long time lurker first time poster. I have an 8900 with no data plan (i have wifi almost everywhere i go).

I know you can't use most apps with it, but i was fooling around and I entered my carriers APN information into the TCP settings (in advanced options). I tried installing the Gmail app and to my surprise it worked!

I turned off the mobile network connection and only have wifi enabled. but even through my home network i was able to connect. Now i'm wondering if this counts against me as data usage or is it just like going on the internet with wifi?

I turned off the APN settings and it has stopped connecting. I'm with rogers btw.
    09-02-09 04:36 PM
    I would venture to say your fine.....how could they monitor your data usage via wifi.....apn just opens the tunnel....it doesnt meter it
    09-02-09 05:53 PM
    Call me paranoid, but i'm guessing they can charge you. You're opening a tunnel to their APN gateway. It's not hard for me to believe the carrier can track and charge for traffic through that gateway.

I'm pretty sure this is the loophole TMo closed so that they could charge separately for international data access when people who had the International Email plan also surfed the web and etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 08:28 AM
    I still say youre fine!!!
    09-21-09 10:31 AM
    I've done the same thing and can surf the net just fine without a data plan. The data usage shows up on my bill every month, but I've never been charged extra.
    09-21-09 11:05 AM
    i gotta believe your not being monitored closely
    09-21-09 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD