The reality is that wifi is more valuable than 3G. I had to prove to another poster that of the top selling smartphones so far this year, the best toted wifi. The Curve was number one and out of the five models of the curve, only one has 3G. Three of the other four have wifi. The top four smartphones also have wifi. The Pearl came in at number three behind the iphone. Two of those models have wifi. The proof is in the pudding. Smartphone users value wifi over 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 10:09 PM
    in my honest opinion, i've to say thats the silliest commonest thing i've heard
    yet i do agree people value wifi... blindly.
    wifi is touted to be such a requirement for a phone, that a phone without wifi is useless.. but coverage wise, 3G > wifi. especially 3G with BIS

wifi isnt available anywhere and everywhere.. at most only at macdonald's, starbucks, some other hotspots, and at home..

what about transiting time? on the trains and buses and cars?

i could do without wifi, have not enabled it even at home with wifi network readily available
    08-28-09 10:22 PM
    The reality is that wifi is more valuable than 3G. I had to prove to another poster that of the top selling smartphones so far this year, the best toted wifi. The Curve was number one and out of the five models of the curve, only one has 3G. Three of the other four have wifi. The top four smartphones also have wifi. The Pearl came in at number three behind the iphone. Two of those models have wifi. The proof is in the pudding. Smartphone users value wifi over 3G.
    Not for me. I have a Bold and rarely ever use Wifi. For some users it may be the other way.

Your numbers are off too, you say one out of the 5 curves has 3G. There are actually 6 models of the Curve series (8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8350i, 8900) and 3 have wifi not 4.

Your "proof" is simply your opinion. It's all about the user, and what is more valuable to them. But that being said if I had the choice I'd take 3G over wifi any day.
    Last edited by Shao128; 08-28-09 at 10:26 PM.
    08-28-09 10:22 PM
    Not for me. I have a Bold and rarely ever use Wifi. For some users it may be the other way.

Your numbers are off too, you say one out of the 5 curves has 3G. There are actually 6 models of the Curve series (8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8350i, 8900) and 3 have wifi not 4.

Your "proof" is simply your opinion. It's all about the user, and what is more valuable to them. The truth is the average user probably doesn't care either way (and users of the forum I wouldnt consider average) But that being said if I had the choice I'd take 3G over wifi any day.
    Actually, both of our numbers are off because I forgot about the 8520 which does not have 3G but has wifi.

08-28-09 10:27 PM
    wifi is touted to be such a requirement for a phone, that a phone without wifi is useless.. but coverage wise, 3G > wifi. especially 3G with BIS

wifi isnt available anywhere and everywhere.. at most only at macdonald's, starbucks, some other hotspots, and at home..

i could do without wifi, have not enabled it even at home with wifi network readily available
    You shouldn't say its silly. One of the biggest complaints about phones is that they don't have wifi. Storm users are clamoring for the new Storm 2 when the specs are almost identical. The only significant difference is wifi.

08-28-09 10:29 PM
    Good point I did forget about the 8520. Also I forgot to point out that in the top selling smartphones the storm is up there, so based on the logic you presented every storm owner prefers 3g to wifi. You were just trying to spin sales facts to support your opinion but went about it the wrong way.
    08-28-09 10:32 PM

Also, I didn't say that a device without wifi is useless. I was a 8330 user for a while and enjoyed the device. However, if I could go back, I would choose an 8320 because of wifi. Sure you can't use wifi everywhere, but you don't get a 3G signal everywhere either. There are many times when I don't have 3G access, but may have wifi. And because EDGE isn't as slow as people like to believe, having 3G isn't that necessary. With EDGE and wifi, all bases are covered. 3G alone could find you cut off at times.

08-28-09 10:35 PM
    You shouldn't say its silly. One of the biggest complaints about phones is that they don't have wifi. Storm users are clamoring for the new Storm 2 when the specs are almost identical. The only significant difference is wifi.
    OK, I'll say your premise is silly. On my last two phones I have never even
    turned WiFi on. Why? Because I have excellent signal everywhere.

As to the complaints, you can't be serious.Some of the
    people in the Storm section will complain if the sky isn't as blue as they think
    it should be. It's simply a case of "others have it why can't we?"

Lastly, seeing as this is your second thread slagging 3G and singing the
    praises of WiFi, you have zero credibility. We know where your biases lie.
    08-28-09 10:37 PM
    OK, I'll say your premise is silly. On my last two phones I have never even
    turned WiFi on. Why? Because I have excellent signal everywhere.

As to the complaints, you can't be serious.Some of the
    people in the Storm section will complain if the sky isn't as blue as they think
    it should be. It's simply a case of "others have it why can't we?"

Lastly, seeing as this is your second thread slagging 3G and singing the
    praises of WiFi, you have zero credibility. We know where your biases lie.
    Again, not silly. My premise is my opinion based on some facts and my experiences. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was what forums consists of. I'm not slighting 3G. I have a 3G enabled device. It comes in handy when I need it, but if I had the choice of 3G or wifi, I think you know which one I would choose. Credibility? Are you serious? Its a forum. Do you have credentials? Maybe you are the one person on this planet devoid of biases and invariably is objective. Your premise is silly if that is what you are claiming. By the way, weren't Sprint and Verizon conferring with RIM to make sure that all future BB devices were wifi capable? That is a fact outside of my bias.

08-28-09 10:48 PM
    Again, not silly. My premise is my opinion based on some facts and my experiences.
    You facts were irrelevant to your point. Its like saying most smart phone users like fruit because the top selling smart phones are Apple and Blackberry.
    08-28-09 10:51 PM
    I'd like both... But wifi is more valuable to me since I get such crappy coverage from T-Mo

Not to mention, it comes in handy whenever I find myself in a place without a signal, like an airplane or basement

I guess if I had to choose one, I'd take wifi... Only because EDGE isn't that bad
    08-28-09 10:52 PM
    I'd like both... But wifi is more valuable to me since I get such crappy coverage from T-Mo

Not to mention, it comes in handy whenever I find myself in a place without a signal, like an airplane or basement

I guess if I had to choose one, I'd take wifi... Only because EDGE isn't that bad
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

08-28-09 10:54 PM

I think your wrong here ^
    08-28-09 10:55 PM
    You facts were irrelevant to your point. Its like saying most smart phone users like fruit because the top selling smart phones are Apple and Blackberry.
    This has to be the retort of the month
    08-28-09 10:58 PM
    I think your wrong here ^
    Only a little... LOL!!
    08-28-09 10:59 PM
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you, although I do think this discussion is a little silly... Just give me both
    08-28-09 10:59 PM
    The proof is in the pudding. Smartphone users value wifi over 3G.
    Again, not silly. My premise is my opinion based on some facts and my experiences.
    You can't have it both ways. In the first quote you are stating your findings as
    fact. In the second you are trying to walk it back.

Your opinion is fine. State it and leave it at that. I still, however am not seeing
    any of these "facts" you seem to be hanging your supposition on. Until you
    actually produce some may I politely suggest you (a) let it go or (b) learn
    the difference between opinions and specious premises.
    08-28-09 11:03 PM
    On my Bold, never used wifi.

On my Tour, I wish it did have wifi.

Reasons:

UMTS 3G with AT&T is really fast for me and never really need wifi.
    UMTS allows for simultaneous voice + data, which I do a lot of. I also dislike receiving 50+ emails lagging up my phone when I get off a long phone call.

Bottom line: Depends on the user and their needs/wants.
    08-28-09 11:06 PM
    I didn't get that. Again, isee what I see. If you see differently, that is fine. But you make a mistake by dismissing what I said. I have read many of the reviews for the Tour and the Storm. There were tons of complaints and negative reviews because of the wifi issue. Not saying that the devices are bad, but saying that consumers seem to want that option. I think it is relevant that the top selling smartphone (the Curve) on most of the models are non 3G and include wifi. I also brought up that Sprint and Verizon are pushing RIM to release wifi enabled phones to them to meet the demands of their customers. Carriers are also starting to looki at UMA services as well. Furthermore, there are applications (not a lot, but some) that require that you have a wifi enabled phone to use them. Do I prefer wifi? Yes. May others disagree? Certainly. But it is my opinion just like everyone else who goes back and forth about what phone is better, what apps are better, and what carrier is better. I chose to make a statement rather than pose a question.

08-28-09 11:07 PM
    You can't have it both ways. In the first quote you are stating your findings as
    fact. In the second you are trying to walk it back.

Your opinion is fine. State it and leave it at that. I still, however am not seeing
    any of these "facts" you seem to be hanging your supposition on. Until you
    actually produce some may I politely suggest you (a) let it go or (b) learn
    the difference between opinions and specious premises.
    My thread begins with my opinion. I support my reasoning of the opinion by stating some facts that I came across. Maybe you should learn that instead of critiquing how I go about stating my opinions, stay on topic or roam another thread. There are many to choose from you know. I'm only interested in discussing the wifi vs. 3G in this thread.

08-28-09 11:11 PM
    That doesn't mean wifi "trumps" 3g. it just means some users want wifi as well, as a compliment to the existing network. You posted your first post as fact and not your opinion which you are backtracking to.
    08-28-09 11:12 PM
    The only reason I could see for someone's not having 3G at least available to him as an option would be if he couldn't afford it. Crusading against 3G is like saying "Give me that late-model car WITHOUT air conditioning. After all, some parts of the world never get hot. What if I'm in a part of the world that doesn't get hot?" Well, uh, don't USE the ac in that part of the world then! If you don't "need" (i.e. want to pay for) 3G, don't get it, but it's silly to posit that wifi is "better." Both systems have their uses. I use both -- 3G on my Bb and laptop when out of the home, wifi on my laptop at home. Why limit oneself?

08-28-09 11:17 PM
    That doesn't mean wifi "trumps" 3g. it just means some users want wifi as well, as a compliment to the existing network. You posted your first post as fact and not your opinion which you are backtracking to.
    Not really. Posted the first statement as my opinion. But let's end this exchange with this. You could have simply agreed or disagreed. That would have been the appropriate thing to do. It makes little sense to disrupt the discussion because you don't like the topic. Agree or disagree. Then move on. Don't barrade the OP. It isn't that type of party.

08-28-09 11:24 PM
    Not really. Posted the first statement as my opinion.
    Please tell me where here any of this is posted as your opinion.
    You tried to use facts to "prove" your opinion. You didnt post an opinion.

Now Im done.
    08-28-09 11:26 PM
    The only reason I could see for someone's not having 3G at least available to him as an option would be if he couldn't afford it. Crusading against 3G is like saying "Give me that late-model car WITHOUT air conditioning. After all, some parts of the world never get hot. What if I'm in a part of the world that doesn't get hot?" Well, uh, don't USE the ac in that part of the world then! If you don't "need" (i.e. want to pay for) 3G, don't get it, but it's silly to posit that wifi is "better." Both systems have their uses. I use both -- 3G on my Bb and laptop when out of the home, wifi on my laptop at home. Why limit oneself?

Do you believe that there were BB consumers that chose the 8900 over the 8330? Do you not think that there are consumers that would rather have an 8900 over a Tour. There are many threads arguing that point. Outside of different carriers, they offer the same features except for one difference - one has 3G the other has wifi. So there is a choice and many have chosen the wifi enabled phone over the 3G. Would you say that is a fair assumption?

08-28-09 11:29 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD