Just because you didn't invent something does not mean that a patent on a new use of existing technology shouldn't be awarded. obviously Apple is not popular here but to deny that their utility patents are not valid simply because the technology was available previously is not fair. Pinch to zoom was not being done before the iphone. Apple is not claiming they invented touchscreens, they are claiming they came up with new ways to use the touch screen which is patentable.
    They didn't invent pinch to zoom it existed before the iphone therefore there patent should be invalidated.
    08-29-12 12:20 PM
    They didn't invent pinch to zoom it existed before the iphone therefore there patent should be invalidated.
    That's not how patent law works. Patents have context.
    08-29-12 12:27 PM
    That's not how patent law works. Patents have context.
    How prior art is used against a patent?

A patent cannot claim something that already exists, nor can it claim something obvious. To determine this, patent examination always involves looking for prior art, earlier publications that show the invention is not new or is obvious.

One of the reasons that a patent system exists is to reward inventors for disclosing their invention to the public. This implies that an invention should be new, because otherwise the inventor would get a reward for telling us something we already know. An important aspect of the patent system therefore is the determination of novelty (and obviousness) of an invention. If examination reveals that an invention is not novel, the patent application is rejected. And even if the patent is granted, it can still be annulled by a court if the court finds that the invention wasn't novel after all.

When is something prior art?

To determine whether something is prior art, the filing date of the patent application or patent in question is crucial. If the publication or disclosure was made before the day of filing, it counts as prior art. It doesn't matter how long before the day of filing the publication was made.
    ekafara likes this.
    08-29-12 12:34 PM
    I hope they lose their pinch to zoom patent, then their swype to unlock patent, then their tap to zoom patent, then the patent for the rounded corners(which includes the flat face and a few other things). I find it ridiculous how many patents have been awarded to Apple which have prior art to show they shouldnt have been given out.
    08-29-12 08:36 PM
    Sounds like the perfect time for RIM to pursue that thumb zoom thing. They could definitely use that as a serious distinguishing feature from the competition. Not to mention buying it and locking it off would leave the competition flat footed if Apple does intend to pursue litigation against Android.
    08-29-12 09:25 PM
    Who cares about what Apple creates anyways they are such limited in function..
    08-30-12 12:11 AM
    Who cares about what Apple creates anyways they are such limited in function..

Limited in function?? I own Apple products including the iphone 4, Imac and Ipad 2. Even though I wouldn't trade my BlackBerry Bold, Apple sets the standards for others to follow. Quality and customer care are number one. Limited Function Really?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    08-30-12 12:18 AM
    Limited in function?? I own Apple products including the iphone 4, Imac and Ipad 2. Even though I wouldn't trade my BlackBerry Bold, Apple sets the standards for others to follow. Quality and customer care are number one. Limited Function Really?

I'm sure by 'other' you mean Samsung? and some Chinese remakes? This here is BlackBerry, and I don't think Apple has set any standard that BlackBerry follows...

Quality and Customer care are very subjective and sell at a premium. You get what you pay for..

Common.. it's 2012.. We have 2000+ makes of phones already out in the market.. You need to move on..
    08-30-12 12:25 AM
    I'm sure by 'other' you mean Samsung? and some Chinese remakes? This here is BlackBerry, and I don't think Apple has set any standard that BlackBerry follows...

Quality and Customer care are very subjective and sell at a premium. You get what you pay for..

Common.. it's 2012.. We have 2000+ makes of phones already out in the market.. You need to move on..

I guess the Storm, Storm 2 and Torch wasn't made to compete with the Iphone. Am I missing something here? Apple does set the standard in tech. Doesn't matter if you like Apple or not, it is what it is.

08-30-12 12:40 AM
    Oh so because they are touch screen devices they are all derived from Apple?

OP, the pinch to zoom patent is worthless..
    08-30-12 01:53 AM
    Up to this point I would agree, but not for a lack of trying....

The real problem with Apple's patent victory, is it will get all the big mobile players very worried about protecting themselves with as many patents as they can get a hold of.

Right now RIM is a struggling company (they could be bought cheaply), but they hold a large number of mobile patents. So I wouldn't worry about Apple not letting RIM do Pinch-Zooming, but more about someone with big pockets coming in and buy RIM for ONLY their patents.

If Apple were smart they could take a months profits....
    08-30-12 09:33 AM
    http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670652/will-apples-pinch-to-zoom-patent-victory-create-a-usability-

Direct link to the article since the poster forgot it. :P

I used to work with a website and it would make me so POed when people would copy and paste entire articles. Please give this guy a hit and a few minutes of page view for writing a compelling article.
    08-30-12 09:53 AM
    http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670652/will-apples-pinch-to-zoom-patent-victory-create-a-usability-

Direct link to the article since the poster forgot it. :P

I used to work with a website and it would make me so POed when people would copy and paste entire articles. Please give this guy a hit and a few minutes of page view for writing a compelling article.
    If you read my second post you'd realize why - the word H3LL appeared in the URL and it wouldn't let me post it

It kept coming up as:

"www.fastcodesign.com/1670652/will-apples-pinch-to-zoom-patent-victory-create-a-usability[b][/b"

....and I thought the link was broken.....

It makes me POed when people don't read posts in a thread and just jump to conclusions....

Of course i'm just being a cheeky bugger before anyone gets their panties in a twist....

Last edited by gwanstarr; 08-30-12 at 10:11 AM.
    08-30-12 09:59 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD