Is there a wifi-only email application that will alert me when I have a message? LogicMail doesn't seem to. Or, barring that, is there a workaround, such as something that turns an email into an IM, so that Instango can alert me to it? I haven't been able to find a direct email-to-IM gateway, but I did find a couple services that theoretically could serve as an email-to-RSS-to-IM gateway. They are:

MailBucket.org , which lets you forward messages to whatever [at] mailbucket.org, and posts them at mailbucket.org/whatever.xml , and

ZapTXT.com , which retrieves RSS feeds and forwards items to an IM account.

MailBucket works fine, but I've yet to successfully get a ZapTXT item to appear as an IM.

Alternatively, if there's a wifi-only Twitter application, TwitterMail.com theoretically takes mail you forward to TwitterMail and puts it in your Twitter feed. But I wasn't able to get that to work.

The RSS workaround obviously lacks privacy, though someone would have to know where to look to find your email. I'm only using this to get alerts for mailing list, anyway. The Twitter workaround would allow you to forward email to an account that has updates hidden.

This all seems too complicated, though. Hasn't anyone come up with a solution?
    01-13-09 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD