here's the thing.. my Facebook, YM and internet (on Hotspot Browser) is working fine using my mobile provider's data network while wifi is off. If i turn on my wifi and turn off my mobile network, Facebook, YM and browsing is extremely fast so i know that I'm on wifi.

now, if i remove my sim card and left wifi on, i cannot access my facebook and YM and only browsing is permitted.

my question is while my sim card is in the phone with mobile network is off, do i get charge using my provider's data plan while I'm using Facebook and YM?

does the prioritize wifi over the provider's data plan when both turned on? co'z if both are turned on (wifi and mobile network), facebook, YM, emails are fast that's why I'm thinking that BB using wifi over the provider's data network.

thanks!
    09-02-09 06:10 PM
    Some applications simply cannot use wifi to access the internet as they are only designed to use the APN of your carrier and that is it. Hence, why some applications do not work.

If you disable your carriers network and use WiFi only then there is no charges assoc. with WiFi at all as there is no relation to your usage and your carriers network.

It would serve you well to read this as for prioritization, it depends on how you have your device set up in your browser and connection settings.
    09-02-09 06:34 PM
    You won't be charged at all for using WiFi...
    09-02-09 06:48 PM
    Some applications simply cannot use wifi to access the internet as they are only designed to use the APN of your carrier and that is it. Hence, why some applications do not work.

If you disable your carriers network and use WiFi only then there is no charges assoc. with WiFi at all as there is no relation to your usage and your carriers network.

It would serve you well to read as for prioritization, it depends on how you have your device set up in your browser and connection settings.

Hi Bla1ze,

how come FB and YM still works even if I disable my mobile network still with sim card is in and use wifi? does this mean that these applications still connects to the mobile network together with wifi?

i'm confused since when i remove my sim card "to make sure that i'm only using wifi", these apps won't work.

thanks
    09-02-09 07:31 PM
    in my case, the phone usually picks the faster of the 2 forms or internet... sometimes it runs on wifi if it has a good connection, other times it runs on 3g....
    09-05-09 01:23 PM
    I've been out of the US for 6 weeks, data off and WiFi on, and I've used 0MB of data this month according to AT&T. You'll be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 01:54 PM
    Mobile WiFi is free with a data or internet plan on AT&T.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 07:52 PM
    WiFi is always free, don't worry. As long as your mobile network is disabled, you're good.
    09-05-09 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD