I wanted to increase my bars outside so I bought this signal extender thing you are supposed to hook up by puttig one unit near the wifi and then you plug this other thing into a regular socket somewhere else in your house to give you better signal.

Do these things really WORK????

i bought it at Staples and the stupid guy told me all I have to do is plug the thing in and VOILA extended signal. Anybody can do it ... just plug it all in Of course I took him LITERALLY and had no idea what to do once I opened the box and it was telling me to do all this CONFIGURING.

So basically does it really work... i don't feel like straining my brains and possibly crashing my whole freaking set up because I have no idea what i'm doing.... if the stupid thing doesn't really work . I believe it was made by NETGEAR
    09-08-09 06:40 PM
    The WAP54G works great with the Linksys WRT54G but the key is in the "config". The brief notes included in the package stress using the configuration software included with the WAP54G. This is fine for access point use but is extra work for "range extender" use.

You will need to get the following information from your WRT54G:
    1. The wireless MAC address (look under “Status/Wireless”, the one you see on the main “Status” page is the wired MAC address).
    2. The wireless channel number of the WRTG54G. If it’s on the default channel 6, you might want to try another channel that doesn’t have everyone in the world on it.
    3. The wireless network name (SSID). If it is the default “linksys” SSID, change it NOW!
    4. If you still use the default password for the WRT54G, change it NOW!
    5. Note the security settings you are using, if any.
    6. Make sure the WRT54G firmware is up to date and update if necessary.

The easy route is to power up the WAP54G and using a WiFi pc, associate with the "linksys" network, connect to IP 192.168.1.245 (http://192.168.1.245/) with Internet Explorer (some versions of Mozilla based browsers have problems with the Web interface of Linksys products) and enter the default password as shown in the package notes. This will open the Web interface. At this point, note the firmware version and update it to the latest version before continuing. With that out of the way, you can begin the configuration. There are only four things, five if you have security enabled, you have to change to enable the “range extender” function (actually, it’s the “Wireless Repeater” mode you must use with the WRT54G).
    1. On the main page of the Web interface, change the channel number to the same one the WRT54G uses. Save the change and click the continue button when it appears. If you don’t see the Web page reappear, you will need to re-associate with the “linksys” network.
    2. Click “AP Mode”, select the “Wireless Repeater” radio button, and enter the WRT54G’s wireless MAC address (I know it says “LAN MAC”, but it’s the wireless MAC you need here). Save changes and click continue.
    3. Click “Password” and change the default password. Save changes and click continue. You will have to enter the new password.
    4. Finally, click “Basic Setup” and change the SSID. If you want seamless handoff between the WAP54G and the WRT54G, you will want to use the same SSID as the WRT54G. This does make it a little more difficult to connect to the WAP54G if something “burps” and breaks the link to the WRT54G. I prefer to use the existing SSID with a “2” appended to it, like “MyNetwork2”. Just set up an additional association for the WAP54G and the pc should “roll” to the strongest signal.
    If you don’t use security or use only MAC filtering, you are finished as MAC filtering is automatically “inherited” from the WRT54G. Otherwise, you must…
    5. Click the “Enable” radio button next to “Wireless Security” on the main Web page. Then click the “Edit Security Settings” button. When the security settings page opens, enter the appropriate security mode settings. I use “WPA-Radius” in the WRT54G which is now called “WPA Enterprise” in the latest WRT54G firmware. Yes, the WAP54G does support WPA security but still uses the “old” names like “WPA-Radius”.
    That’s it, just place the WAP54G in a good location to be able to pick up the WRT54G and relay the signal to your “out-of-range” devices.
    09-12-09 02:22 PM
    The WAP54G works great with the Linksys WRT54G but the key is in the "config". The brief notes included in the package stress using the configuration software included with the WAP54G. This is fine for access point use but is extra work for "range extender" use.

You will need to get the following information from your WRT54G:
    1. The wireless MAC address (look under “Status/Wireless”, the one you see on the main “Status” page is the wired MAC address).
    2. The wireless channel number of the WRTG54G. If it’s on the default channel 6, you might want to try another channel that doesn’t have everyone in the world on it.
    3. The wireless network name (SSID). If it is the default “linksys” SSID, change it NOW!
    4. If you still use the default password for the WRT54G, change it NOW!
    5. Note the security settings you are using, if any.
    6. Make sure the WRT54G firmware is up to date and update if necessary.

The easy route is to power up the WAP54G and using a WiFi pc, associate with the "linksys" network, connect to IP 192.168.1.245 (http://192.168.1.245/) with Internet Explorer (some versions of Mozilla based browsers have problems with the Web interface of Linksys products) and enter the default password as shown in the package notes. This will open the Web interface. At this point, note the firmware version and update it to the latest version before continuing. With that out of the way, you can begin the configuration. There are only four things, five if you have security enabled, you have to change to enable the “range extender” function (actually, it’s the “Wireless Repeater” mode you must use with the WRT54G).
    1. On the main page of the Web interface, change the channel number to the same one the WRT54G uses. Save the change and click the continue button when it appears. If you don’t see the Web page reappear, you will need to re-associate with the “linksys” network.
    2. Click “AP Mode”, select the “Wireless Repeater” radio button, and enter the WRT54G’s wireless MAC address (I know it says “LAN MAC”, but it’s the wireless MAC you need here). Save changes and click continue.
    3. Click “Password” and change the default password. Save changes and click continue. You will have to enter the new password.
    4. Finally, click “Basic Setup” and change the SSID. If you want seamless handoff between the WAP54G and the WRT54G, you will want to use the same SSID as the WRT54G. This does make it a little more difficult to connect to the WAP54G if something “burps” and breaks the link to the WRT54G. I prefer to use the existing SSID with a “2” appended to it, like “MyNetwork2”. Just set up an additional association for the WAP54G and the pc should “roll” to the strongest signal.
    If you don’t use security or use only MAC filtering, you are finished as MAC filtering is automatically “inherited” from the WRT54G. Otherwise, you must…
    5. Click the “Enable” radio button next to “Wireless Security” on the main Web page. Then click the “Edit Security Settings” button. When the security settings page opens, enter the appropriate security mode settings. I use “WPA-Radius” in the WRT54G which is now called “WPA Enterprise” in the latest WRT54G firmware. Yes, the WAP54G does support WPA security but still uses the “old” names like “WPA-Radius”.
    That’s it, just place the WAP54G in a good location to be able to pick up the WRT54G and relay the signal to your “out-of-range” devices.

JEEEZ LARRY... could you explain that like I am THREE and use words like thingy and click the black box.
    09-12-09 07:36 PM
    I personally use a lynksys signal repeater and it works great. I get excellent wifi signal all around my house and up to 200 ft away. A great investment to improve my bold's wifi performance, just that you have to know how to set it up.
    09-12-09 07:49 PM
    I personally use a lynksys signal repeater and it works great. I get excellent wifi signal all around my house and up to 200 ft away. A great investment to improve my bold's wifi performance, just that you have to know how to set it up.
    And therein lies my problem I might end up in a coma trying to figure it out
    09-15-09 01:07 PM
    lmao.......try my instructions step by step
    09-16-09 08:34 PM
    D-Link also make a pretty affordable signal stregth extender. I believe it plugs in like a USB jump drive
    09-17-09 12:35 PM
    youll still have to configure it
    09-17-09 01:40 PM
    I need instant gratification
    09-17-09 07:18 PM
    I was looking at a device from Engenius. Does anybody here have experience with that brand?
    09-17-09 11:06 PM
    SandAngel, do you have a link to the actual product? larrygump's instructions work fine assuming you have a LINKSYS wifi range extender, but I don't think Staples carries those.

If you've got either of the Netgear units below, they are wired ethernet adapters. They take the place of running ethernet cable through your house. Bottom line, these won't work in your situation unless you have a second WiFi router to plug in on the far end.

Netgear 85Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapter Kit | Staples�
    Netgear XEB1004 - 85 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit | Staples�

If you've got the Netgear Rangemax extender, you'll have to RTFM cuz I don't know the first thing about it. Except that it works completely different from the powerline ethernet adapters above.

Netgear Rangemax WIFI Range Extender | Staples�
    09-19-09 12:17 PM
    I was looking at a device from Engenius. Does anybody here have experience with that brand?
    I wasnt happy with it.......not user friendly in the least
    09-20-09 11:29 AM
    SandAngel, do you have a link to the actual product? larrygump's instructions work fine assuming you have a LINKSYS wifi range extender, but I don't think Staples carries those.

If you've got either of the Netgear units below, they are wired ethernet adapters. They take the place of running ethernet cable through your house. Bottom line, these won't work in your situation unless you have a second WiFi router to plug in on the far end.

Netgear 85Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Adapter Kit | Staples�
    Netgear XEB1004 - 85 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Switch Kit | Staples�

If you've got the Netgear Rangemax extender, you'll have to RTFM cuz I don't know the first thing about it. Except that it works completely different from the powerline ethernet adapters above.

Netgear Rangemax WIFI Range Extender | Staples�
    Ok apparantly I have a NETGEAR(my eyes start glazing over if it's anything electronic so apparantly i couldn't read the name right)

NETGEAR powerline wireless range extender model WGXB102

Easily extends wireless internet to any room
    use existing powerlines
    NO SET UP REQUIRED
    Compatible with wired or wireless routers

OF course when I read the directions it starts talking abut CONFIGURING which doesn't quite match the NO SET UP REQUIRED stamped in bold on the front of the stupid box

This box has been in my closet for a YEAR NOW!!!!!!
    09-21-09 04:19 PM
    well setit up.....if you need help pin me.....ill walk you through it
    09-21-09 05:08 PM
    I'm hoping somebody can help me. I've got a Linksys WRT54G2 router and a Linksys WRE54G range expander. As long as I am in the range of the router, I can connect my 9700 (with BIS) and my 8900 (without a data plan). But I cannot connect when in the area of the range expander. (My laptops connect fine, btw.)

(The fine folks at TMobile told me that a range expander wouldn't work - and they claimed to have called RIM and RIM told them that.)

Any pointers would be great!
    12-10-09 08:02 PM
    OK - so I spent way too many hours before discovering that the WRE54G expander does NOT work with UMA. Anyone know which ones work?
    12-10-09 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD