Dont really understand WiFi. I do what it says, scans for networks, BB will make pin for you etc etc. Now I don't have any wireless router or anything. I just want to use WiFi to see how fast it is. I tried many times. Am I missing something? If I'm not mistaken it can only work in certain places right? How do I know what places that is? Just want to take full advantage of my 8900.

Thanks
    Mike
    05-23-09 08:47 AM
    Check out this thread... and please read more than the first posting... http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    05-23-09 08:50 AM
    ok I;m connected to WiFi it says but do I have to scan for networks every time I want to use WiFi? Also how do I know I'm connected to WiFi? The logo is always there I think.

Thanks Mike
    05-23-09 09:05 AM
    Ok, first you only need to scan for a network one time... then it is in your list of wireless routers... so any time you want to connect to a NEW router you do need to scan and connect to that new router.

Second, when you are connected the Wifi symbol is White... if you are not truly connected it is greyed out, whether you are out of range or it's not working.
    05-23-09 09:11 AM
    Thanks for your help I understand now. Once again thanks alot.

Mike
    05-23-09 09:13 AM
    Your welcome.... oh, there is also one other way of checking your status, but it's a few more clicks... open Manage Connections and look at Wifi, you can stop Wifi by unchecking the checkbox next to Wifi, but while this is on you will see a Green check saying you are connected and the name you gave your router... if it is just a White dash, this means you are not connected to any router.
    05-23-09 09:21 AM
    Great thanks. Didn't notice a huge speed increase while connected to WiFi but sometimes the sites did pop up alot faster. Atleast I know if I'm connected or not. Thanks you were a huge help/

Mike
    05-23-09 09:38 AM
    Might also want to check you Blackberry Browser Options... open your Browser > Menu > Options > General Properties > Default Browser: set this to Hotspot Browser... I've found occasionally I would need to change this to Internet Browser if I'm not connected to a router, but not always.
    05-23-09 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD