Hi everyone,
    As much as I know the performance value using a native app, there are apps for which I don't have a very high expectation of ever coming over to BB.
    One of the very first things I ever do on a new phone device (as I will do when Z10 hits the US) is to load my music streaming service apps and my high bitrate music files onto it.
    My absolute favorite streaming service is MOG (I feel its (more balanced) sound quality is slightly superior to even Spotify's highest quality streaming). It also has very good radio functionality.
    MOG has very good ios and Android apps, but they completely ignore BB. My hope is that apk conversions that failed for the QNX Gingerbread VM would "magically" work in the new BB10 Jelly Bean VM.
    Do you think this is a realistic wish?
    Thanks for any insight.
    02-08-13 11:37 AM
    It depends on the original reason why the app didn't work.

If an Android app has any native code, it will not work in the BB10 android player. An updated android version for the player won't fix this.

If an Android app is 100% java, and it requires a version of android above 2.3, it might work in updated player.

Most apps that don't work are due to the first reason.
    02-08-13 11:49 AM
    It's possible, however I wouldn't be expecting the Jellybean update to Runtime anytime soon. There are no release dates, only a statement that they plan on doing it at some point.
    lwaysluking likes this.
    02-08-13 11:50 AM
    It's possible, however I wouldn't be expecting the Jellybean update to Runtime anytime soon. There are no release dates, only a statement that they plan on doing it at some point.
    I'd guess it will be there before the US launch, actually. My guess is that a number of apps that are desired for launch will be depending on it (Skype, for instance).
    02-08-13 11:59 AM
    Won't be available for US launch. OS 10.1 will come with the Q10 and the updated Android player is planned for an OS upgrade after 10.1.
    lwaysluking likes this.
    02-08-13 12:23 PM
    Looks like I found the thread I've been looking for, thanks for this info. I saw the MOG apk added to goodereader on 3/23/13 and was hopeful someone had figured out a way to make this work.

Is this an app that's worked on pre-BB10 builds at all? I'm on 7.1.0

MOG is the ONLY reason I've been considering leaving my 9930 and PB behind for Samsung. But then I think about bridge, battery life, etc. and I decide to stay. If I could get MOG, my current devices would have everything I'll ever need, 4G be damned.
    04-10-13 09:18 AM
    Looks like I found the thread I've been looking for, thanks for this info. I saw the MOG apk added to goodereader on 3/23/13 and was hopeful someone had figured out a way to make this work.

Is this an app that's worked on pre-BB10 builds at all? I'm on 7.1.0

MOG is the ONLY reason I've been considering leaving my 9930 and PB behind for Samsung. But then I think about bridge, battery life, etc. and I decide to stay. If I could get MOG, my current devices would have everything I'll ever need, 4G be damned.
    LOL - a fellow "MOGGITE". I'm with you on this one. MOG is so freaking awesome, and the sound quality is second to no other streaming service. I've NEVER been able to get MOG to work through Flash on the Playbook or Z10 browser, and I've never seen it working as an android conversion on ANY BB device, let alone pre-BB10 builds. (In fact, if you visit MOG's feature request blog, you will become depressed when you realize the lack of love they appear to have for BB). I'm surprised a bar file has wound up on goodereader. When I get home later this evening, I'll sideload it and see if it actually works. I'll report the results back into this thread to address your curiosity. Don't get your hopes up though. Not every file on goodereader works properly, though a great effort is made to verify file functionality to some extent.
    04-10-13 05:54 PM
    I should've mentioned I sideloaded the goodereader on my PB and I get a nice MOG icon but that's it. When I run it it says "Sorry! The application MOG (process com.mog.android has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Force close

I'm not holding my breath for PB to get the flash update either. Not even sure that's the issue but it could be (same reason most Amazon Prime content won't stream). OR, MOG is actively blocking the PB browser.
    04-11-13 12:30 PM
    I should've mentioned I sideloaded the goodereader on my PB and I get a nice MOG icon but that's it. When I run it it says "Sorry! The application MOG (process com.mog.android has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Force close

I'm not holding my breath for PB to get the flash update either. Not even sure that's the issue but it could be (same reason most Amazon Prime content won't stream). OR, MOG is actively blocking the PB browser.
    I hate to say I had the same failed results.
    The MOG app you saw on Goodereader was actually an Android apk in its native form and not a bar file. It was there as part of Goodereader's Android market. I downloaded it anyway and converted it to a playbook/bb10 bar file. When I saw the pretty Mog icon, I got excited and hopeful. In the end, I was greeted with the exact message you saw.
    I agree that Mog is probably blocking the Playbook from streaming via the browser. Everything appears to work fine until you actually play a song. It even takes you as far as the candy cane looking progress bar, which looks like it's buffering the track , only to disappoint again when not a single sound comes out. As much as I love it, this makes me HATE Mog!!!
    04-11-13 10:48 PM
    I'm thinking of just picking up a cheap android tab so I can run the MOG app, hotspot my Bold and I'm good to go. Not sure what to expect over 3G bitrate wise. It could be a cheap enough experiment with something like the Nextbook 7SE that's "Google Certified." If it works, I'll have no reservations about moving to the Q10 when the time is right.
    04-17-13 11:00 AM