Hey guys
    My GF just picked up a blackberry 8520 here in India and for some strange reason, no matter which Wifi router we try hooking her phone up to, the name shows up and she can browse and everything, but for some strange reason, it wont turn white.

I read somewhere else on this forum that if its grey and not white, that means the Blackberry services still use the SIM data network and wifi for everything else. Is there anyway to over ride this and to ensure that the WIFI is used across all data networks whenever available (which is most of the time at home and the office)

The odd part is that I have a Blackberry 9000 and connecting to the same networks gives me a full white wifi logo.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards
    Mithun
    02-06-10 02:44 AM
    Check if any updated are available for the router from the manufacturers website. I had the same issue with my BB 8530 when when I got it. If the icon is not white you are not connected to wifi.

Once I updated the router and did a reboot on my phone it connected immediately.

Good luck!
    02-06-10 08:06 AM
    Do you guys have BIS active? When I bought mine, I went through the 2nd month without BIS and after a while the wifi logo went grey. I could still use internet with wifi but apps like Facebook and Windows Live Messenger wouldn't work through wifi, only through BIS. I would also start to have connection issues, I would get errors saying that my connection was lost or that the server was busy. It wasnt until I had BIS reactivated that my service books were re-sent to me and my logo now stays white. My mom's 8350i stays grey since she doesn't have BIS, but has issues staying connected through wifi. If you don't habe BIS, then I don't think the logo will turn white. If you do, then you might need to resend your service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 08:28 AM
    Not that this is applicable to the 8520, but the latest Sprint OS .495 seems to give me much better wifi connectivity than previous OSes. Can either be an issue with your router firmware, or you phone OS.
    02-06-10 02:52 PM
    Guys
    Here's the weird part. She has a data plan that restricts her data usage to mails and messengers only. She doesnt have an unlimited data plan. I am guessing its something to do with the service book that the network sends over and i pretty much tested this out.

What I did was downloaded google sync to her phone over the wifi. Once downloaded, I tried using the "sync" feature on her phone. Google Sync keeps giving an error saying error with connection. On the contrary, I have a bold with an unlimited data plan. But to make sure that i am not using the data services over EDGE, i navigated to manage connections and turned off the mobile network. Now we both are connected to the same wifi router. The same version of google sync works on my phone, where as it gives us the error on hers.

Thats why i am doubting the guys at the service provider end.

Anyone care to add or confirm?
    02-06-10 05:28 PM
    She would have to have BIS on her account/phone in order for the wifi logo to turn white. Even though u shut your mobile connection off on your Bold and used wifi you still need to pass through through BIS servers for data, internet, email.
    02-06-10 07:32 PM
    Hey guys!
    Thanks for the speedy responses. So getting this straight. One would need the BIS servers on the phone for data, internet and email. Only then would she be able to use the WIFi for apps like Google Sync and stuff?

As a test, should I put my SIM (with an unlimited data plan) on her phone and try the same over the wifi?? Would that work?

How do I tell the service provider to allow access?

02-07-10 12:58 AM
    Hey guys!
    Thanks for the speedy responses. So getting this straight. One would need the BIS servers on the phone for data, internet and email. Only then would she be able to use the WIFi for apps like Google Sync and stuff?

As a test, should I put my SIM (with an unlimited data plan) on her phone and try the same over the wifi?? Would that work?

How do I tell the service provider to allow access?

Call the service provider and ask them to add the BB Data Plan or BB Unlimited Plan. Not sure what your provider has. As for the SIM Im not sure but you can try to see if it makes a difference.
    02-07-10 10:21 PM
    Hey stevcha
    Thanks for the reply again. After about 2 hours of going back and forth with them on the phone (at one go mind you), I spoke to the service providers and one guy from RIM that the service provider con-called me with who was sitting somewhere in Canada.

This is for all the people that might be curious about the same problem, if they ever run into it. What happens is, when you subscribe to a data plan with your service provider, that data plan is configured by RIM for your service provider. Unfortunately, on limited data plans (also depending on what features your service provider wants enabled), most of the time, they only allow for WiFi access to your browser, where as most third party apps may or may not have access to the WiFi connectivity.

I raised an issue about this with the service provider after the call with the RIM guys and told them that the phone was completely owned by me (rather my girlfriend) and that the WiFi was also mine and they had no right to restrict access. It has a lot to do with the BIS and their service books. Weird issue, but for some reason, i feel cheated.

Cheers!
    02-07-10 11:28 PM
    Sorry but I do not think you need BIS for WiFi to work...
    Could be a config problem or even a missing service book, but not the need for BIS...
    02-08-10 06:59 AM
    WiFi symbol only turns white if you have BIS services available over WiFi. If it stays grey and you see that you are connected to the local router then you can still use WiFi via Hotspot Browser.
    02-08-10 07:33 AM
    I can tell you from my experience that Ive had my BIS disabled and could not get my wifi working even in hotspot browser mode. Once BIS was enabled everything was working again
    Last edited by stevcha; 02-08-10 at 02:33 PM.
    02-08-10 02:27 PM
    Try running opera mini with Wifi enabled in the settings (the opera mini settings).

If it works, then you obviously don't need BIS in order to use data over wifi.
    02-08-10 02:33 PM
    Try running opera mini with Wifi enabled in the settings (the opera mini settings).

If it works, then you obviously don't need BIS in order to use data over wifi.
    Just curious where in the Opera Mini settings can you change it to wifi? I looked through my settings for Mini 5 Beta 2 and dont see anything.
    02-08-10 03:04 PM
    Don't remember for OM5 because I don't use the 5 beta, but for 4.2 its just in the settings

02-08-10 03:17 PM
    I am having the same problems with my 8520 not turning Bright white but before i unlocked it it was working now its not need help
    11-01-10 05:18 PM
    Hey guys!

Well, after reading some of your replies here I was a bit confused.
    I had a BB awhile ago, and the wifi icon would turn grey, and then bright white. The internet network would have a green V thing.

But it had to go to repair, and the new one connects to wifi but the icon is grey and the internet network wont have a green V, but instead, a white -.

Most of my friends are kinda devided, ones have the icon white, and the others grey...

Is this a really BIS issue? I had it before but I havent activated it yet...

Well,
    thanks in advance

x
    12-22-10 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD