I just got a berry torch last week and love it. However on my old curve I could disable the data so it didn't bleed dry and use my wifi whenever. On my torch, when I have data disabled it says I'm connected to my home network with nearly full signal and when I hit my browser it says unable to connect to Internet. If problem persists, contact service provider. I called AT&T and they tried a hard reset (even though the phone was only a day old) and it did nothing so they told me to return it to the store and get a replacement. I did, and this one is doing the same thing! Ive tried redoing my home router but it's every network I've tried not just my home one. Any suggestions? And I'll restate it is showing it connected, just not allowing me to actualy do anything with it. 3G data connection works fine but I shouldn't have to bleed thAt dry when I got the phone with the convenience of home wifi!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 09:03 PM
    Im pretty sure that things like the browser BBM and email all need to go through the RIM server, and cant run on WIFI alone.
    12-27-10 09:26 PM
    Just tried turning mobile network off on my tourch and it worked fine over wifi.

Funny thing is I have ne'er been able to use uma whilst roaming before as it would never connect stopping me from making savings using wifi when abroad but with mobile net disabled it went straight to uma, fantastic for me.

12-28-10 07:07 AM
    You say you turned data off, what exactly do you mean because there is an option to turn data off. If you mean you turned your network off, everything should work fine over wifi.

What you need to check is:

Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options

Make sure there is a check in the box for Data Services. Although this only pertains to your network data.

With wifi enabled(you should see the bis icon(4 dots) next to your wifi indicator) everything should work no differently then if your connected to your mobile network.

Another quick thing you can check is under: Manage Connections > Service Status
    You should see under Blackberry Internet Service(BIS) the word WIFI, telling you your receiving data via wifi. If it says your mobile provider then your not connected to wifi. Also in that same screen there is Wifi Network box giving you your wifi information(Active Profile, SSID, and Type).
    12-28-10 08:00 AM

Another quick thing you can check is under: Manage Connections > Service Status
    You should see under Blackberry Internet Service(BIS) the word WIFI, telling you your receiving data via wifi. If it says your mobile provider then your not connected to wifi. Also in that same screen there is Wifi Network box giving you your wifi information(Active Profile, SSID, and Type).
    I dont, how do I see that?
    12-28-10 08:18 AM
    Are you connected to wifi?

Manage Connections > Service status

Bottom option on the manage connections screen. Also if your connected to a wifi source it should give you the name(SSID) of the wifi on your homescreen.
    12-28-10 08:27 AM
    I am connected and it does give me it.
    But since i dont have the package deal up and running, i dont think it will work for me. or?
    12-28-10 08:34 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "package deal"? if you mean you don't have data package with your carrier, nothing you do will allow you to use wifi for browsing. Wifi doesn't use your service providers network but you still have to have a data package so you have BIS.
    Hassnatt likes this.
    12-28-10 08:53 AM
    Exactly, thats it. But thats the only thing I dont understand.
    But like, if I have BIS in one country + data package. But go to another one, where I use thats countrys simcard and i dont have data package with it. Will everything work? Or will I have to be connected in that country?
    12-28-10 11:49 AM
    U will have to connect it in that country also.

12-28-10 03:56 PM
    It should have been a universal thing. THAT would make people buy BB like crazy, lol.
    12-28-10 04:37 PM
    I have the same, i guess issue, though it seems like it was designed this way.

Mobile Network Options > Data Off

Service Status > Not Connected for BIS, though I am showing Wi-Fi connection on status bar at the top of the screen.

Also getting lots of weird data transfers on my bill even though I am using Wi-Fi a home had a 1000k transfer last night...
    01-01-11 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD