I have no problems connecting with the internet and with my WiFi router at home.

But my question is: Which is the better, faster one to use?

When I first got the phone, and it located my WiFi at home, on the top right corner of the display next to the signal bar, it used to say UMA

Now, I don't know what I've done to the phone lately (you know, playing around with the settings to learn about the phone), but now recently, I DON'T see UMA. I only see EDGE.

Can anyone explain this to me please?

btw: The WiFi does light up whenever I'm connected.

Thank you everybody! Peace

Rex
    06-05-09 05:21 AM
    The basics are as follows: UMA is calls using your wireless router over the internet, and EDGE is calls using your cell phone provider. I've seen Wifi connected without UMA, but not often.

UMA does not mean you get calls for free, it just means it's using the internet to connect, so in these cases your calls can come into areas that might not have very good cell phone coverage... T-Mobile has a Hotspot calling plan that uses the UMA to make calls and those minutes do not count as part of your normal minutes on your calling plan... I think that runs about $10 a month extra... but if you don't have the Hotspot calling plan any minutes calling using UMA does count against the minutes of your calling plan.
    06-05-09 05:49 AM
    Also, wifi is faster than edge. If your having trouble connecting to UMA, some people have had success using this guide:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/uma-setup-how-206217/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD