This WiFi question pertains to any and all smart phones with WiFi, but since I am going to be getting the Storm 2 I thought I would ask it here. I have never had a phone with WiFi before, however I had an iTouch for a long time and love the speed of the WiFi over the connection speed I get on my Storm. My question is pretty simple, if a smart phone (Storm 2) has WiFi enabled and is in a WiFi hot spot, do the phone functions revert to using the WiFi (faster) connection over the (slower) network it currently runs on? I'm talking like all the functions, like calls, text, mms, email, web browsing...

Please don't hate... I really don't know and haven't found a good answer online.
    09-01-09 03:10 PM
    if it is like my old smartphone, no. you would have to manually turn the wifi on and off.

o nm, didn't completely read the question...but my guess is still no
    09-01-09 03:12 PM
    Well that will suck... So it does not function like the iTouch and auto connect if in range of a known connection?
    09-01-09 03:15 PM
    i thought u had the option to prefer wifi over the carrier's service? Not sure about hot spots. I could be wrong.
    09-01-09 03:15 PM
    Wifi is built into BlackBerry in support of Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). When you have a Wifi connection, UMA enables all of your voice and data to use the must higher bandwidth Wifi connection.

It is superior to the Apple approach that limits Wifi to Internet data only.

I'm talking like all the functions, like calls, text, mms, email, web browsing...
    Yes.

UMA Technology : Overview

09-01-09 03:42 PM
    Thanks Reed McLay! Very interesting. Is this UMA Technology carrier specific? Like would it be possible for VZW not to allow it?
    09-01-09 04:46 PM
    I think T-mobile is the only US carrier to allow this.....I could be wrong though.
    09-01-09 05:09 PM
    This WiFi question pertains to any and all smart phones with WiFi, but since I am going to be getting the Storm 2 I thought I would ask it here. I have never had a phone with WiFi before, however I had an iTouch for a long time and love the speed of the WiFi over the connection speed I get on my Storm. My question is pretty simple, if a smart phone (Storm 2) has WiFi enabled and is in a WiFi hot spot, do the phone functions revert to using the WiFi (faster) connection over the (slower) network it currently runs on? I'm talking like all the functions, like calls, text, mms, email, web browsing...

Please don't hate... I really don't know and haven't found a good answer online.
    My 8350i from Nextel does use wifi over network as long as it is saved in the phone already. For example, as soon as I get to my driveway, my home network shows up on the phone. It's cool like that.
    09-01-09 07:49 PM
    If you have your WiFi on and you are in the range of a saved network, your phone will automatically connect to it. Otherwise you will need to scan and connect to the network. Obviously if the WiFi is off the phone won't know of any nearby hotspots. That's how it works on BlackBerry.

There is an option under Network somewhere that says "WiFi preferred." I assume that means the phone will use WiFi for it's data (emails, etc.) when it can. Also, many applications are built with connection features. They could have auto, WiFi or cell network in the settings.

I believe the 8900 and the 8350i are the only UMA enabled BlackBerrys right now. Only these phones will use WiFi for calls and texts when they can.
    09-01-09 09:23 PM
    other verizon phones with WI-Fi do allow both data and calls, but they do not use UMA. I would think the bb will function the same way.
    09-01-09 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD