I have an unlocked T-Mobile Pearl that I'm using on At&t wireless. I am trying to use the Wifi feature on a Netgear WGR614v6 router, but I get the message T-Mobile network error W006.7. Even when I remove all security on the router I get this message.

Any one know for sure if I can use the Wifi feature with a T-Mobile phone on At&t network? If so, what can I try?
    11-19-08 12:15 AM
    No one else trying this? No one has any ideas?
    11-26-08 12:53 AM
    On the Pearl, and any other UMA device I am 99.999% sure it authorizes your SIM to the T-Mobile network as it is trying to connect to them to make phone calls. You are using an AT&T SIM it can't authorize. My SGH-T409 does the same thing even though its unlocked unless i put in my Active T-Mobile SIM

P.S. UMA is T-mobiles answer to a Femtocell which allows you full access including data and voice on a WiFi network. Where a femtocell requires a hardware purchase plus the phone, T-mobiles only requires only a UMA capable phone.
    11-30-08 11:40 AM
    Thanks smyrna. Just to be clear, if you pop in your T-Mobile sim you have wifi access, but if you put in your ATT siim then it doesn't? That must mean something is hard coded in the phone. Can you flash it or any way to get around it?
    12-03-08 09:40 PM
    I checked the Netgear specs to confirm it does support 802.11g as required by BlackBerry.

NETGEAR WGR614 54 Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router

There is no issue with using a non supporting carrier SIM card on an unlocked BlackBerry. You should be able to connect to your router and Browse over Wifi. However, you will not get UMA support.

The simplest way to troubleshoot the connection is to reset the router to factory defaults. You should be able to make the Open connection.

Once you are connected, it is usually simple to impliment the security settings.
    12-05-08 11:32 AM
    Thanks Reed. Do you know why the UMA will not work? This is primarily the reason I got this phone because I get poor cell reception in my apt. I was hoping the UMA calls would solve this problem.
    12-09-08 11:41 AM
    Do you know why the UMA will not work? This is primarily the reason I got this phone because I get poor cell reception in my apt. I was hoping the UMA calls would solve this problem.
    Sorry, dude. UMA calling requires a UMA capable phone (which you have) and a UMA capable carrier (which you don't have). T-Mobile is the only U.S. carrier that has the UMA infrastructure to switch calls between GSM and Wi-Fi.
    12-26-08 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD