This is really strange. For the first few weeks or so, my Bold would play AMAZING quality videos on Youtube when I had a wifi connection. By amazing, I mean better than the "HQ" quality we can choose with a 3G connection. That quality is pretty good, but it was clearly improved when I had a wifi connection. Over the last few days or so, this hasn't been the case. I can't get Youtube videos to play at any better quality than the HQ 3G versions. I've tried everything from changing browser identifications, to sitting right next to my router. No matter how sweet my connection is, I can't get that super-sharp quality I had for a few weeks. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 02:46 AM
    Youtube doesn't adjust quality based on the connection speed.

06-28-10 02:55 AM
    [QUOTE=papped;5290754]Youtube doesn't adjust quality based on the connection speed.

Something did because there was a clear difference.

06-28-10 02:58 AM
    I don't get the HD/HQ videos anymore even with the browser set as HotSpot (Wifi).. maybe YouTube pulled the plug? At least temporarily... who knows?
    06-28-10 03:29 AM
    That's my guess...maybe Youtube is doing something with their servers? This sucks...the audio/video was SO much better.

06-28-10 04:11 AM
    Did you run the youtube optimizer for mobile devices?
    06-28-10 08:46 AM
    I did. It didn't change anything.

06-28-10 02:01 PM
    haved you pulled the battery recently?
    06-28-10 03:16 PM
    That was the first thing I tried, and then I cleared the cache as well. No dice. I'm totally baffled. It's not like my wifi is weak either...my web browsing is extremely quick.

06-28-10 05:32 PM
    ...I can't get Youtube videos to play at any better quality than the HQ 3G versions. I've tried everything from changing browser identifications, to sitting right next to my router. No matter how sweet my connection is, I can't get that super-sharp quality I had for a few weeks.
    I've never had video quality that wasn't worth complaining about. I'd like to know how your device could view anything better than the 'usual' pixilated, jerky video we're all used to.
    06-28-10 07:21 PM
    I have no idea, but the 9650 does have more to work with than most blackberries. (OpenGL for example). It was a night and day difference - there is no chance that I was "seeing things". It reminded me of when I had an iphone for a year, and the insane difference in quality between wifi and edge. I had this quality for about two weeks, but something has changed since.

06-28-10 08:48 PM
    I dunno, HQ videos basically look like non-streaming quality to me on 3g. Wifi shouldn't have anything to do with it.
    06-28-10 08:57 PM
    I promise I have seen a higher quality. There are 3 levels of quality - 3G "low", 3G "high", and wifi quality. No doubt in my mind.

06-28-10 09:26 PM
    Did you run the youtube optimizer for mobile devices?

How does one do this?
    06-29-10 08:07 AM
    Visit YouTube mobile. Go to Help at the bottom of page. Optimization is #13 in the FAQ.
    06-29-10 10:25 AM
    I don't think it does much. I even lied and clicked "yes" for all those questions and it changed nothing.

06-29-10 08:24 PM
    Looks like I'm not alone...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/yout...80/index3.html

06-29-10 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD