Ya I don't really care about Wi fi at to be honest.. I prefer 3 g coverage as I can be anywhere and use my internet... What about the gps how would you use that with only wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 11:35 PM
    I used to not care about Wi-Fi, GPS is where it's at for me. But I am about to get the 8900 and my opinion is changing slightly. I look forward to UMA calling when I am at home, and faster browsing speeds when at home.

But overall I am traveling between towns a lot or just anywhere where Wi-Fi is not, and that's the problem.

As for 3G, I would get it but I value battery life more than anything. The main difference between EDGE and 3G is simultaneous voice/data and faster data speeds. I don't need to talk while browsing, and I am not totally picky about browsing speeds.

So I guess for me EDGE/Wi-Fi is just great. I have never seen a need for 3G in my world.
    08-28-09 11:46 PM
    My thread begins with my opinion. I support my reasoning of the opinion by stating some facts that I came across. Maybe you should learn that instead of critiquing how I go about stating my opinions, stay on topic or roam another thread. There are many to choose from you know. I'm only interested in discussing the wifi vs. 3G in this thread.
    No you aren't. There are billions of cellphone users and you are taking the
    comments you read while doing your "research" as proof of your point.
    This is the specious premise part. I assure that if you took all the comments
    you have read they would amount to less than 1/10th of 1% of all cellular
    users. And you still have yet to show any of the so-called facts.
    Yeah, that is a whole heaping mess of facts, to the easily led I suppose.

I could not care less about your opinion, but if you are going to throw things
    out and state them as fact, you need to present more than a handful of user
    comments to support that "fact". Otherwise you are doing a disservice to
    all who read this thread regardless of what your intention to discuss is.
    08-28-09 11:50 PM
    Wi-Fi is nice when I am at a hotspot and do not have my laptop with me. However, I really do not use it much. I use Wi-Fi more on my laptop than on my phone. At home, I use my computer to surf the Web, not my phone. So I never use Wi-Fi on the phone at home. I usually have my laptop with me at Starbucks. So, Wi-Fi is a must for my laptop, but not for my phone. 3G is a must for me, when I am out and about, and want to surf the Web or use voice/data simultaneously on my phone.
    08-28-09 11:57 PM
    Do you believe that there were BB consumers that chose the 8900 over the 8330? Do you not think that there are consumers that would rather have an 8900 over a Tour. There are many threads arguing that point. Outside of different carriers, they offer the same features except for one difference - one has 3G the other has wifi. So there is a choice and many have chosen the wifi enabled phone over the 3G. Would you say that is a fair assumption?

Is the 8900 incapable of 3G? Is it limited to wifi? Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of "wifi." My home wifi is a wireless LAN with a very limited range. Is the wifi you're referring to a network with a range equal to or better than the Sprint 3G network I'm on?
    08-29-09 01:20 AM
    Is the 8900 incapable of 3G? Is it limited to wifi? Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of "wifi." My home wifi is a wireless LAN with a very limited range. Is the wifi you're referring to a network with a range equal to or better than the Sprint 3G network I'm on?
    No idea what the point here is really, but both Wi-Fi and 3G have serious limitations in my book which is why I chose the 8900 as the best for me.

3G may be nice, but it eats batteries like no one's business.

Wi-Fi, goes without saying. Better be within range of a router.

EDGE and Wi-Fi are the best combo in my opinion. Longer battery life and the ability for UMA calls when needed. Why is 3G a necessity? Saving 3 seconds on a web page loading? I am not so impatient but maybe others are I am not sure.

I have seen the bold in action as co workers have it, and I have seen the Curve's side by side. And the Curve wins every time.

08-29-09 02:24 AM
    I find the best use for Wifi on my Curve 8900 when I travel abroad. Roaming on 3G is very expensive so I usualy use Wifi more often when I'm abroad visiting offices (all have Wifi) and in hotel rooms (most have FREE Wifi too).

As said above, unless you have a perfect signal 3G is not that faster than EDGe when it comes to load most web pages.

Between 3G (on my previous Storm) and Wifi + EDGE on my Curve, I prefer the latter hands down
    08-29-09 02:36 AM
    No idea what the point here is really, but both Wi-Fi and 3G have serious limitations in my book which is why I chose the 8900 as the best for me.

3G may be nice, but it eats batteries like no one's business.

Wi-Fi, goes without saying. Better be within range of a router.

EDGE and Wi-Fi are the best combo in my opinion. Longer battery life and the ability for UMA calls when needed. Why is 3G a necessity? Saving 3 seconds on a web page loading? I am not so impatient but maybe others are I am not sure.

I have seen the bold in action as co workers have it, and I have seen the Curve's side by side. And the Curve wins every time.

Well put.

08-29-09 06:37 AM
    I guess I just see this statement as ridiculous:

"The reality is that wifi is more valuable than 3G. I had to prove to another poster that of the top selling smartphones so far this year, the best toted wifi. The Curve was number one and out of the five models of the curve, only one has 3G. Three of the other four have wifi. The top four smartphones also have wifi. The Pearl came in at number three behind the iphone. Two of those models have wifi. The proof is in the pudding. Smartphone users value wifi over 3G."

To say that wifi is superior to 3G because the sales of wifi capable devices are up is not intellectually honest. With the economy in the dumper, it's not surprising that people are trying to get connected for as little cost as possible, but that doesn't mean wifi is more versatile and reliable than 3G. In the 1970's, the sale of aluminum wire surpassed the sale of copper for wiring inside houses. Does this mean that aluminum "trumps" copper? ****, no! Ten years later when the fires and other problems started happening, those houses wired with aluminum branch circuits were being rewired ... with copper. Okay, I'm not comparing wifi to aluminum wiring; I'm just making the point that sales don't always prove something is superior. Often there are other factors at play also. I myself like options. Of course, a device with wifi AND 3g capabilities offers the most options. But I would never take a device with ONLY wifi over a device with 3G. I just don't want to depend on people I DON'T pay or people I pay indirectly (e.g. hotels) who are giving me something for "free," when it comes to my connection. Perhaps I'm in the minority. But comparing wifi and 3g this way, to use a cliche, is like comparing apples and oranges but even less exact: the cliche doesn't presume an apple is better than an orange or vice versa.
    Last edited by T�nis; 08-29-09 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added the words "this way" in the last sentence
    08-29-09 10:08 AM
    This wouldn't be a debate if carriers didn't limit phone manufacturers to put wifi and 3g. Tmobile being not having their 3g network completely launched yet abd verizon always removing wifi from their phones.

I never had a 3g capable phone so I wouldn't know how to compare it to edge.

Even when I'm on the road, waiting on line or at the car shop. Edge is surprisngly fast in terms what people are saying about edge being so slow. Only the heavy data websites make my phone slow but on my coworkers storm on the same website it seemed slow too?

8900 is a fantastic device and for the price and what tmobile had to offer at the time. Its a hands down winner. Blackberry makes nokia look amateur.

So 3g gps wifi - I want it all (9700). But 8900 will due for now which is a fantastic device.

08-29-09 10:57 AM
    I'm not even going to touch this....
    08-29-09 01:15 PM
    To say that wifi is superior to 3G because...
    Ok, I would stop right there. How can one be superior to the other? They aren't even the same thing, and have different uses.

The old analogy, comparing apples to oranges. This really shouldn't even be a discussion.
    08-29-09 03:26 PM
    I personally think 3G is more valuable simply compared to the amount of places you can use 3G compared to wifi.
    08-29-09 03:40 PM
    As much as I love my BB, the two main places I have wifi access (work and home) I have my laptop and I'd rather use that, so wifi on my BB would be pretty useless for me. To me, the whole point of a BB is to be able to access the internet, email, etc. *anywhere*, so while 3G isn't everywhere, it's certainly more widespread then wifi. I will take the availability but slower speed of 3G over the faster speed but very limited availability of wifi any day.
    08-29-09 03:45 PM
    The reality is that wifi is more valuable than 3G.
    The real acid test of this might be proven shortly.

T-Mobile is said to be nearing the release of the 3G Driftwood which allegedly will NOT have UMA.

Given the choice to stay with my terrific 8900 without 3G or go to a new Driftwood without UMA, my decision is a no-brainer.

I'll stick with my 8900 every day of the week.
    08-29-09 07:32 PM
    what about when youre on the road, in the mall, or at a restaurant? where does wifi play in the equation??
    08-29-09 08:30 PM
    If you are using wifi in the mall or at a restaurant you really need to reevaluate your life. I can understand if you work in a hospital. I'd personally never own a device that only offers wifi.
    08-29-09 08:37 PM
    Other than at my college, I never use Wi-Fi on my phone for any heavy use.

I use Wi-Fi at coffee shops, but it is with my laptop, not my phone.

I might connect to Wi-Fi elsewhere, but not for anything serious. I'll just turn it on. The only real heavy use I make of Wi-Fi is at coffee shops while using my laptop. Yes, I do buy coffee (about a cup every 45 minutes). I don't just sit there for hours after buying a small coffee.
    08-29-09 08:47 PM
    If you are using wifi in the mall or at a restaurant you really need to reevaluate your life. I can understand if you work in a hospital. I'd personally never own a device that only offers wifi.
    What if you are in another part of the country sitting in your hotel room and want to call someone?

Seems Wi-Fi becomes pretty useful then.
    08-29-09 08:51 PM
    what about when youre on the road, in the mall, or at a restaurant? where does wifi play in the equation??
    Insofar as UMA connections are concerned, isn't that the point?

I have a UMA profile set up for dozens of places I visit. The local shopping mall, the local deli, the two grocery stores I use, other places I visit, etc. As soon as I enter those establishments, my UMA phone is set to immediately shift from the cell tower to the UMA connection. And I GUARANTEE you that if we both go into any of those places, my UMA connection is gonna blow away anything you can get with your 3G connection.

Now am I using WiFi to surf the Net at the grocery store? Not usually but I might want to get a cell call that would normally not get through inside a concrete structure. And of course if I need to get a data connection, I have it. Something the 3G cannot guarantee.

From my perspective, UMA blows away 3G any day of the week.
    08-29-09 09:00 PM
    If everybody wants it... it must be better.

I saw Star Trek (the newest movie), US Gross $256,490,791. My opinion - it sucked big time.
    08-29-09 09:06 PM
    What if you are in another part of the country sitting in your hotel room and want to call someone?

Seems Wi-Fi becomes pretty useful then.
    One of my favorite stories concerns my last employer. No one inside the building got very good cell coverage (most used AT&T). Getting any connectivity in my boss's office was just impossible. Then T-Mobile launched UMA calling. My boss's office was next to the computer room and of course there was a router in there. I got a UMA capable BlackBerry and all of a sudden, I was always able to get crystal clear cell-phone coverage anywhere in the building including the boss's office where no one else could.

3G? Fergetttt about it. I'll be happy to accept 3G as something extra on my phone but I'd never give up UMA for 3G. Not in a million years.
    08-29-09 09:07 PM
    I saw Star Trek (the newest movie), US Gross $256,490,791. My opinion - it sucked big time.
    I've heard that. You can't replace Shatner and Nimoy with a bunch of Gen-Yers and have it work.
    08-29-09 09:09 PM
    People just love to have options. When there is WiFi available of course you're gonna use it. It's not that its more valuable, I would say you need both. I love my EVDO with Sprint. It's fast enough, and it's almost everywhere here. But if I could connect by WiFi you better believe I would. Way to assume you know what consumers want though. Good show LOL Fail
    08-29-09 11:48 PM
    I've heard that. You can't replace Shatner and Nimoy with a bunch of Gen-Yers and have it work.
    Nimoy was in it ;-) It just an alternate reality. Nimoy comes from the past! I loved it though. Shatner is a big thumbs down anyway.
    08-29-09 11:50 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD