I just purchased a Blackberry Bold, and this is my first blackberry.

I don't have a data plan set up and I'm trying to get my wifi to work. I've followed all the instructions in the sticky, but I'm guessing that AT&T has a restriction on WIFI usage without a data plan??

Can someone confirm this? Is there any way I can tweak it or unlock it, so I can use WIFI without AT&T Data plan?
    02-08-09 04:51 PM
    This is how i got it to work:
    Turn the data services on (becarefull if you use the browser without being connected to wifi it will use the 3g thus charging you per kb) make sure your default browser is Hotspot by going into advance options and browser.
    Connect to your wifi
    and it will work.
    now since i also dont have a data plan but i do keep the wifi on,
    i called att to out a data block on my account that way i leave the data services on and still use wifi.

let me know if this helps
    02-08-09 05:08 PM
    The WiFi feature itself is freely available, so you can use it at home, your school, and anyplace else that you get free or paid access to wifi; BUT if you want access to all of those AT&T wifi hot spots at McDonalds', Barnes&Noble and other places you have to have the data plan.
    02-08-09 05:25 PM
    This is a copy of my post in bmcclure's Complete WiFi How-To thread. I think I may have put it in the wrong place. Sorry & Thanks!!

Pif ~~ who is both blond & left-handed. . . .

My very first post. . . . WiFi, AT&T & the Data Plan
    Wow! What an *amazing* "How To" guide. Giant thanks to you, bmcclure937!!!

I'm getting my first BB and am already addicted. Since this is all so new to me, I'd like to verify that I really 'get it' re: AT&T/no data plan/browsing using WiFi. And my apologies in advance for being as dumb about this as I am blond.

I think I'm supposed to. . . .

1. Procure BB 8320
    2. Ask at ATT if MMS messages are available w/their msg plan
    A. If yes, order only the message plan
    B. If no, order both msg & data plans, get all the data-type service
    books, then cancel the data component of the plan
    3. Precisely follow all of the instructions explained here, paying particular attention to item #2, router setup & all browser/data setting trouble spots
    4. Do a rain dance around my car for luck
    5. Hook into my WiFi w/out a hitch
    6. Enjoy all the wonders of BB & CB, using only the recommended apps
    7. Check for charges associated with data usage from browsing
    A. If no charges appear, do the Super Happy Dance
    B. If charges appear, go to Plan B (as yet undetermined)

If any of you geniuses are willing to help me with corrections &/or suggestions, I'd be beyond grateful!

Also, shout outs from any AT&T users who have been able to both recently & consistently use WiFi w/out the data plan would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks So Much!
    02-16-09 08:38 AM
    I currently use an 8320 without a data plan on wifi. Set the browser to Hotspot and then surf and download LogicMail.
    02-19-09 05:36 PM
    Thanks for the 411! Much appreciated.

Here we go. . . .
    03-06-09 02:56 AM
    Hey gang! I'm new today. I have the 8320 with at&t. I think i have connected to wi-fi here in the library without the data plan turned on but i have a weak connection and the browsers will not function.
    the library's connection is at -76dBm but my BB is only at -40dBm is that a normal signal strength?
    03-06-09 03:05 PM
    you can also edit the default permissions to:
    internet - deny
    wifi - allow
    03-10-09 08:22 AM
    Sorry to bring this up again, but for those on AT&T without the data plan but still using the 'Hotspot Browser' to access wi-fi, did you still have to purchase one of the Blackberry specific plans? Is there anyway to get around that?
    02-10-10 07:10 PM
    Sorry to bring this up again, but for those on AT&T without the data plan but still using the 'Hotspot Browser' to access wi-fi, did you still have to purchase one of the Blackberry specific plans? Is there anyway to get around that?
    I used my 8320 Curve without a data plan for quite a while before my carrier offered me a plan I could live with.

The Hotspot Brower can access web based services like Google GMail. I am advised there are IM clients that will also work with the Wifi connection.

02-14-10 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD