I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow, and will be using Wi-Fi only (Mobile Network connections off) will applications such as Slacker Radio still work? Also will blackberry be able to connect to foreign WiFi Hotspots!

Thanks
    01-18-10 11:31 AM
    wifi is wifi is wifi. it doesnt matter where you are, so long as they are compatible (802.11 b/g for the S2).

as far as being able to use wifi only, I can't say for sure... however, I thought I read that you still have to be connected through the network to get data.

edit: just tested it- turned off the mobile network and just used wifi. The browser still works, as does appworld. Since I don't use Slacker, I cant give a 100% yes/no on that, but other data services are still working- including email.
    01-18-10 11:54 AM
    I just tried and confirmed what I already thought. It DOES work. I just tried slacker radio cause that's the one you mentioned. Have fun.....this phone kicks A$$!!!
    01-18-10 11:58 AM
    I just tried and confirmed what I already thought. It DOES work. I just tried slacker radio cause that's the one you mentioned. Have fun.....this phone kicks A$$!!!
    i will second this finding. I've used it with wifi only plenty of times. I believe pandora works wifi only, as well, if you use that app.
    01-18-10 12:48 PM
    I was about to try, but thanks for confirming it. I hate shutting my network down lol
    01-18-10 12:48 PM
    If you have stations cached on Slacker, you don't even need Wi-Fi to listen. The cached stations wIll play even when there is no connection at all. So you could play your cached stations on the airplane.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 12:52 PM
    You may want to follow the cache advice if you plan on using slacker in mexico. I'm not sure if slacker has proper licensing in mexico. I could be wrong but they were just discussing canada getting slacker with the most recent update in the last crackberry podcast. Wi-fi might not care not sure. Just a thought be safe cache your favorite two stations before you leave.
    01-18-10 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD