I love my Passport but I mainly use android apps on it. Of course we all know android apps can get buggy google hangouts is completely not working. I want to buy the Priv but not much fan of slider phone and 699 price tag. Just wonder if anyone heard BlackBerry will get the official Google play services for existing BlackBerry devices.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 06:14 PM
    I doubt it, given the launch of the Priv. I believe that was Thor's original intent but exactly what went wrong with it is unknown; those who know haven't talked.
    10-23-15 06:17 PM
    Google does not extend licenses to non-Android phones. You'll need to switch to Priv.
    BlackGuy likes this.
    10-23-15 06:26 PM
    Nope.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2789
    10-23-15 06:27 PM
    I'd imagine that BlackBerry is thinking that users who want Google Play Services would just switch to the Priv.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    10-23-15 06:28 PM
    No, there would then be no need for the Priv. Your best bet is follow Cobalt link on how to patch Services and download Google Play Store etc.
    Saying all that, the are many apps you just cant patch properly. Every new update on Android app is becoming more restrictive to any patching.

Posted from my Z30 with Google Play Store
    10-23-15 06:51 PM
    Google does not extend licenses to non-Android phones. You'll need to switch to Priv.
    None on iOS? This blows me away! I had no idea!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 08:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nope. No Google Play on Apple.

Google has ported some of their apps to iOS, but not their services. Apple has their own backend services.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 10:06 PM
    They are correct. iOS does not have Google Play Services or access to the Google Play Store, both of which are Android-specific services. What they do have are native iOS apps developed by Google - but that is not at all the same thing

Google could just as easily develop native Google apps for BB10, or WinPhone, or Sailfish, or Tizen, etc., but there aren't enough users on any of those platforms to make it economically feasible to do so. Apple is not only the second-largest platform in terms of users, but was the largest platform when Google first wrote Google apps for iOS, and still owns nearly half of the lucrative US market, along with the top-end of most other smartphone markets, so there's lots of money to be made by Google from iOS users. The same cannot be said of any other platform.
    10-23-15 10:24 PM
    In fact, Google actually made a Maps app for BBOS. But, they stopped development back in 2010, if memory serves.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 10:32 PM
    The general consensus seems to be no and that it can't be done. Still I would like to see it happen but at the very least it would be nice to see an updated run time.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 09:32 AM
    Even worse the Android runtime most likely won't be developed any further, so BB10 will be stuck with 4.3 Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 04:37 PM
    Even worse the Android runtime most likely won't be developed any further, so BB10 will be stuck with 4.3 Android.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case then BB10 will be a walking dead OS. The only thing that makes it somewhat usable is the ability to install Android apps.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    11-07-15 11:12 AM
    If that's the case then BB10 will be a walking dead OS. The only thing that makes it somewhat usable is the ability to install Android apps.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    Confirmed http://devblog.blackberry.com/2015/1...-10-developers
    11-09-15 02:17 AM
    In fact, Google actually made a Maps app for BBOS. But, they stopped development back in 2010, if memory serves.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Had it on my Bolds. They also had a version for Symbian that I ran on my Nokia E71. :-)
    11-09-15 01:20 PM
    They didn't explicitly mention the Android version as staying at 4.3 though I would be shocked if it were upgraded at all. They did say that Qt5 would not be coming. We already knew that.
    11-09-15 01:30 PM
    They didn't explicitly mention the Android version as staying at 4.3 though I would be shocked if it were upgraded at all. They did say that Qt5 would not be coming. We already knew that.
    "Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 – BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10."
    11-09-15 02:15 PM
    "Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 – BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10."
    Lol. I fail at reading. I was skimming looking for a version number. Not that I was actually expecting anything different. ;-)
    11-09-15 10:03 PM
    "Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 � BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10."
    So does this mean they won't be updating the Runtime or will they?

Here Privie Privie Privie....
    11-11-15 02:05 PM
    So does this mean they won't be updating the Runtime or will they?

Here Privie Privie Privie....
    Pretty clear they are supporting the current release... .and no more.
    11-11-15 02:20 PM
    That's the way I understand the statement. Otherwise they would not state they plan to keep supporting the current release. If they would be working on an updating release, there is no reason mentioning the current version at all.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-11-15 02:35 PM
    They are correct. iOS does not have Google Play Services or access to the Google Play Store, both of which are Android-specific services. What they do have are native iOS apps developed by Google - but that is not at all the same thing

Google could just as easily develop native Google apps for BB10, or WinPhone, or Sailfish, or Tizen, etc., but there aren't enough users on any of those platforms to make it economically feasible to do so. Apple is not only the second-largest platform in terms of users, but was the largest platform when Google first wrote Google apps for iOS, and still owns nearly half of the lucrative US market, along with the top-end of most other smartphone markets, so there's lots of money to be made by Google from iOS users. The same cannot be said of any other platform.
    You are correct, technically no Google Services on iOS. But are not all of Goggle's apps available to iOS? GApps are not "Android", anyways, they are proprietary apps produced by Google. Whether or not they come with Google Services is also moot considering that the apps still work in a manner that users expect. And why would anyone on iOS even need Play?

Considering that Google has earned enough money to buy a couple of small countries with enough cash left over to still go out for drinks later, and all by giving away nearly their entire product line for free, I'd say they definitely can afford to bring GApps to BB10 and/or WinPhone, et al. I am not sure what the deal is with WinPhone but a native Built for BlackBerry app, say GMaps, would require the ability to turn on and off all permissions based solely on the users' wishes, like with all Built for BlackBerry apps. In short: Google could not lock certain permissions permanently "on" to continuously collect data as is done with Android. If they cannot collect your data they cannot monetize from you. I'd bet a case of beer that is the sole reason.

It is in Google's best interests to get Play/GApps on as many electronic devices as possible. And that is exactly they hope (TV, watch, automobile, and so on. Phones, of course, too).
    11-24-15 01:58 PM
    I don't necessarily think this means they may not eventually update ART, only that the current release is what they sticking to for now.

And ART comes from AOSP, no agreements with with Google necessary. They can go with the latest version and still not be in violation of what-ever as long as they do not ship (BB10) with preloaded GApps and Services. Otherwise ZTE, Kyocera, Huawei, and perhaps one or two more would all be in violation of "OHA rules"/Google compliance, and they most certainly are not.

Is the OHA even real?
    11-24-15 02:11 PM
    I don't necessarily think this means they may not eventually update ART, only that the current release is what they sticking to for now.

And ART comes from AOSP, no agreements with with Google necessary. They can go with the latest version and still not be in violation of what-ever as long as they do not ship (BB10) with preloaded GApps and Services. Otherwise ZTE, Kyocera, Huawei, and perhaps one or two more would all be in violation of "OHA rules"/Google compliance, and they most certainly are not.

Is the OHA even real?
    Anything is possible. Some guy posted today in the PlayBook forum.... hoping for an update to the PlayBook Runtime. I expect there will be many here still hoping that BlackBerry will update the BB10 runtime years from now.

Maybe you are right and maybe BlackBerry could release a BB10 device if they wanted too. But it sure looks like they currently have no plans to release another BB10 device, thus there really isn't much of a reason "invest" in the OS anymore. And Chen seemed pretty clear that the PRIV and Android were the future of the hardware business....

I think if there were plans to at the minimum keep one BB10 line "current" for enterprise and government (as some believe is necessary) that BlackBerry would let both customers and developers know that it would be that committed. That isn't the message that BlackBerry is putting out...
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    11-24-15 02:34 PM
    Anything is possible. Some guy posted today in the PlayBook forum.... hoping for an update to the PlayBook Runtime. I expect there will be many here still hoping that BlackBerry will update the BB10 runtime years from now.

Maybe you are right and maybe BlackBerry could release a BB10 device if they wanted too. But it sure looks like they currently have no plans to release another BB10 device, thus there really isn't much of a reason "invest" in the OS anymore. And Chen seemed pretty clear that the PRIV and Android were the future of the hardware business....

I think if there were plans to at the minimum keep one BB10 line "current" for enterprise and government (as some believe is necessary) that BlackBerry would let both customers and developers know that it would be that committed. That isn't the message that BlackBerry is putting out...
    I am definitely a fan, no doubt about it. I can see a few scenarios where BB10 lives on for at least a few more years. However, I also assume no new BB10s, too. You are right, if they had plans for continuance then why have they not said so? Then again, no one at BlackBerry, not one, has said BB10 is dead, dying, on its way out, and so on either. I mean, I believe that stock prices would raise if they announced that BB10 was officially a thing of the past. Heck, I bet that half of CrackBerry would cheer at the news, too. It serves no one, most of all BlackBerry, to keep dragging around the dead horse that is BB10-- assuming it is actually dead of course. The false hope of BB10 just to sell off remaining stock also makes zero sense considering that at this point in time the majority, if not all, of sales would likely be to the diehards, and diehards are most likely aware of the situation...

Over the last month or so, Chen also said that he cannot afford to maintain two OSs right now, that he would get out of hardware if need be; to claiming to have no desire to leave hardware, and that the market will decide for him what to do. That is quite the arc and one that only leads to more confusion considering that it is always about "hardware" and never specifically about BB10 or Android. The few times Chen has been asked about BB10 he avoids answering the question completely yet typically included a quip about how BB10 is the most secure or how fans really love BB10.

Reporter: "What is the future of BB10?"
    Chen: "My wife says I sleep with my BB10 more than I do with her. That is how much the fans love BB10. I'll answer the question shortly, I really will, but first I want to say... ...random gibberish... ...the market will tell me what they want."
    car474 likes this.
    11-25-15 09:07 AM
62 123