when browsing with WIFI is it still supposed to say at the bottom when loading a page how many kbs it has to download for the page to load? ex. 2kb of 3kb. And yes it does say UMA in the top corner.

i just wanted to know cause i dont have an internet data plan just, email and instant messaging and i wanted to download themes without using data on the internet.
    07-11-09 04:45 PM
    when browsing with WIFI is it still supposed to say at the bottom when loading a page how many kbs it has to download for the page to load? ex. 2kb of 3kb. And yes it does say UMA in the top corner.

i just wanted to know cause i dont have an internet data plan just, email and instant messaging and i wanted to download themes without using data on the internet.
    No mattter the connection, it's supposed to show the status of the loading page.
    07-11-09 04:59 PM
    No mattter the connection, it's supposed to show the status of the loading page.
    just makin sure, w/e searching i do or downloading i do on WIFI is free?
    07-11-09 05:29 PM
    just makin sure, w/e searching i do or downloading i do on WIFI is free?
    As long as on a WiFi connections (the Wi-Fi logo whited out) then yes.
    07-11-09 05:45 PM
    well thanks! im just paranoid about getting huge charges for surfing and downloading on my phone while using WIFI.
    07-11-09 05:50 PM
    i dont have an internet data plan just, email and instant messaging ...
    If it says UMA, that means you have access to your plan including data for downloading. If your plan does not include data, it will be charged at a high rate when used.

Anything you download, will be charge to your plan.

The only free service is Hotspot Browsing.
    07-11-09 06:23 PM
    If it says UMA, that means you have access to your plan including data for downloading. If your plan does not include data, it will be charged at a high rate when used.

i have both those things set when i browse, UMA and Hot Spot Browsing so wouldnt that make surfing and downloading free? not saying ive done this, well just a tiny bit of surfing but, i just want to make sure i wont be charged for it before i do.
    07-11-09 06:55 PM

Rogers is bizarre. They offer an email only plan without internet? Its all data!
    07-11-09 07:54 PM

i have both those things set when i browse, UMA and Hot Spot Browsing so wouldnt that make surfing and downloading free? not saying ive done this, well just a tiny bit of surfing but, i just want to make sure i wont be charged for it before i do.
    07-11-09 08:27 PM
    You shouldn't be charged so long as you are using the Hot Spot Browser. Also, if the pages and data loads quick, then you are definately using WiFi.

And yes, Rogers is bizarre .. yet I still love it We are so unique .. haha
    07-11-09 08:31 PM
    You shouldn't be charged so long as you are using the Hot Spot Browser. Also, if the pages and data loads quick, then you are definately using WiFi.

And yes, Rogers is bizarre .. yet I still love it We are so unique .. haha
    thanks again raji. t!

lol yeah rogers is odd, i called to ask how much data i used and they told me over a meg, i almost crapped my pants but, then i realized that email and instant messaging is also considered data.

i also asked them the same WIFI QUESTIONS but, they didnt seem to know the answer to any of my questions, WTH is up with that! lol.
    07-11-09 08:57 PM
    You have confirmed the critical part. As long as you are using the Hotspot Browser, you will not be charged for browsing.

Rogers has gone through some interesting changes. One year ago, the BlackBerry plan was based on 1.5 Mb of data use for $15 and $10 Mb for additional data.

Then came the iPhone and the need for large amounts of data. Rogers offered a BlackBerry package of 6 Gb for $30 in order to stay competitive.

When the introduction was over, the standard package became 500 Mb for $30.

Reciently, we see them offering Unlimited E-Mail and messaging, but no data for Browsing or third party applications.

i also asked them the same WIFI QUESTIONS
    LOL, Customer service personnel are not technical people, they work from prepared scripts. If your question includes certain key words, that determines the answer they read back to you. For the most part, it works well, but nobody had got around to writing the Wifi/UMA scripts.

There is one sure source of accurate information. When you receive your Rogers bill, it will include a daily breakdown of your voice and data use. In the past, new Rogers customer were provided with unlimited data access for the first three months. Do they still do that?
    07-12-09 09:20 AM
    The best way to make sure you are using WIFI is to go into connections and disable the connection to the mobile network entirely temporarily. If you can still browse and download your themes then you know you're browsing using WIFI.
    07-12-09 09:59 AM
    The best way to make sure you are using WIFI is to go into connections and disable the connection to the mobile network entirely temporarily. If you can still browse and download your themes then you know you're browsing using WIFI.
    lol i totally forgot about turning my service provider off. well that seems to work pretty good. THANKS!
    07-12-09 02:26 PM
    i have one more question!

i turned my phone service provider off so that i know im just using the wifi to search but, is it supposed to show the internet provider that you are connected to? ex. ROGERS - WIFI NAME
    07-12-09 02:51 PM

When you have a Wifi connection, the SSID of the network will display beside the carrier.

Manage Connections lets you stop your carrier connection for testing. When you stop Network Connection, the carrier goes away.
    07-12-09 03:54 PM

When you have a Wifi connection, the SSID of the network will display beside the carrier.

Manage Connections lets you stop your carrier connection for testing. When you stop Network Connection, the carrier goes away.
    Mobile Network - OFF (ROGERS)
    WIFI - ON [(SSID) ROGERS]

my internet and cell phone is with ROGERS.

you say the SSID is displayed next to the carrier... do you mean the source of the WIFI as in the internet carrier?
    07-12-09 05:21 PM
    Have you received a bill yet bb8900guy?

I'm curious to know if browsing with wifi connected, and the Rogers mobile network turned off, accumulates data charges. I thought I had configured my browser accordingly to only use wifi, and even turned off the mobile network while i was browsing, and still got charged for data usage from Rogers.
    07-14-09 05:13 PM
    i havent received my rogers bill where i actually started using my WIFI. i started using it because i called multiple wireless locations and they said i wouldnt be charged for any surfing or downloading that i do.
    07-14-09 08:39 PM
    really all i do is download themes and even then i still use a method that isnt supposed to use any data.

heres the link if you want to do the same.

How To: Install applications and themes via OTA with or without using data | BlackBerry Rocks!
    Last edited by bb8900guy; 07-14-09 at 09:10 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
    07-14-09 09:01 PM
    Hmm. Well I only used the Internet Browser to surf, and I didn't even download anything and I got charged about 1600 kb of data.

Yesterday I pulled my SIM card and I was still able to browse using wifi, so I think i'm going to call Rogers and get them to block all data to my phone. I only use the wifi anyways. I'm interested to know if you get charged though on your next bill!
    07-15-09 11:48 AM
    yeah when i get it ill let you know.
    07-15-09 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD