I am not really sure were I should post this post however I still notice people all over the internet saying things like Cell networks are faster then wi-fi this is not true. I attached a couple images taken off my phone with speed tests WI-FI vs Edge in this case now I know edge is outdated and unfortunatly I do not have a 3g iPhone so this was my only option for right now.

I also want to state the fact that the bandwidth that is shown is rarely actually achieved in real world situations there is a ton of things that the bandwidth depends on distance and hops to server which is called MS or *PING. The number of people accessing the server/website and the amount of bandwidth the server/website actually supports all become huge factors.

When doing heavy bandwidth intensive things with the supported bandwidth wi-fi will pretty much destroy the competition vs a Current Cell Network.

Anyone who has used verizons current network will know that it can be very fast im not saying its slow and it will improve a great deal in the future as there already preparing for huge upgrades.

But to say something like the verizon network has faster data speeds then wi-fi is ridiculous

BTW this is regular comcast cable that the wi-fi is connected to nothing special.

Also I wanted to mention that even the cheapest wi-fi routers now actually support 54mb (54,000 kbs) and up on wireless G and with wireless N I believe it was hitting 150Mps and 200Mbps within 50 ft of the router. But these speeds are limited to internal network because cable/dsl and such don't support that high of speeds. There is faster connections externally for business' and such but most home users wouldn't be able to afford it =)
    Last edited by noaim; 11-19-08 at 05:59 AM.
    11-19-08 05:37 AM
    Well, the only OTA speed test I could find shows my Sprint 3G speed to be as fast as my home DSL which is 3mbs. So for me, my mobile broadband speed is the same as my DSL.
    11-19-08 05:49 AM
    Well, the only OTA speed test I could find shows my Sprint 3G speed to be as fast as my home DSL which is 3mbs. So for me, my mobile broadband speed is the same as my DSL.

I appologize ill bold the part that was more the reason for the post.. is that the speed that wi-fi actually supports and a 3mbs cell connection seems crazy fast ...
    11-19-08 05:59 AM
    Wireless internet (wifi) is affected by several factors.

1. Type of router
    2. Distance of device from router
    3. Broadband connection speed to the router

If you have a "wireless B" router, you may hit a maximum average speed of 1.5 mBps. If you have a "wireless G" router your average speed may be about 6 mBps, with a max of 11 mBps.

So, it all depends on different factors.

Example:

If I had a wifi enabled phone, with a "wireless G" router with my DSL, my maximum speed would be limited by my DSL speed which is 3 mBps. In theory if my broadband connection was 22 mBps, my wifi max, according to some internet resources, would be 11 mBps.

Best of luck to you.
    11-19-08 06:29 AM
    I think my WiFi here at the house is faster than the network speed I get with T-MO
    11-19-08 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD