so I am on vacation at my parents house and I am trying to get my S2 to use the wifi... The icon is greyed out but when I go to the manage option it says it is connected... All the computer are connecting to the router fine and there does not seem to be any problem with the internet. What gives?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-09 05:13 PM
    its fine, it just means its not connected to BIS thru the WIFI connection
    12-26-09 05:17 PM
    I don't get it... Does that mean I can't use my phone at wifi speeds?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-09 05:19 PM
    no it means you cant get email, any push notifications (facebook, myspace etc), BBM or the internet browser setting in the default browser to work over wifi at that second. You can get all other apps and the "hotspot browser" setting to work though. It should connect and go white though after a few seconds usually, then you have everything from RIM running thru the WIFI also
    12-26-09 05:27 PM
    Forum Moderator: howarmat has spoken some really important words here, but not enough people are seeing them! What to do ? Doctor Neutron
    12-26-09 06:56 PM
    I don't get it... Does that mean I can't use my phone at wifi speeds?
    A bit OT, and FWIW, my S2 VZW 3G download speed is frequently faster than my WiFi speed--tested using both Xtreme Labs Speedtest and cnet.com speed test. I'm on Verizon FIOS 25 Mbps here, and a solid "five bar" 3G w/BB symbol connection.

Just now tested (5:10p PST) in Portland, OR, and Speedtest returned 3,200 kbps for 3G and 2,300 for WiFi (yes, the radio was turned off for the WiFi test).
    12-26-09 07:16 PM
    A bit OT, and FWIW, my S2 VZW 3G download speed is frequently faster than my WiFi speed--tested using both Xtreme Labs Speedtest and cnet.com speed test. I'm on Verizon FIOS 25 Mbps here, and a solid "five bar" 3G w/BB symbol connection.

Just now tested (5:10p PST) in Portland, OR, and Speedtest returned 3,200 kbps for 3G and 2,300 for WiFi (yes, the radio was turned off for the WiFi test).
    yeah here in BFE IL im next to a VZW tower so my 3G is about the same as yours and WIFI is like 1700 or so

At home near Indy, WIFI is 3000ish but 3G is far less like 600 or so.

So YMMV with what is better but most times i have found WIFI to be faster
    12-26-09 07:20 PM
    ...but 3G is far less like 600 or so...
    Still pretty impressive for a cell phone--600 kbps is wired DSL speed . I'll take it...
    12-26-09 07:24 PM
    BB wifi is provisioned by carriers and different carrier handle it differently. wifi is the physical layer while BIS is a higher level protocol handling push mail, part of Internet route, etc.

You can connect browser and app through wifi directly without BIS.
    12-26-09 07:38 PM
    BB wifi is provisioned by carriers and different carrier handle it differently. wifi is the physical layer while BIS is a higher level protocol handling push mail, part of Internet route, etc.

You can connect browser and app through wifi directly without BIS
    correct! VZW and RIM will tell you otherwise though
    12-26-09 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD