Is it possible to use WiFi without going to UMA? If so how?
    08-23-09 04:43 PM
    Wifi and UMA, even though they both use a Wireless Router, they are separate things... UMA is for calls... Wifi is for data.
    08-23-09 04:47 PM
    So my phone automatically uses UMA when I am connected to WiFi. My question is, can I disable UMA and still use WiFi?
    08-23-09 04:55 PM
    Yes, it is possible, I can't understand why anybody would choose to do it.

Usually, it is the other way around, getting UMA to enable is often the problem.

There is a simple way to do it:

Options / Security Options / Certificates.

Locate and delete T-Mobile USA, inv. Engineering and Operations CA or Ca.Rogers.Com.

In practice, I would suggest emailing a copy of the certificate to yourself, just in case you decide to re-enable UMA.

08-23-09 05:02 PM
    Well the problem I am having is the internet at my parents house is not that great. If I am in the middle of a call and my family start to use the internet my call gets choppy. I would like to use the WiFi as its faster than EDGE but not for calls. I will try that method but I dont like the deleting part. I was hoping there was a "disable UMA" checkbox.
    08-23-09 05:06 PM
    I see, unusual situation.

There is more complicated way, it does not require deleted anything, and is instantly reversable.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/

The key step is to create a new UMA profile, but leave it blank.

If you need to switch it back, it as simple as changing the active profile.
    08-23-09 05:10 PM
    Is it possible to use WiFi without going to UMA? If so how?
    UMA is turned off and on in manage connections > mobile network options > connection preference. Set it to mobile network only and all calls will be over mobile network. When you want to use UMA again set it to wifi preferred.
    08-23-09 05:41 PM
    UMA is turned off and on in manage connections > mobile network options > connection preference. Set it to mobile network only and all calls will be over mobile network. When you want to use UMA again set it to wifi preferred.
    I had seen that before but didnt switch it. Thank you! I am actually using Mobile Network Preferred. Whats the difference?
    08-23-09 06:03 PM
    When set to only, it will only use that type of connection. In preferred it will use that connection type until it has a weak signal and then switch to the other type, and when signal comes in again for the original connection type it will revert back to it.
    08-23-09 06:12 PM
    Yea I just noticed that. If I go into my basement where signal is not so good it switches to UMA. I think this is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you again!
    08-23-09 06:22 PM
    No problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 06:23 PM
    Yea this is a MUCH easier decision than what Reed is suggesting. Sorry Reed (you are still a legend in my book)!!!!
    08-23-09 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD