Umm, I've been reading the forums here almost everyday ever since the launch of the 9900 and I don't remember seeing anyone having any issue with the wifi range of their 9900.

Except for me... I guess.

I've used the 9700 and the 9780 with no problem from my bedroom, the router is in my living room. However with the 9900, the reception becomes extremely slow and in some cases dies off. That's very weird. I don't have a big home, and I've never had this issue with neither previous BlackBerries.

Anyone having this issue? or noticed anything similar?
    08-23-11 05:24 PM
    Yes I'm having this issue as well (which issue am i not having lol) but i thought it could be my router because i got a different one from what i had before but still it shouldn't be this bad, i get i bar/dot upstairs (and thats not far at all) i used to get full bars on my 8900/8520/9700/9780, even my network signal is worser then the previous Berrys!
    08-23-11 05:29 PM
    Same here! :-( i got my 9550 rite beside the 9900 and the 9900 doesnt even find an available network but the 9550 is connected to the wifi o_0???
    08-29-11 10:11 PM
    Wifi Range on the 9900 is pretty poor, yes. I get 100% signal on a notebook sitting inches from the 9900, which gets about 30% signal...my 9780 gets 80% in the same location.
    08-29-11 10:15 PM
    I'm sitting about 20 feet away from my house and my iPod Touch is connected to the wifi watching Youtube videos (no buffereing) and the 9900 can't even find the wifi router

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 08:37 AM

someone please tell me this isnt true for both the 9900 and the 9930..

08-31-11 08:47 AM
    I have found the same thing. The WiFi reception is definitely weaker than I had with the 9650. I used to get a pretty good signal sitting in my living room with the 9650. The 9930 doesn't even see the network.
    08-31-11 08:57 AM
    Correct. I'm 10 feet away from router and have 2 of 3 wifi bars. Can't even walk to porch without losing it. These new bb def have some antenna issues, I'm having trouble with sprint network signal also.

08-31-11 09:27 AM
    What type do you have in your home? b/g/n? 5ghz? do any of these make a difference? I have Dual band N in the house and am wondering if I will have the same issues.....
    08-31-11 09:32 AM
    Im now wondering if this could be some sort of app or OS issue...? The 1st day i got my 9900 i used it over wifi in my bedroom, and office at work because i didnt get my unlock code to use my sim. Now that its unlocked and i've installed all my stuff from my old bb now it can even find a wireless network in the same office at work nor my bedroom...
    08-31-11 09:47 AM
    I can go about 50ft from my router and its still connected (that's the end of my garden) but at that point its very weak, and if I go inside my workshop at the top of my garden it drops the connection.

Inside the house I've full signal where ever I go.

I've a dual band netgear router with range max (7 internal antenna) and I'm always connected to the 5ghz N channel

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 09:52 AM
    Umm, I've been reading the forums here almost everyday ever since the launch of the 9900 and I don't remember seeing anyone having any issue with the wifi range of their 9900.

I've used the 9700 and the 9780 with no problem from my bedroom, the router is in my living room. However with the 9900, the reception becomes extremely slow and in some cases dies off. That's very weird. I don't have a big home, and I've never had this issue with neither previous BlackBerries.

It seems that over here on Crackberry, nobody ever seems to have issues with their Blackberries... Sorry for being that blunt (and sarcastic).
    Back to topic: My 9900, FW 353/544, has WiFi issues too. Actually not real issues but the signal reception isn't that good. I pick up 5 different WiFi signals in my house with my iPhone 4 but only two with my 9900 and I can only connect to one WiFi hotspot (I have two in my house).

Also pretty bad (worse than on my iPhone 4 and it is no secret that the iPhone 4 is no signal reception king either): Cell phone signal reception. I expected at least the same signal reception quality as on my 9700 but apparently the 9900 is worse. Sad.
    08-31-11 09:55 AM
    I have N+ router and about 10 feet away I start losing signal.
    08-31-11 09:59 AM
    As much as I really want this phone (and am patiently waiting for it's release on AT&T) if it has antenna issues it's a no go. That's one of the things I love about my berry and it annoys me the terrible WiFi reception I get on my 9700.

08-31-11 10:03 AM
    Well eliminate factores, how are you holding the phone (death grip) place it on a non hard surface ect.. Left or right handed.. Chubby fingers lol

It might not even be hardware related. Remember when apple released the ip4 they stated it was just a low signal cut off issue software wise. Maybe that was just bs but hey.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 10:15 AM
    Also find the wifi signal strength is an issue for about 30% of the time. I use an AirPort Express base station. It's fine of laptops, tablets, PS3, wife's iPhone 4, and Apple TV. Can't say ideal for the 9900 once I get some 'significant' distance from the router. Will upgrade to Airport Extreme anyway. Better for NetFlix anyway! LOL.
    Cheers,
    08-31-11 10:58 AM
    Have you ever checked your router? I do not have any issues on my 9930. I can sit outside in back with router upstairs in front of home. Usually when my laptop, netbook, iPod, etc. has Wi/Fi issues, it lies 99% of the time with the router and a reset of the router fixes everything.
    Have you check the troubleshooting section in the user guide? There are simple tips for example the time on phone and network.
    Did you check your router's options and settings and that your phone is setup accordingly?
    Are you sure there isn't another device sharing the same IP address on the router?
    Do you use an authentication method requiring a certificate? (certificate must be installed on phone)
    Do you have encryption activated?
    Bottomline, when it gets to Wi/Fi and security, it becomes tricky if you do not follow the setup and options precisely?
    08-31-11 01:17 PM
    the wifi range on my phone is amazing !

i can walk to either corner of my street and still be locked into my network.

i have the 9930 btw
    08-31-11 01:33 PM
    I have no signal issues.

My router is in the basement, surrounded by concrete, and I get about half reception on the third floor, in my top bunk (highest point in the house.

08-31-11 02:52 PM
    my 9930 kills. i got a n router and it shows! rocking a stock verizon .254 os, phone was made in Mexico 5 if it helps. maybe it's a 9900 thing???
    08-31-11 04:09 PM

I am having the same problem too - exactly the same and yeah my 9700 had no problem receiving wifi in my bedroom but my 9900 drops it everytime. I don't live in a huge house either . My daughter has the Iphone and she picks it up just fine in her room which is as far away as mine. (35 - 40 ft from router) Our laptops have no problem with Wifi.
    Virgin Mobile told me to return it for an exchange but this new one is doing the same thing ! I'm hoping that an OS update will help this out somewhat. It seems there are more than a few of us with this problem.
    08-31-11 04:22 PM
    Have you ever checked your router? I do not have any issues on my 9930. I can sit outside in back with router upstairs in front of home. Usually when my laptop, netbook, iPod, etc. has Wi/Fi issues, it lies 99% of the time with the router and a reset of the router fixes everything.
    Have you check the troubleshooting section in the user guide? There are simple tips for example the time on phone and network.
    Did you check your router's options and settings and that your phone is setup accordingly?
    Are you sure there isn't another device sharing the same IP address on the router?
    Do you use an authentication method requiring a certificate? (certificate must be installed on phone)
    Do you have encryption activated?
    Bottomline, when it gets to Wi/Fi and security, it becomes tricky if you do not follow the setup and options precisely?
    In my case atleast it cant be a router issue since my laptop, 9550 and my gf 9780 all connect to the same router all on the same desk but the 9900 cant find a wireless network.

Im leaning to it being a OS issue because the 1st day i got it everything worked fine, I used it over wifi because i didnt get my unlock code, in the this same room and all was well. but i've since upgrade to the leak .353. maybe thats the cause.
    08-31-11 04:36 PM
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bump!
    09-03-11 09:03 AM
    Yep i hate to say it but i have this issue...noticed it last night when i was outside in the garden having a smoke. On my 9780 i used to get about 2-3 bars on my wifi but with my 9900 i hardly get one bar or usually its no bars.

I live in a 3 bedroom house, 2 stories high so it seems to me that my 9900 has a problem whereas my 9780 never did...my router is in my bedroom which is above my living room and even there i get about 3 bars if im lucky compared to my 9780 which got the full 5 bars...even my playbook holds the wifi signal better than the 9900.

Bit disappointed and not sure what to do as i have played with my router settings last night to no avail.

Could be a faulty 9900??...
    09-03-11 09:52 AM
    I have the same issue with my 9930. I can connect to some routers with a signal that's half as strong as it should be, others I can't connect to at all... low signal strength even with the phone touching the router.

I loaded the latest OS and there was no difference, and tried disabling mobile network, etc, no difference. This must be a hardware problem. Has anyone had their phone replaced by RIM for this issue?
    09-06-11 10:00 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD