
    08-17-17 01:49 PM
    Mike L killed the company. Friends like him, BlackBerry doesn't need enemies.
    He did only "kill" BlackBerry because he wasn't able to execute on time / properly.
    Mike still was the mastermind behind everything - with his vision and knowhow.
    Part of his vision was buying QNX and using their software as device software, which still is superior to all other mobile OS on the market.
    But they failed to execute on time - that was what "killed" BlackBerry.
    They missed the: "Facebook-train", "Twitter-train", "WhatsApp-train", and "top-app-train" in general...
    And people started to dump them because of that additional to that OS10 was just half-baked as it hit the market. = Overkill.

Until then their fanbase was strong.

John Chen and his team have no clue about hardware or mobile devices, no vision.
    Chen isn't even able to handle a BlackBerry device right.
    All they still have is that "QNX-based" software for their solutions now - which Mike brought to them.
    Also you can't really trust them now.

What might have worked was: Mike as CEO for technology and Chen as co-CEO for all financial things and pushing out that technology.

Right now, I don't even see a future for BlackBerry Mobile in that setup.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-17-17 03:51 PM
    sorry, double post.
    08-17-17 03:51 PM
    Part of his vision was buying QNX and using their software as device software, which still is superior to all other mobile OS on the market.
    But they failed to execute on time - that was what "killed" BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry acquired QNX in 2010, a year after they needed to have put out a new OS to compete with iOS and Android.

Nothing after 2009 mattered. Devices were doomed to failure already.
    08-17-17 04:02 PM
    BlackBerry acquired QNX in 2010, a year after they needed to have put out a new OS to compete with iOS and Android.

Nothing after 2009 mattered. Devices were doomed to failure already.
    Buying QNX is what slowed down BB10. I think BB10 based on Linux would have come out faster (out of the box SoC compatibility for example) and a better product (scheduler a better fit for smartphones).

But the silver lining in that bad decision is that the car business is an important pillar for the new BB. So in the end it was a good purchase.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-17-17 04:37 PM
    He did only "kill" BlackBerry because he wasn't able to CHOSE not to execute on time / properly.
    I fixed it for you.

Mike killed BB because he couldn't face the situation he'd put himself in.

The truth is that BB was NEVER a successful smartphone company - they never made any significant money selling smartphones. But they were incredibly successful, and quite profitable, selling BIS and BES service, which they forced as a bundle with their phones. BB was able to do that because - at the time - BB was the only company who COULD do it, and that gave them LEVERAGE. Those Service Access Fees (SAFs) made BB billions.

But... the carriers HATED paying the SAFs, and were highly motivated to disrupt BB's business model as soon as they could and dump the SAFs - but they couldn't do that as long as cellular data networks were slow and as long as businesses and consumers demanded BB phones. And Mike had never come up with a plan to deal with the loss of the SAFs that kept BB alive and profitable - even though it was obvious that not having a Plan B was a HUGE problem for the company. This is why Mike did everything he could to talk the carriers out of upgrading their data networks to faster speeds - he well understood that faster data networks would make BIS obsolete, and allow the carriers to dump it and the SAFs along with it. Without any way to replace that revenue, all he could do is STALL STALL STALL.

But consumers and the industry as a whole was determined to move forward, and the carriers knew that they either evolved or they would be crushed by their competition who did. Mike resisted change at every turn - completely against the tide of the industry. No doubt, his solutions to 2G networking and enterprise security were brilliant, but he could not evolve, and BB under his leadership could not evolve either.

Mike killed BB as a smartphone company way back in 2005 - when the first rumors of an Apple smartphone started to circulate. Google, for example, acted immediately, and bought Android from Andy Rubin and poured resources into the project. Mike did nothing - and this was the CRITICAL time when he needed to be working on a replacement for BBOS and BIS/BES. He needed to have a complete and competent new, modern smartphone OS ready for launch no later than 2008, which means he needed to start working on it no later than 2005. But Mike didn't *start* working on it until 2010, and didn't deliver a product until 2013, and didn't deliver a *stable* product until 2014. By that time, BB as a smartphone company was already mortally wounded, and could only be saved by multiple amputations.

Any complaining about Heins or Chen is misplaced - they didn't kill BB's smartphone business. Mike did that, and he did it almost single-handedly. He didn't want to be told he was wrong, or tunnel-visioned. Mike didn't tolerate opposing views well - he created a company where he was God and God could do no wrong. And, well, we all know how that story ends.
    08-17-17 08:02 PM
    I fixed it for you.

The truth is that BB was NEVER a successful smartphone company - they never made any significant money selling smartphones. But they were incredibly successful, and quite profitable, selling BIS and BES service, which they forced as a bundle with their phones. BB was able to do that because - at the time - BB was the only company who COULD do it, and that gave them LEVERAGE. Those Service Access Fees (SAFs) made BB billions.

But... the carriers HATED paying the SAFs, and were highly motivated to disrupt BB's business model as soon as they could and dump the SAFs - but they couldn't do that as long as cellular data networks were slow and as long as businesses and consumers demanded BB phones. And Mike had never come up with a plan to deal with the loss of the SAFs that kept BB alive and profitable - even though it was obvious that not having a Plan B was a HUGE problem for the company. This is why Mike did everything he could to talk the carriers out of upgrading their data networks to faster speeds - he well understood that faster data networks would make BIS obsolete, and allow the carriers to dump it and the SAFs along with it. Without any way to replace that revenue, all he could do is STALL STALL STALL.

But consumers and the industry as a whole was determined to move forward, and the carriers knew that they either evolved or they would be crushed by their competition who did. Mike resisted change at every turn - completely against the tide of the industry. No doubt, his solutions to 2G networking and enterprise security were brilliant, but he could not evolve, and BB under his leadership could not evolve either.

Mike killed BB as a smartphone company way back in 2005 - when the first rumors of an Apple smartphone started to circulate. Google, for example, acted immediately, and bought Android from Andy Rubin and poured resources into the project. Mike did nothing - and this was the CRITICAL time when he needed to be working on a replacement for BBOS and BIS/BES. He needed to have a complete and competent new, modern smartphone OS ready for launch no later than 2008, which means he needed to start working on it no later than 2005. But Mike didn't *start* working on it until 2010, and didn't deliver a product until 2013, and didn't deliver a *stable* product until 2014. By that time, BB as a smartphone company was already mortally wounded, and could only be saved by multiple amputations.

Any complaining about Heins or Chen is misplaced - they didn't kill BB's smartphone business. Mike did that, and he did it almost single-handedly. He didn't want to be told he was wrong, or tunnel-visioned. Mike didn't tolerate opposing views well - he created a company where he was God and God could do no wrong. And, well, we all know how that story ends.
    Mike L was a disaster. He sat around for five years trying to keep the industry from progressing. Then when he finally woke up several years to late and started working on a new OS he sidetracked the effort to waste time building a financial disaster called the Playbook. Then this person with great 'passion' left and put a completely incompetent insider CEO in his place. If he had really cared he would have found an ouster with a vision.
    08-17-17 09:49 PM
    I do not think that they will. There are no new bb10 phones in the pipeline. It is safe to say that bb10 is going in PlayBook direction now.
    09-05-17 10:20 AM
    I fixed it for you.

I agree with all this. Additionally, I think BB10 was developed not to be a successful OS in as much as successful exit it for him and other insiders, giving them valuable time for unloading their stock without technically breaking any securities laws or regulations.
    09-05-17 01:38 PM
    I do not think that they will. There are no new bb10 phones in the pipeline. It is safe to say that bb10 is going in PlayBook direction now.
    There isn't even a pipeline anymore.....
    09-05-17 02:26 PM
    There isn't even a pipeline anymore.....
    I believe that most of the pipeline has been listed for sale on ebay or scrapped.
    09-05-17 03:40 PM
    Funny how, after reading all the negativity about no"support", I got a BB10 OS update on my unlocked Z30 yesterday. Didn't really need it, though, as it seems to be a perfect, mature OS to me, doing everything I want as beautifully as ever.

BB, Still the One
    bitek likes this.
    09-05-17 04:15 PM
106 ... 2345