Hey guys, i was just wondering does WiFi still work if you did not pay the recent bill? i have the BB unlmtd text+web+family plan. Shouldnt it not matter because im connected to my home router instead of t-mobiles data plan.

Basically:
    No paid bill = lowercase letters "uma"
    paid bill = captial letters "UMA"

I just want to use the interent through my wifi network using my home router. Dont really care about all the other stuff right now like email,text,etc. Anyone please help... suggestions, tips, comments? Anything! thanks
    01-20-10 11:48 PM
    i dont think you can use wifi without data plan
    01-21-10 12:35 AM
    correction: i do have a data plan, but my phone is just suspended right now... could that be the reason why? ive heard others can still use Wifi though
    01-21-10 12:42 AM
    I'd say wifi still works, but network services such as using UMA for calls won't work. You might have to change the settings on your browser to Hotspot browser though
    01-21-10 12:44 AM
    I'd say wifi still works, but network services such as using UMA for calls won't work. You might have to change the settings on your browser to Hotspot browser though
    agree.you can't use it for UMA calling.
    01-21-10 02:52 AM
    I think you'll have to have T-Mobile provision you for "voice only" in the rim provisioning tool. More than likely, they'll temporarily provision your device for data, THEN send your device the service books it needs to be able to use wifi... Then they'll just switch your device back to voice only after they've sent the service books to you and had your register your device on the blackberry network (Host Routing Table)....

That's what I'D do, anyway... Just sayin...

-t
    01-21-10 03:06 AM
    Go 2 manage connections and uncheck mobile network you should be able to just use WiFi
    01-21-10 04:00 AM
    There is no doubt what so ever that WiFi will work without a plan. Heck I use my old BB9000 without a SIM card on WiFi in my house and it works fine.

BUT UMA is, I think, dependent on the carrier and they can turn it off along with your service, at will!
    01-21-10 05:55 AM
    wow the replies on this forum is pretty fast, thanks everyone...

Yeah ill be paying my bill this week. But in the meantime i was really hoping for WiFi to work while connected to my home router. Ive read many things to change the settings such as "hotspot brower" "wifi only" etc... I dont know if its me but the broswer only seems to work on some websites, mostly not all. So i guess its working a little bit?
    01-21-10 09:47 AM
    You can prolly use the wifi but not the UMA phone calls since that's something TMO allows you to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 10:13 AM

Yeah ill be paying my bill this week. But in the meantime i was really hoping for WiFi to work while connected to my home router. Ive read many things to change the settings such as "hotspot brower" "wifi only" etc... I dont know if its me but the broswer only seems to work on some websites, mostly not all. So i guess its working a little bit?
    are you on the native BlackBerry browser or on a third party browser such as Opera? If you are on the native browser, make sure you go to Options - Browser Configuration and select 'Hotspot Browser' on the Browser option.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it's working on some sites... do you get an error message or something?
    01-21-10 10:18 AM

WiFi will not just be working a little bit but full blast just like when you have data service. BUT, NO UMA
    01-21-10 11:16 AM
    UMA will appear when tmobile provisions your account for the UMA calling service. if you do not pay for this service you will not be able to make place calls at no cost via UMA connection. Wifi is a built in feature of most blackberry phones. you can always access the web via wifi wether you have data service or not. you may on tmobile need to change the preferred browser from tmobile to hotspot if the "upsell" page loads.
    01-21-10 11:23 AM
    Ok i test the Wifi at home, set my features to "hotspot browser" and i am currently using the native browser (browser that came Preloaded on the phone). its still giving me the lowercase "uma" logo. So that basically means i can only surf the web but using my native browser it wont load most of the websites for some odd reason. Should i just download another browser like bolt or opera? should i upgrade to newer OS? point is, once i pay the bill the captial letters "UMA" will come on again and i can make calls through UMA, surf the web, text, etc... ?
    01-21-10 12:30 PM
    the fact that you see uma in lower case letters shouldn't have any effect on webbrowsing, when you're using your own wireless network you don't need any service from T-Mobile to be able to use it. Could you please explain what happens with these websites that you can't open? 'It won't load' can be a very broad statement... do you get an error, if so, what is it?
    01-21-10 12:37 PM
    My sister's HTC phone got suspended and her wifi still worked. She couldn't make calls or use sms, but her msn and web browser were fine when she was on our home wifi
    01-21-10 03:04 PM
    with your home wifi network you can adjust the setting and it will most likely resolve the loading page issues. i have my home wifi set up to g only and channel 11, not so much traffic on that channel in my area so my wifi on the phone is blazing fast.
    01-21-10 03:08 PM
    i didnt know how to quote 2 people at the same time so i put you guys in bold...

To VeniceBB: i am getting a pop up message saying "A communication failure has occured. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your service provider." My current settings are hotspot browser & connection preference WiFi only. The only site that seems to be working is YouTube lol. I tried loading Myspace & other sites but the same message appears on the screen. (yes, i still use myspace haha)

To mostlydo: yeah ive heard about changing your WiFi set up...? but im not sure how to even do that. Ive heard about that B-setup or G-setup? hopefully if thats the issue my WiFi will work great.
    01-21-10 07:59 PM
    i didnt know how to quote 2 people at the same time so i put you guys in bold...

To VeniceBB: i am getting a pop up message saying "A communication failure has occured. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your service provider." My current settings are hotspot browser & connection preference WiFi only. The only site that seems to be working is YouTube lol. I tried loading Myspace & other sites but the same message appears on the screen. (yes, i still use myspace haha)

To mostlydo: yeah ive heard about changing your WiFi set up...? but im not sure how to even do that. Ive heard about that B-setup or G-setup? hopefully if thats the issue my WiFi will work great.
    If you tried using the Myspace app, it won't work if you didn't pay your phone bill, since that app is through RIM and requires the service books. Same with the Facebook app and BBM. You won't get those service books back until the bill is paid. For somebody who has paid the bill, those apps will work on Wi-Fi, since the service books are available. http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/wi...t-work-398865/
    01-21-10 08:41 PM
    I am not using any pre-loaded apps that came with the phone... myspace, fb, etc is under my bookmarks in my browser. so refering back to topic
    01-21-10 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD