If RIM is indeed coming out with a Torch 2 , Bold 3 and a Storm 3, does anyone think that at least ONE of these will be availible for Sprint? and hopefully within 1st or 2nd Q?
    01-16-11 08:59 AM
    Hopefully with the new SoC's coming out that support GSM/UMTS/CDMA/HSPA+, they will be able to make both with simple radio changes. Next iPhone is rumored to be a world phone to make it releasable on any carrier and Apple will still only have to support a single platform. RIM should be doing the same thing as it would allow them to deploy phones quicker. Also CDMA has about 550 Million subscribers worldwide, with 300 Million of those in the Asia Pacific, which RIM is trying to push gear into now!
    01-16-11 10:52 AM
    Nobody really knows...

I assume the Curve(Apollo), and maybe the Bold(Dakota) will go to almost all carriers... and Sprint did get the Style as an OS6 device (AT&T got the Torch, but VZW and T-Mo didn't get any 'new' OS6 device this past year at all).

Imo, the Monaco (S3) will go to VZW and will hopefully be released BEFORE the rest of the devices. Again, the Dakota and Apollo will go to all (but they will probably be released for AT&T first, since that seems like how it worked in the past), and the Torch2 will probably go to AT&T...

Unless there is no exclusivity with VZW, the Monaco probably won't go to Sprint... and so far AT&T has exclusivity over the Torch.. so no luck there.
    But I assume that Sprint will definitely get at least the Apollo and most likely the Dakota.

THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION BACKED UP BY TRENDS AND MY OWN LOGIC... nothing conclusive...
    01-16-11 02:36 PM
    If I was a betting woman, I'd say that any time RIM releases a Curve phone, Sprint will get it. Sprint seems to love the Curve line and releases one as soon as they come out.

I however would LOVE to see Sprint get the Torch2 or the Storm3 but that'll likely never happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 07:46 PM
    I hope Sprint gets the Dakota - we'll probably know in a few months.
    01-16-11 10:42 PM
    Nobody really knows...

I assume the Curve(Apollo), and maybe the Bold(Dakota) will go to almost all carriers... and Sprint did get the Style as an OS6 device (AT&T got the Torch, but VZW and T-Mo didn't get any 'new' OS6 device this past year at all).

Imo, the Monaco (S3) will go to VZW and will hopefully be released BEFORE the rest of the devices. Again, the Dakota and Apollo will go to all (but they will probably be released for AT&T first, since that seems like how it worked in the past), and the Torch2 will probably go to AT&T...

Unless there is no exclusivity with VZW, the Monaco probably won't go to Sprint... and so far AT&T has exclusivity over the Torch.. so no luck there.
    But I assume that Sprint will definitely get at least the Apollo and most likely the Dakota.

THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION BACKED UP BY TRENDS AND MY OWN LOGIC... nothing conclusive...
    I tend to agree with all of this and feel the same. Since the Tours are now Bolds, I doubt they'll make two separate designed phones between CDMA/GSM. I think the Dakota (Bold) will just come to all carriers along with the Curve like you say. Verizon will get the Monaco (Storm 3) exclusively. The Torch 2 will go to AT&T. Hopefully they won't make TOO many models to confuse people.
    01-17-11 12:42 AM
    Once again, Sprint refuses to take a gamble and step outside the BB Curve safety zone.

01-17-11 12:58 AM
    CDMA is not supported around the world, GSM is. Just thought I should include that. If they combine GSM/UTMS/HSPA+/CDMA, everybody will have equal phones. Simple.

01-17-11 01:14 AM
    If I was a betting woman, I'd say that any time RIM releases a Curve phone, Sprint will get it. Sprint seems to love the Curve line and releases one as soon as they come out.

I however would LOVE to see Sprint get the Torch2 or the Storm3 but that'll likely never happen.

Sprint reps and BlackBerry reps while not being able to confirm or deny anything, both reinterrated that at&t LOSES thier exclusive carrier only for the Torch in mid-February, and they both agree it'd be a very popular seller on other carriers
    01-17-11 09:06 AM
    I really hope that the Storm 3 goes to Verizon. I know that based on past history it should, however with there being so many signs that Verizon and RIM are not very happy with each other these days, who knows...

If the Storm 3 goes to Verizon, anyone think we'll see it within the next few months??
    01-17-11 09:34 AM
    CDMA is not supported around the world, GSM is. Just thought I should include that. If they combine GSM/UTMS/HSPA+/CDMA, everybody will have equal phones. Simple.

There are more CDMA2000, 1X, and EVDO subscribers outside of North America than inside of North America, most are in Asia Pacific.
    01-17-11 10:19 AM
    Once again, Sprint refuses to take a gamble and step outside the BB Curve safety zone.

I'd say the Style is stepping outside the Curve safety zone.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    01-17-11 10:20 AM
    I'd say the Style is stepping outside the Curve safety zone.

Not really. IMO, it's cute but nothing to write home about.

01-17-11 10:28 AM

What don't they have that BB has sold/offered to them? They carried the Curves, 8830, Tour and new Bold (Tour2). They got the Style. Storm was an exclusive to VZW so blame RIM for that one. Torch has been an AT&T exclusive up until next month. Only device I can think of in there was the Bold 9000, and they never released a CDMA variant at all.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    01-17-11 10:31 AM

LOL...you should have held that thought...

lack of knowledge this one has...

Cdma world coverage image
    01-17-11 10:59 AM
    What don't they have that BB has sold/offered to them? They carried the Curves, 8830, Tour and new Bold (Tour2). They got the Style. Storm was an exclusive to VZW so blame RIM for that one. Torch has been an AT&T exclusive up until next month. Only device I can think of in there was the Bold 9000, and they never released a CDMA variant at all.

Touch. Screen.

It doesn't have to be a Storm or a Torch. Something CDMA exclusive to Sprint that is a touch screen phone. The only phones Sprint has ever gotten exclusive rights to until the flip BB came along was Curves and Bolds. The 8530 first, then the "new" Curve 3G while ATT and Vzw got the exclusives on the Torch, iPhone and the Storm.

01-17-11 12:43 PM
    Touch. Screen.

It doesn't have to be a Storm or a Torch. Something CDMA exclusive to Sprint that is a touch screen phone. The only phones Sprint has ever gotten exclusive rights to until the flip BB came along was Curves and Bolds. The 8530 first, then the "new" Curve 3G while ATT and Vzw got the exclusives on the Torch, iPhone and the Storm.

RIM will have to build a touch screen for Sprint. RIM's exclusive deals have prevented this from happening so far. I'm just as frustrated about it too, but in the end it is RIM's fault, not Sprints.
    01-17-11 03:54 PM
    And it looks like Sprint's big announcement is a 3D Droid. (Yawn)

01-17-11 08:12 PM
    How can at&t lose exclusive rights to a phone that they put in a lot of investment into?

I thought at&t and blackberry came together on this project..

01-17-11 09:19 PM
    How can at&t lose exclusive rights to a phone that they put in a lot of investment into?

I thought at&t and blackberry came together on this project..

at&t only had a six month exclusive to the BB Torch (I was told by reps from the BlackBerry Store who sell all BB carriers) and that IF Sprint or Verizon or even T-Mobile wanted too, they could start selling the Torch themselves after February 04, if they have an agreement with RIM
    01-20-11 02:37 PM
    Nobody really knows...

VZ has never had a 9000 though.

01-20-11 02:47 PM
    VZ has never had a 9000 though.
    I think the crucial point to rim is that VZW/Sprint have had a bold before so them not getting a cdma version of dakota does seem to be pretty unlikely.
    01-21-11 10:04 AM
    I think the crucial point to rim is that VZW/Sprint have had a bold before so them not getting a cdma version of dakota does seem to be pretty unlikely.
    Agreed, when they finally brought the Bold to Sprint (Tour 2) they made it clear that they want to expand that style of BlackBerry to CDMA. Now the time frame on that is still fuzzy.

I'm hoping it's soon. I would like a new BlackBerry, but not at the expense of it being no good.

01-21-11 11:55 AM
    Everyone will get the new Curve(s) eventually.
    Storm 3 will be on at least one CDMA (VZW) and one GSM (TMO) carrier.
    Dakota will go to ATT and TMO.
    01-21-11 12:07 PM
    Everyone will get the new Curve(s) eventually.
    Storm 3 will be on at least one CDMA (VZW) and one GSM (TMO) carrier.
    Dakota will go to ATT and TMO.
    Wow. That leaves Sprint with little more than the Style. I'm not sure I want to live in a world where my only BlackBerry Options are the BlackBerry Style. (Sarcasm Alert)

01-21-11 12:44 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD