11-16-16 01:25 AM
26 12
tools
    With how quickly the political landscape has changed in the U.S., perhaps more people are/will be thinking about privacy/security...

"Signups for encrypted mail client ProtonMail double after election"

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/11/si...fter-election/
    11-12-16 02:56 PM
    I am not sure if they will financially benefit but I do know from various channels that BlackBerry and the former NYC mayor are friends.

Mr. Giuliani recently gave a speech at BlackBerry's annual security summit. Given the potential role within the new Trump administration that he may have I suspect there may be some place for BlackBerry.

In the interview Mr. Chen gave to Bloomberg the other day, he mentioned the CIO of the White House and a chat. I suspect the current business relationship will continue and hopefully expand.

For those wanting to see the speech from the former mayor, here is the link.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    11-12-16 03:53 PM
    I am not sure if they will financially benefit but I do know from various channels that BlackBerry and the former NYC mayor are friends.

Mr. Giuliani recently gave a speech at BlackBerry's annual security summit. Given the potential role within the new Trump administration that he may have I suspect there may be some place for BlackBerry.

In the interview Mr. Chen gave to Bloomberg the other day, he mentioned the CIO of the White House and a chat. I suspect the current business relationship will continue and hopefully expand.

Posted via CB10
    Hope they want to at least keep things "North" American... :-)

(that would include BlackBerry, and, ... oh, Canada!)

  "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D  
    11-13-16 02:48 PM
    I think Chen was right when he said that Trump won't hurt the tech business. I'd be more concerned about Trump's foreign policy as opposed to anything else.

Business in America will most likely benefit, providing that the president-elect doesn't push for too much economic intervention or government interference.

I don't think that the Republicans in the House and Senate would allow it even if Trump tried. The Democrats are going to spend the next two years scratching their heads while they wait for the midterms.

And the tech sector, as Chen said, should be relatively shielded compared to other industries. I'd be more concerned about oil and gas and the automotive sectors.

If anything though, Canada could lose more jobs to the US, if the corporate climate under a Trump Administration is seen as being more profitable than that under Trudeau's Liberals.

BlackBarry, in my opinion, should fear a carbon tax more than a Trump presidency. And I'm not a Trump fan. But I am a realist.
    11-13-16 03:47 PM
    U talking with the public, or just the government?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 03:49 PM
    Well, what we can be sure of is that Trump will NO WAY setup a private BlackBerry server that the White House is not aware about.
    11-14-16 10:19 AM
    As far as I know the only sector in tech that should be worried is the one that relies on H1B visas.
    11-14-16 10:23 AM
    As far as I know the only sector in tech that should be worried is the one that relies on H1B visas.
    Trump (and Republicans in general) hate net neutrality. This might concern say Netflix, but not BlackBerry. A reversal in what progress has been made here could hurt a lot of sites.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 11:28 AM

Nice find! I wonder how much influence he'll have in the affecting the White House. I can see him specifying BlackBerry for Justice though, where it's rumored he'll be Attorney General.
    11-14-16 11:55 AM
    I think Chen was right when he said that Trump won't hurt the tech business. I'd be more concerned about Trump's foreign policy as opposed to anything else.

Business in America will most likely benefit, providing that the president-elect doesn't push for too much economic intervention or government interference.

I don't think that the Republicans in the House and Senate would allow it even if Trump tried. The Democrats are going to spend the next two years scratching their heads while they wait for the midterms.

And the tech sector, as Chen said, should be relatively shielded compared to other industries. I'd be more concerned about oil and gas and the automotive sectors.

If anything though, Canada could lose more jobs to the US, if the corporate climate under a Trump Administration is seen as being more profitable than that under Trudeau's Liberals.

BlackBarry, in my opinion, should fear a carbon tax more than a Trump presidency. And I'm not a Trump fan. But I am a realist.
    Well, recently, China warned that if the U.S. were to place tariffs on Chinese products, they'll put tariffs on iPhones and U.S. cars. Sure, iPhones were specified and not all of the tech sector, but tech could be hurt by tariffs on other goods.
    11-14-16 12:02 PM
    Well, recently, China warned that if the U.S. were to place tariffs on Chinese products, they'll put tariffs on iPhones and U.S. cars. Sure, iPhones were specified and not all of the tech sector, but tech could be hurt by tariffs on other goods.
    Hence my mentioning government interference and intervention... aka protectionism, tariffs, etc. If the Republicans are truly for the free market, and if Trump really is as much of the businessman that he claims, they'll reject anything too harsh.
    11-14-16 03:44 PM
    I thought I read that Trump believes in backdoors for encryption for police and government? If this is true will it really matter what platform any of us use?

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-14-16 05:21 PM
    And remember it is not ONLY the US that is affected by any new President, it is the entire world.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-14-16 05:23 PM
    Hence my mentioning government interference and intervention... aka protectionism, tariffs, etc. If the Republicans are truly for the free market, and if Trump really is as much of the businessman that he claims, they'll reject anything too harsh.
    Republicans are for the free market until things fall apart, then it's fine to have the tax payers pick up the tab, ala 2008 financial crisis. As for Trump being a businessman, he lost almost $1 billion in a year. Yeah, the claim is that everyone in Atlantic City lost that year, but was it a wise to get into that business in the first place? And he only stayed afloat because banks were afraid of losing everything, i.e. "too big to fail" problem. Everyone is hoping the U.S. is too big to fail if the new administration decides to default on its loans, which are mostly held by Americans who are depending on those funds for retirement.
    11-14-16 05:28 PM
    I thought I read that Trump believes in backdoors for encryption for police and government? If this is true will it really matter what platform any of us use?
    Well, beyond the government snooping, it's still useful to protect your data from criminals.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-14-16 05:31 PM
    Deleted my post. Politics should not be part of this blog.
    11-14-16 05:45 PM
    This question about whether BlackBerry should benefit is probably the least important potential side effect of the USA election.
    Well, this is a BlackBerry forum, not a general politics one, so yes, there are much greater concerns and those concerns can be thoroughly explored elsewhere. I'm already sure my comment in post #14 will already rile up some people.
    11-14-16 05:52 PM
    I doubt it. Most of the people who are protesting the change in the is are collage age. And are not likely to care. They didn't before the Google was tracking every move they electrically made. Soon they will all change there diapers. Stop crying and it will all go back to the way it was

#luvmybb10os
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-15-16 08:47 AM
    Republicans are for the free market until things fall apart[for Themselves], then it's fine to have the tax payers pick up the tab, ala 2008 financial crisis.
    I've added what you meant. Haa Haa. yeah Trump is going to do what benefits Trump and probably don;t give a **** about anyone else including other republicans.
    11-15-16 09:11 AM
    I doubt it. Most of the people who are protesting the change in the is are collage age. And are not likely to care. They didn't before the Google was tracking every move they electrically made. Soon they will all change there diapers. Stop crying and it will all go back to the way it was

#luvmybb10os
    He won the election in part due to Twitter.
    11-15-16 09:12 AM
    Wow, OK. We're really going off topic here. I guess it's partly my fault. Sorry. Bottom line, I doubt that the US election results will have too big of an impact on technology firms.
    11-15-16 10:49 AM
    I am confused how BlackBerry will benefit. They have already announced they are leaving the Mobile phone business.
    11-15-16 11:27 AM
    I am confused how BlackBerry will benefit. They have already announced they are leaving the Mobile phone business.
    BlackBerry isn't just in the business of smartphones.
    11-15-16 11:42 AM
    BlackBerry isn't just in the business of smartphones.
    Right, but in the context of this site does it matter.
    11-15-16 05:48 PM
    Right, but in the context of this site does it matter.
    We have to discuss something.
    11-15-16 10:07 PM
26 12