I just bought the 9700 and my phone says wifi all the time at the top. I have set up my home wifi on my phone with the password, but how do I know that is what it is on? I don't want to go over my 200 mg on my data plan? should it say "wifi +the name of my wifi" thanks
    01-03-11 09:29 PM
    Manage Connections > Wifi > Off if you don't want it on.
    01-03-11 09:44 PM
    The WiFi SSID on the home screen is theme dependent. If your carrier supports UMA, you can go to Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options and set Connection Preference to WiFi Preferred. Additionally, while in Network Connections, press menu and select status to see exactly how your device is connected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 10:58 PM
    Also, the network name can be anything you want it to, go to WiFi options -> Saved WiFi Profiles and change the name of the profile you want. This doesn't affect the SSID.

01-04-11 12:41 AM
    I think the OP needs to read crackberry 101.

01-04-11 01:42 AM
    RootBrian- where would I find crackberry 101? My question is how do I know I'm using the wifi and not the 3g as I don't want to go over my 200 mg data plan. Thanks.
    01-04-11 10:12 AM
    I believe if the wifi is on, the device will default to that instead of the network, to save on data usage.
    01-04-11 11:02 AM
    I believe if the wifi is on, the device will default to that instead of the network, to save on data usage.
    You're correct. Granted, I don't do anything other than email, messaging, and browsing, but my billing cycle ends tomorrow and I'm at 46.8mb. My last BB didn't have WiFi and it averaged ~68mb.

01-04-11 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD