I'm new to the Blackberry scene, so naturally this question may come off as moronic. What's the difference between WiFi on Storm 2 and the regular internet on the original Storm? Obviously, WiFi is much better, but I'm curious as to why. Thanks.
    10-15-09 10:09 AM
    If you're somewhere and have poor signal but have access to wifi, you can switch to wifi and still have data access.
    10-15-09 10:13 AM
    Wifi is not necessarily better. The Storm 2 is better than the Storm 1 because it has wifi. Wifi is in addition to the cellular connection in the Storm 1. Wifi can be faster, although Verizon (and Vodafone) 3G network is pretty damn fast! Wifi can work inside buildings, a place where cellular connections sometimes have trouble. The benefit is that with cellular AND wifi, you get more options for internet access and speeds.
    10-15-09 10:13 AM
    I'm new to the Blackberry scene, so naturally this question may come off as moronic. What's the difference between WiFi on Storm 2 and the regular internet on the original Storm? Obviously, WiFi is much better, but I'm curious as to why. Thanks.
    If you're at home and have internet service via cable or DSL and have a wireless router/modem you can use that internet connection for the device. It is much quicker than standard 3G service. You can also use Hotspots at Starbucks, McDonalds, etc that offer Wifi. They are also offering Wifi on planes now. Bottom line is Wifi is much faster than regular 3G coverage.

Edit: Real World speeds: Verizon maxes out at 3.1 or 3.2 Mbps. AT&T is maxing out at 3.6Mbps. Depends on coverage area. REGARDLESS, Wifi is FASTER than either network. No contest.
    10-15-09 10:15 AM
    With the "regular internet" you would need to have a data plan for your phone, which can cost you $30.00 to $40.00 a month. You also need to have a cellular signal for it to work from.
    With WiFi you don't need the extra cost pof a data plan or a signal, other than WiFi. This may be helpful, as some of the airlines are now making WiFi available on their planes.
    10-15-09 10:17 AM
    you're still paying for the data plan regardless.
    10-15-09 10:19 AM
    With the "regular internet" you would need to have a data plan for your phone, which can cost you $30.00 to $40.00 a month. You also need to have a cellular signal for it to work from.
    With WiFi you don't need the extra cost pof a data plan or a signal, other than WiFi. This may be helpful, as some of the airlines are now making WiFi available on their planes.
    You MUST pay for a data plan when you buy a BB...
    10-15-09 10:20 AM
    You MUST pay for a data plan when you buy a BB...
    On Verizon correct. This isn't so on all carriers.
    10-15-09 10:21 AM
    The thing with vzw 3G is its outside cities where as att service for 3G lacks coverage area. I found that out the hard way.
    If you're at home and have internet service via cable or DSL and have a wireless router/modem you can use that internet connection for the device. It is much quicker than standard 3G service. You can also use Hotspots at Starbucks, McDonalds, etc that offer Wifi. They are also offering Wifi on planes now. Bottom line is Wifi is much faster than regular 3G coverage.

Edit: Real World speeds: Verizon maxes out at 3.1 or 3.2 Mbps. AT&T is maxing out at 3.6Mbps. Depends on coverage area. REGARDLESS, Wifi is FASTER than either network. No contest.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 10:23 AM
    On Verizon correct. This isn't so on all carriers.

of course u are right--I keep forgetting we aren't ALL Verizon subscribers.
    10-15-09 10:24 AM
    The thing with vzw 3G is its outside cities where as att service for 3G lacks coverage area. I found that out the hard way.

I love Verizons 3G coverage. I get continuous coverage all the way between San Jose and LA. (I listen to Pandora in the car, and my wife uses her netbook during the drive). Even on the grapevine, we have continuous coverage. It's awesome. Oh, almost forgot to say--I'm using a MiFi unit.
    10-15-09 10:26 AM
    I'm confused at to the role that the WIFI plays concerning applications. Like, how will the BB differentiate between using the WIFI connection or radio connection for connections? Like, I understand if you're on the phone, the WIFI will kick in for emails/whatever else.

I guess it's easier with an example. My house is right smack in the middle of a receptionless spot. So, does that mean that since I have WIFI in my house, can I use BBM, email, AIM, Facebook, etc through the WIFI?

Or when there IS reception and you start Google Maps for instance, will it go with the fastest connection or will it default to one or the other?

I've never had a phone with WIFI so I'm just curious!
    10-15-09 11:07 AM
    My house is right smack in the middle of a receptionless spot.
    You should look up UMA then. My mom and stepdad live in a rural part of WA and it trips them out how I have no problem at all using my phone at their house.
    10-15-09 11:15 AM
    How do u like the mifi? I'm looking to upgrade my data card. But I'm thing wait till spring when 4G/lte is avaible for data cards
    I love Verizons 3G coverage. I get continuous coverage all the way between San Jose and LA. (I listen to Pandora in the car, and my wife uses her netbook during the drive). Even on the grapevine, we have continuous coverage. It's awesome. Oh, almost forgot to say--I'm using a MiFi unit.
    Last edited by moosc; 10-15-09 at 11:28 AM.
    10-15-09 11:20 AM
    Keep in mind that there's going to be a third Android handset on Verizon with Mifi built in.

Verizon's third Android device to have MiFi capabilities (Phone Arena News)
    10-15-09 11:46 AM
    How do u like the mifi? I'm looking to upgrade my data card. But I'm thing wait till spring when 4G/lte is avaible for data cards

I love the MiFi, despite the high cost of service. I've read where there will be laptops (or netbooks) with MiFi in the future. I don't think I'll see LTE anytime soon around here. I also don't know what type of fee they'll charge for the faster service--hopefully we'll see some price competition and lower prices but not holding my breath. EVERY service we have goes UPower, telephone, water, garbage, cable, internet, cell phone---you name it, the fees keep increasing.
    10-15-09 01:56 PM
    I love the MiFi, despite the high cost of service. I've read where there will be laptops (or netbooks) with MiFi in the future. I don't think I'll see LTE anytime soon around here. I also don't know what type of fee they'll charge for the faster service--hopefully we'll see some price competition and lower prices but not holding my breath. EVERY service we have goes UPower, telephone, water, garbage, cable, internet, cell phone---you name it, the fees keep increasing.
    Took me a min to realize that the forum filter picked up your

"UP: power" as "UPower" lol
    10-15-09 02:01 PM
    Took me a min to realize that the forum filter picked up your

"UP: power" as "UPower" lol
    Call me dumb--I don't see why there is a filter for "UP:"
    10-15-09 02:04 PM
    It turned the : p in to a smiley.
    10-15-09 02:09 PM
    Verizon to Launch a MiFi-Capable Android Phone - Available in early 2010 - Softpedia

there's the link (in response to a comment about MiFi-capable phone rumors)
    10-15-09 02:14 PM
    Maybe I'm confused...but I'm not understanding how MiFi would be such a great addition to a cell phone. Bottom line...if you have cell coverage and EVDO A, you arleady have the fast access. But if there is no cell coverage then doesn't that by default mean there is no MiFi coverage? In that scenario woudln't wifi be preferable in the device since in a non coverage area it doesn't matter if you have MiFi or not? But if you have wifi you could at least tap into a DSL or cable connection?
    10-15-09 02:26 PM
    Maybe I'm confused...but I'm not understanding how MiFi would be such a great addition to a cell phone. Bottom line...if you have cell coverage and EVDO A, you arleady have the fast access. But if there is no cell coverage then doesn't that by default mean there is no MiFi coverage? In that scenario woudln't wifi be preferable in the device since in a non coverage area it doesn't matter if you have MiFi or not? But if you have wifi you could at least tap into a DSL or cable connection?
    Yup, you are definitely confused. MiFi connects to the internet and then acts as a router for up to 5 devices. It's about the size of a credit card, but thicker and lasts for about 4 hours on battery.
    10-15-09 02:42 PM
    If you're using a mifi, you probably don't have a dsl or cable connection, thus no wifi.
    10-15-09 02:45 PM
    If you're using a mifi, you probably don't have a dsl or cable connection, thus no wifi.
    You too, are confused. Mifi creates a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices, using the 3G network of Verizon. Sprint also sells a MiFi unit that is nearly identical.
    10-15-09 03:02 PM
    not confused. Was just saying that there would be no point in using a mifi if you had access to wifi over a dsl or cable connection. The other guy is correct in saying that if you have no coverage, then the mifi would be pointless.
    10-15-09 03:04 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD