I connected my blackberry to my laptop using connectify to copy files. I received a phone call from a few people telling me my bbm was down. Turns out the BIS tries to connect over the wifi eventhough there's no internet connection! How can I tell my blackberry to only use my provider for data and keep bbm working?

Thanks in advance
    Clinton
    06-18-12 12:05 PM
    Which BB? os?
    06-18-12 12:34 PM
    BlackBerry� 9780
    smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
    6.0 Bundle 905 (v6.0.0.294, Platform 6.5.0.54)
    3G Bands 1,4,8
    Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.6.5
    Branding Version: 1.0.168.539D
    Micro Edition Configuration: CLDC-1.1
    Micro Edition Profile: MIDP-2.1
    Micro Edition JTWI Version: 1.0
    Micro Edition Media Version: 1.1
    Micro Edition PIM Version: 1.0
    Micro Edition File Version: 1.0
    Micro Edition Bluetooth Version: 1.1
    Micro Edition Location Version: 1.0.1
    Micro Edition Security and Trust Services (APDU) Version: 1.0
    WLAN Version: 4.2.1.40
    Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com
    Copyright � 1997-2010
    Research In Motion Limited.
    All rights reserved.

Portions of the browser are copyright 4thpass.

The RIM and BlackBerry families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion, and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries.
    06-18-12 01:04 PM
    Check Mobile Network Options and set Connection Preference to Mobile Network Only.

Not positive that will straighten it out, but it should. That is a good question though, because I've noticed WiFi is used for browsing even when my settings are as I suggested. One would think that BIS would stay up using the best connection for BIS (i.e. where one is actually available).
    06-18-12 01:30 PM
    I beleive BIS looks for the fastest type of connection, and switches to that, but doesnt verify that there is anything beyond that. This I beleive is due to their theory is that not everyone uses/has unlimited data plans, however there is no cost on WiFi so it switches to that at every oppurtunity.
    06-18-12 01:54 PM
    I tried looking for options like that but all I have is the mobile operator/wifi/bluetooth screen. The 9780 doesn't seem to have those options. The logic as to why it moves from a working connection to a non-working option and stays there eludes me completely!
    06-18-12 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD