I'm not saying abt wifi its the release

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 01:24 AM
    Seriously. GSM Devices NEED WiFi. CDMA Devices DONT. The network is just that much better. It wont make or break the sale for me. Specially since I believe Verizons Network is stronger then Sprints.
    06-28-09 05:36 AM
    I swear I think it's only Verizon subscribers who thinks their 3G is better than Wi-Fi. If not, the majority. I can't even fantom how stupid I think that is. I'm not mad at the "I'll purchase the phone with or without wifi" responses, because that's perfectly understandable. You're used to not having it on other BlackBerries, so why should you boycott it now? It's the "blah, Our CDMA is better than Wi-Fi" is what's killing me softly. Especially when you're giving like 20 different reasons why it's beneficial, and your replies remains the same. That's ignorance.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-28-09 at 06:15 AM.
    06-28-09 05:56 AM
    I swear I think it's only Verizon subscribers who thinks their 3G is better than Wi-Fi. If not, the majority. I can't even fantom how stupid I think that is. I'm not mad at the "I'll purchase the phone with or without wifi" responses, because that's perfectly understandable. You're used to not having it on other BlackBerries, so why should you boycott it now? It's the "blah, Our CDMA is better than Wi-Fi" is what's killing me softly. Especially when you're giving like 20 different reasons why it's beneficial, and your replies remains the same. That's ignorance.
    I understand where your comming from. So you say the "Majority" of Verizon Subscribers are thinking there 3G is better then Wi-Fi correct? I for one, did not say the 3G is better then WiFi. The way I mean my statement is that we are concreated and etched in 3G as Verizon Subscribers. If you expierence the network and know what that EVDO expierence is like, you would agree that WiFi is definatly not needed. Simply because the network is so good at what it does, it doesnt need WiFi to assit it. GSM devices networks arent as great, so WiFi is a plus for them to help out with there Data and more.

Now the Verizon over Sprint is the fact that Verizons fanbase of subscribers is bigger then sprints and my personal run ins that I have herd from what sprint subscribers have complained about. I have yet to hear a Verizon Customer complain about there Networks Reception.

Reguardless. If I had to drop Verizon for anymeans at all, I would next go to Sprint. There 3G networks are more satisfying to me then T-Mobile or AT&T.
    06-28-09 07:17 AM
    I understand where your comming from. So you say the "Majority" of Verizon Subscribers are thinking there 3G is better then Wi-Fi correct? I for one, did not say the 3G is better then WiFi. The way I mean my statement is that we are concreated and etched in 3G as Verizon Subscribers. If you expierence the network and know what that EVDO expierence is like, you would agree that WiFi is definatly not needed. Simply because the network is so good at what it does, it doesnt need WiFi to assit it. GSM devices networks arent as great, so WiFi is a plus for them to help out with there Data and more.

Now the Verizon over Sprint is the fact that Verizons fanbase of subscribers is bigger then sprints and my personal run ins that I have herd from what sprint subscribers have complained about. I have yet to hear a Verizon Customer complain about there Networks Reception.

Reguardless. If I had to drop Verizon for anymeans at all, I would next go to Sprint. There 3G networks are more satisfying to me then T-Mobile or AT&T.
    Now I understand where you're coming, but network assistance is just one of the reasons for including wifi. Traveling, great programs that would only work with wifi, voice and data at the same time etc. are only few of the reasons why it's a good addition.
    06-28-09 07:38 AM
    Seriously. GSM Devices NEED WiFi. CDMA Devices DONT. The network is just that much better. It wont make or break the sale for me. Specially since I believe Verizons Network is stronger then Sprints.
    It amazes me how many people think wifi is needed for speed alone. You guys are way off the beaten path.

06-28-09 07:53 AM
    i have no idea
    06-28-09 08:06 AM
    Yup, in area with no 3G on GSM, especially in outer suburb, rural area or many small/medium sized cities but Verizon and Sprint already have EVDO in all of them, maybe several area won't.

For me, I will pre-order BB Tour after Verizon announce about pre-order this week.

Verizon is most preferred carrier for me and 2nd is Sprint, not in interest with GSM carrier, however I'm avoid from use att for some reason.
    06-28-09 10:39 AM
    I'm personally need WiFi due home and airplane but I'm not worried about it because it's not on my top priority.
    06-28-09 10:40 AM
    I'm personally need WiFi due home and airplane but I'm not worried about it because it's not on my top priority.
    Yeah, sure it would be nice when travelling on planes, overseas, etc... But that is what a netbook is for. So, as far as the Tour not having wifi, not an issue with me.
    06-28-09 10:45 AM
    It amazes me how many people think wifi is needed for speed alone. You guys are way off the beaten path.

Civic, that is less than half of the response I've come to expect from you. Care to elaborate?

06-28-09 10:51 AM
    in my house i usually only get 1X....and it's a fine speed for me....and even still...if I need faster, I HAVE A LAPTOP. lol.
    06-28-09 10:53 AM
    If the Tour had wifi, I would pay full retail for it (since I'm under contract for the Storm), as it is I'll wait.
    06-28-09 02:18 PM
    If the Tour had wifi, I would pay full retail for it (since I'm under contract for the Storm), as it is I'll wait.

I think many people would agree with you on that. At somepoint there will be a wi-fi bb on cdma hopefully when lte comes out they don't claim that they don't need wi-fi because of the network again..
    06-28-09 02:20 PM
    Civic, that is less than half of the response I've come to expect from you. Care to elaborate?

WIFI is not about speed. (Not in the same terms as people would have you believe on faster cell networks.) If people sell you on the idea of WIFI in a cell phone for the sole primary purpose of "speed", they don't know jack.

WIFI is not a crutch for speed or the lack of it on GSM carriers, it's a tool. Just like any other tool, WIFI in this case, is designed to give you availability to various resources by untying you from the carrier's Internet gateway and giving you another avenue to accomplish things. It also allows you to keep under the current 5GB of data caps that carriers have (if you're a super heavy user each month). Below are some examples.

Streaming audio or video while at home from the web to save cell caps.
    Watching your Slingbox broadcast at home without having to depend upon cell data. (you can even do this in coffee houses, work, whereever WIFI is avaiable).
    Being able to subscribe to certain products that are only avilable on WIFI enabled Blackberries (RIM's newest streaming TV app that's coming out), etc.
    Giving yourself network access to the handheld when a cellular signal is not available... large buildings or underground enclosures you may be working in or whatever.

Basically, the capabilities are limitless, whereas not having WIFI, is limiting. So, please don't focus on the speed aspect alone, while it may be nice to have that (yep, 802.11g WIFI out my 11Mbps pipe is faster then EVDO Rev.A and initial release speeds of LTE), it's not really all about the speed. It's about connectivity as well.

Look at it this way... why do we see CELL WIFI on laptops in today's market? It's not because of speed... it's about connectivity. Sure the laptop has native WIFI in it, but have you tried to get a WIFI signal while driving on the road...
    06-28-09 02:33 PM
    I think many people would agree with you on that. At somepoint there will be a wi-fi bb on cdma hopefully when lte comes out they don't claim that they don't need wi-fi because of the network again..
    There you go noaim. This is my answer to the other thread with me and you debating on. It had nothing to do with a chipset. There are so many different stories, it's becoming a urban legend.

Edit: Very well said, Civic.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-28-09 at 02:49 PM.
    06-28-09 02:38 PM
    Thanks Civic. I like the way you explain things.

06-28-09 02:43 PM
    There you go noaim. This is my answer to the other thread with me and you debating on. It had nothing to do with a chipset. There are so many different stories, it's becoming a urban legend.

Edit: Very well said, Civic.

keep in mind that people say things for different reasons..

its easier for you to sell the idea of "hey we don't need it because of speed" then it is to say hey we cant do it because qualcom processors blow and suck battery with wi-fi enabled..

you can't trash a company that you need to use when your selling a product keep that in mind too...

basically what verizon did is they tried to make a downfall look good... as in hey we have a great network but this isn't needed instead of

HEY we have a great network but its just not capable to do this yet...
    the primary amount of consumers don't understand network mumbo jumbo and hardware/software limitations..

WIFI is not about speed. (Not in the same terms as people would have you believe on faster cell networks.) If people sell you on the idea of WIFI in a cell phone for the sole primary purpose of "speed", they don't know jack.

WIFI is not a crutch for speed or the lack of it on GSM carriers, it's a tool. Just like any other tool, WIFI in this case, is designed to give you availability to various resources by untying you from the carrier's Internet gateway and giving you another avenue to accomplish things. It also allows you to keep under the current 5GB of data caps that carriers have (if you're a super heavy user each month). Below are some examples.

Watching your Slingbox broadcast at home without having to depend upon cell data. (you can even do this in coffee houses, work, whereever WIFI is avaiable).
    Being able to subscribe to certain products that are only avilable on WIFI enabled Blackberries (RIM's newest streaming TV app that's coming out), etc.
    Giving yourself network access to the handheld when a cellular signal is not available... large buildings or underground enclosures you may be working in or whatever.

Basically, the capabilities are limitless, whereas not having WIFI, is limiting. So, please don't focus on the speed aspect alone, while it may be nice to have that (yep, 802.11g WIFI out my 11Mbps pipe is faster then EVDO Rev.A and initial release speeds of LTE), it's not really all about the speed. It's about connectivity as well.

Look at it this way... why do we see CELL WIFI on laptops in today's market? It's not because of speed... it's about connectivity. Sure the laptop has native WIFI in it, but have you tried to get a WIFI signal while driving on the road...
    as for this post this should be stickied haha or be put in information somewhere on the site
    Last edited by noaim; 06-28-09 at 03:33 PM.
    06-28-09 03:27 PM
    I think your all crazy. It has to be a decision that makes sense for the distributor. I understand that Win Mobile have quite a few devices with wifi. I've owned 'em. Why BB's and Win Mobile devices are treated differently amongst the carriers is anyones guess. Its probably as simple as a cost issue. Every corporation is cutting cost anyway possible. It was just on the news that a Airline stopped carrying spoons on their aircraft to save weight and fuel. Its that nit pickin now. Bottom line is profits, no wifi somehow equals bigger profits in the companys metrics. Its been well thought out. I'm sure of that.

06-28-09 04:38 PM

Too bad the 5gig cap is for tethering, or data cards... not device usage.
    06-28-09 05:16 PM
    I rarely take the time to give my .02 cent but hey I feel good today. I'm not understanding the big issue with Wi-Fi, sure it's nice and I'd love to have it on my tour, but its certainly not a deal breaker. You wont find a much bigger fan of Verizon but lets face it, Wi-Fi would be nice to have because there still are a lot of places that verizon doesn't have coverage and I would be nice to have a back up. There are things that many of you must come to learn... While not everyone has an inside scoop on things, there are a few that do. Ausch, Radio, and CX have proven themselves time after time and while I dont just automatically just assume that just because they say a phone will or wont have a certain feature, I do put A LOT of weight into their comments.

Those who say that there is no need for for WiFi you are wrong there is alot of need for it, but it simply should not be a deciding factor when deciding if you want to purchase what appears to be one of best Blackberries to date. Take the entire phone and all of it features in before dismissing this phone because it's lack of one feature.
    06-28-09 06:13 PM
    This is what i don't understand if your at HOME and your streaming video or if your at HOME using slingbox why not use your laptop I think that makes more sense.
    06-28-09 07:41 PM
    This is what i don't understand if your at HOME and your streaming video or if your at HOME using slingbox why not use your laptop I think that makes more sense.
    For me it's a convenience thing. There are times when you just don't feel like breaking out the laptop.
    06-28-09 08:16 PM
    LOL Ill save you the trouble. It WONT have WiFi
    Maybe it's just hiding and you don't know it... Haha ok fine... Sarcasm mode off...
    Read everything radio said... And you have the answer...
    I'd love to have wifi on the tour... Sadly it's not true.

06-28-09 08:43 PM
    We need wifi

06-29-09 12:05 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD