I think that they should be able to - RIM has said that "dual-core is required for QNX", but QNX runs perfectly fine on single core processors and 1.2ghz should be more than enough.
    I can understand how 6 devices will not get 7, but I can't understand how RIM can try to make their 7 devices incapable of upgrading to qnx eventually.
    05-03-11 08:27 AM
    I seriously doubt it. They are focused on moving forward. Back porting to already in market devices is not something I can see them doing. They're going to want to hit the market with a splash when it comes out, new devices....
    05-03-11 08:32 AM
    It would be nice but I also doubt it.
    05-03-11 08:39 AM
    There is a possible reason why we might see a single core qnx and that is the 2012 Curves because it seems unlikely that dualcore chips will be low-end by the time those come out.
    05-04-11 12:06 PM
    Yes! The bigest thing that made older device incompatible is the lack of the GPU, slow processors, and general hardware specs. The qnx on the phones will not be entirely like the once on the playbook. Especially when it comes to multitastking, the background apps would be most likely paused rather then playing live. QNX is good. That's another reason why new blackberries have 8 gigs build in memorry. The new system will work differently and the app and phone space will be worked differently. So I wouldn't worry to much. I am 99 percent sure that QNX is coming to os 7 devices. When scascaled down, the phones are way more the capable for QNX

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 10:50 PM
    Yes! The bigest thing that made older device incompatible is the lack of the GPU, slow processors, and general hardware specs. The qnx on the phones will not be entirely like the once on the playbook. Especially when it comes to multitastking, the background apps would be most likely paused rather then playing live. QNX is good. That's another reason why new blackberries have 8 gigs build in memorry. The new system will work differently and the app and phone space will be worked differently. So I wouldn't worry to much. I am 99 percent sure that QNX is coming to os 7 devices. When scascaled down, the phones are way more the capable for QNX

Before you give out information, at least have some sort of source. If he buys an os7 phone now, and it isn't upgradable to QNX, he will only blame you.
    06-27-11 09:31 AM
    From what I have read across the tech world, the new phones will not be upgraded to QNX once it is released due to the lack of dual core chips. Also, forgive me if I am wrong, didn't RIM's CEO's mention the possibility of an OS 7.5 being released before QNX arrives during their earnings call a week or 2 ago?
    06-27-11 12:56 PM
    RIM has a terrible track record when it comes to updates. That being said, these coming devices probably mark the largest jump in specs from one generation to another- in a long time, if not ever. Add to that the fact that Engadget just ran a story speculating that a 10" Playbook is being scrapped to focus on the development of QNX phones, and they quote the specs as being the same as the Bold 9900.

The hardware is probably sufficient so it is possible, but not plausible.
    06-28-11 09:22 PM
    I'm thinking the new OS7 phones will be able to run QNX, at lease a version of it. Here's my logic behind this belief.

From what I understand of recent events inside RIM, the current batch of phones, already in production testing, was "U-turned" in the early spring to have their processors replaced to the 1.2GHz Snapdragon processor. It would have to be of substantial material benefit to absorb the significant cost and market impact, which we are all seeing now.

I think one of the intended benefits of the tactical change was to address the projected product vacuum QNX would cause if the pending products were technically not upgradeable. Who would buy a phone that has a OS that already has a published end-of-life ? Also, the market would pummel RIM for this technical "blunder" and we would continue seeing RIM perceived as a company stumbling along in the dark.

I fully realize I'm setting myself up to look completely stupid if I'm wrong, but it just doesn't make sense to make the current products without this upgrade path.
    dfb8085 likes this.
    07-24-11 10:00 AM
    I'm still pretty sure that rim plans to have the ttwo OSs coexist, with qnx for high end devices and BB7 for low end.

07-24-11 12:49 PM
    I hope that it will be upgradeable as i pre-ordered my bold 9900
    08-08-11 01:28 PM
    I'm pretty sure once they get QNX out the gate and majority of its kinks ironed out. They'll go back and optimize QNX for BB7 phones.

They said the 9700 would most likely not get BB6. But to my surprise. They actually came out with it.

So who knows. They probably can.
    08-19-11 04:36 AM
    Its no secret they made sucessfull tests on 1.2 GHz single core!

BUT qnx os may needs touch sensitive brezel for gestures! And rumors saying qnx colt will be dual core and full-touch without trackpad! So it will be more like a 4'' pb!

I think they will need some time to get things done! Devcon later this year will show how far they are with QNX OS!

I don't see QNX OS 2.0 until devcon! Until then this is pure speculation!

08-20-11 03:32 PM
    BUT qnx os may needs touch sensitive brezel for gestures!
    QNX needs what you want it to do - its a RTOS that even runs on much smaller processors. It's a minimal microkernel system on which you can build your device-os just like you want or need it.
    If it does make any sense, I�m sure they will make it work on the OS 7 devices. If not � no need for a change then!
    08-24-11 07:13 AM
    I doubt it. If they planned to do this then they would have announced it now since that would encourage people to buy now and not wait.
    08-24-11 07:22 AM
    I simply don't know - and don't care that much. I'm fine with BBOS, does anything we need.
    08-24-11 09:48 AM
    RIM needs to bring these things to the table, right from the word go:

1. Model range made-up of the QNX Bold, QNX Torch, and QNX Curve;

2. QNX Bold will be the ultimate messaging device, instead of replacing the Bold 9900/9930, it will be the successor of the Torch 9810, albeit with a keyboard on par with that of the Bold 9900 series;

3. All QNX phone-ranges must have a minimum of Super Amoled/qHD touchscreens, Dual-core processors, 1GB+ RAM, and 16GB internal memory (capable of storing apps, emails, sms, contacts, memo's, media, etc.);

4. The QNX Torch series will then become the iPhone/Android beaters of RIM's portfolio, continuously pushing the envelope within the mobile phone space, and making FULL USE of the QNX platform and Blackberry functionalities [4.3"+ Super Amoled/qHD touchscreens, Quad-core processors, 2GB+ RAM, and 64GB internal memory];

5. Updated notifications system, leveraging the superb BBOS system to create a truly updated and class-leading solution, bringing-in iOS5, Android and WebOS style features (especially actionable pop-up notifications accross all apps in-use);

6. ALL phone-ranges will need to be thinner, lighter and far better designed than ever before. The OS7 devices are on the right track, but RIM needs to far exceed this to get the attention of the consumer market (Take a page from Samsung and HTC);

7. Launch globally. If not simultaneously, then The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, and MENA, should all have the devices within 2 weeks of the first market. Do not rely on established OECD markets with a heavy bias toward iOS and Android devices. Reviews may be made to simply throw your customers off the very idea of buying the new QNXmobiles; know your client, your market and where the true growth is. Follow the model of the brilliantly-worked OS7 roll-out;

8. Lastly, perfect the Android app-player for QNX mobiles, release the native SDK for the phones FAR BEFORE the release date of the first QNXmobile devices, and do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to bring-in the very best app developers out there. At least the 5,000 top selling/downloaded apps from across the ecosystems (IE: iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows Phone, and Symbian/MeeGo), should be available for the first QNXmobiles, FROM LAUNCH;

Do all these with a re-focused management team, marketing that at least meets the standards of HTC, APPLE, and Samsung, and commit fully to the QNXmobile project (whilst keeping loyal consumer and business fans and clients fully on-board throughout), and RIM, you will have a seriously outperforming device lineup with sales exceeding anything the market watchers are giving you hope for.

Heres to hoping RIM, the Crackberry Nation, and all the new budding QNXmobile fans of the (very) near future, can bring a vision of this type to fruition.

Roll-on 2012......
    Last edited by visceralberry; 08-26-11 at 04:48 AM.
    08-24-11 01:08 PM
    Please stop spamming your flawed manifesto for qnx phones all over this board.
    08-25-11 03:56 AM
    I've posted it on three threads. That is not spam, neither is it a manifesto @Skeevecr. It's called an opinion, which I would have thought the forum is for.

If you have an opinion on this actual topic, feel free to share with us.
    08-25-11 08:51 AM
    I've posted it on three threads. That is not spam, neither is it a manifesto @Skeevecr. It's called an opinion, which I would have thought the forum is for.

If you have an opinion on this actual topic, feel free to share with us.
    Having an opinion is one thing, what you have done is simply copy and paste exactly the same post into several topics when one would have been plenty and indeed the one where I replied to your post did seem to be a completely suitable topic for your post even if I did disagree with plenty of your suggestions.

If you were insecure enough to think that your post might have got lost in a larger topic then you could even make the case to post it again in its own topic like you did even if that would just tend to get ignored as it wouldn't be as active as the other topic, but posting it into this one as well where the link is far more tenuous would clearly be classed as spam and not opinion.
    08-25-11 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD