Is it just me, or does wifi take forever to connect on the 9700? My 9000 picked up and logged on to wifi immediately. The 9700 sees the profile but doesn't connect to 'BlackBerry Infrastructure' for 5 minutes or so. It happens on all of my wifi profiles.
    01-12-10 03:32 PM
    mine takes a couple minutes
    01-12-10 03:33 PM
    Mine connects to Wi-Fi but then takes a while to bring up the bright white wi-fi logo while it connects to the BB infrastructure. This takes notably longer than it did on my 9000
    01-12-10 05:38 PM
    Mine connects to Wi-Fi but then takes a while to bring up the bright white wi-fi logo while it connects to the BB infrastructure. This takes notably longer than it did on my 9000
    Exactly...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 07:02 PM
    Mine connects pretty fast but has a tendency to drop the connection from time to time despite the fact it has great WiFi signal. Gets very annoying sometimes.
    01-12-10 07:22 PM
    I'm using firmware that most others aren't and it takes at least a minute for my Wifi to connect. I have never lost said connection but it does take a bit. Maybe a little bit slower than my 9000. At least it faster.
    01-12-10 07:45 PM
    Funny, I was just about to start a thread on this.

I was playing with my old 9000 last night, prepping to sell it to a coworker and decided to try a few things out.

I tried to get wifi lock on with the 9000 and it happened pretty damn fast.
    I also tried to get GPS lock and that was pretty damn fast too.

As far as wifi lock and GPS lock, my 9700 can't hold a candle to the 9000 right now.

I guess the 5.0 OS is still in it's infancy and hasn't got it all figured out yet. I remember the 9000 was a bit slow when i first picked it up last year. Things got better with newer OS's.

Hopefully we'll start seeing more OS updates to enhance the performance!
    01-12-10 08:38 PM
    To be honest I haven't noticed. I come home and usually have things to do before I sit and browse or something else with the device. It is set to automatically connect - and it does that. I can note that if I turn the connection off and back on, it connects right away.

01-12-10 08:51 PM
    I'm using firmware that most others aren't and it takes at least a minute for my Wifi to connect. I have never lost said connection but it does take a bit. Maybe a little bit slower than my 9000. At least it faster.
    Hmm , you know you're getting some of us curious about that firmware which most of us don't have lol

01-12-10 08:58 PM
    Good to know...I thought I was the only one taking forever to connect.
    01-12-10 11:14 PM
    guys maybe it was discussed (sorry if was) I'm no longer able to got free wifi connect at starbucks places in NYC, it prompts me to log in but i never tried, it was as easy as 1 2 3 on my previous 9000, or maybe at&t no longer offers it for free, have no idea, have no problem at home, connects very fast, even out in the street connects to someones wifi, please let me know its only me not getting anymore at&t wifi
    01-12-10 11:38 PM

Quoted for truth.
    01-13-10 12:40 AM
    mine takes a good 3 minutes for the icon to turn from grey to white.
    01-13-10 12:48 PM
    Is it just me, or does wifi take forever to connect on the 9700? My 9000 picked up and logged on to wifi immediately. The 9700 sees the profile but doesn't connect to 'BlackBerry Infrastructure' for 5 minutes or so. It happens on all of my wifi profiles.
    Mine takes a few minutes @ home with my router setup through Comcast. Haven't tried with a router using my university connection yet. Will let you know my times

01-13-10 09:45 PM
    I'm also having this problem takes a good 2-3 to fully connect.
    01-16-10 09:34 PM
    The 9700 sees the profile but doesn't connect to 'BlackBerry Infrastructure' for 5 minutes or so. It happens on all of my wifi profiles.
    Same here. Even after the BIS connection is established wifi is very erratic. I called AT&T tech support and was told that wifi on the 9700 will only function properly at AT&T hotspots, i.e. they have it locked down.

That is certainly true for me. At Starbucks the BIS connection is established almost immediately and surfing is fast and reliable. Everywhere else, including home, is trouble.
    01-17-10 08:31 AM
    Same here. Even after the BIS connection is established wifi is very erratic. I called AT&T tech support and was told that wifi on the 9700 will only function properly at AT&T hotspots, i.e. they have it locked down.

That is certainly true for me. At Starbucks the BIS connection is established almost immediately and surfing is fast and reliable. Everywhere else, including home, is trouble.
    Well what the AT&T tech told you is just plain false. AT&T doesn't have anything "locked down". I've ran about 15 tests in the past week between 3 9000's and 4 9700's and they connected to the same Wifi Network within about 15 seconds of each other. Both models beating the other from time to time.

I have never dropped Wifi after being connected and never have any issue with BES or BIS once connected to Wifi.
    01-17-10 08:42 AM
    Well what the AT&T tech told you is just plain false. AT&T doesn't have anything "locked down". I've ran about 15 tests in the past week between 3 9000's and 4 9700's and they connected to the same Wifi Network within about 15 seconds of each other. Both models beating the other from time to time.

I have never dropped Wifi after being connected and never have any issue with BES or BIS once connected to Wifi.
    What I know is my experience matches what I was told. I have spent many hours troubleshooting/researching this problem and made absolutely no headway in resolving my issue. This is the second 9700 for me that exhibits the same behavior. The display unit in the AT&T corporate store where I bought my phone also suffers from the same problem, nonetheless AT&T maintains that the phone is functioning as designed.

I note that AT&T's website description of the Bold 9700 makes absolutely no reference to wifi or wifi connectivity. RIM's does but it is footnoted stating that not all carriers support this feature (or something to that effect).

Has AT&T ever given me bad information before? You bet, but right now I'm believing them on this one.

-Tom
    01-17-10 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD