Hi new to blackberry and crackberry.

I have a simple question, don't know if it belongs in this forum or not, but i have the storm2 so i thought i post here, and it was extremely frustrating trying to search for the answer using existing posts and threads.

All i want to know is if, when i have wifi enabled and have an active connection to wifi and at the same time have my 3G mobile network on, there is a way to be certain that my data usage via website usage, BBM, etc is going through my wifi connection and not my mobile network.

Basically, I just want to make sure that there isn't any special setting i need to apply or else the data usage bypasses wifi and goes through my mobile network and charges me an arm and a leg for data usage i could have got for free.

thanks
    11-03-09 10:35 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry ! if your wifi icon is white then you are using it to its full, if its grey then you are not .
    11-03-09 10:37 PM
    What data plan do you have that's not unlimited?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 10:40 PM
    thank you, I also have a second part to this question i just remembered...is there a setting so my blackberry automatically connects to an open wifi if there is one within range
    11-03-09 10:43 PM
    Verizon Select plan $1.99/MB
    11-03-09 10:44 PM
    thank you, I also have a second part to this question i just remembered...is there a setting so my blackberry automatically connects to an open wifi if there is one within range
    not that I know of, but I think there is an App that does that. It turns the WiFi or Radio on or off when in range.
    11-03-09 10:45 PM
    Kind of a piggy back question but how do I use wifi over 3G?

11-03-09 10:47 PM
    What data plan do you have that's not unlimited?

I think i'm being dumb but i have no idea about the blackberry email package i'm new to this stuff.

I have Verizon select 59.99/mo and it says 1.99/MB (or per data package) for data usage charges.

I also pay the 29.99/mo blackberry email package fee. I'm looking in the magazine verizon gave me about all the plans, and where it describes Email and web for Blackberry plans, it says nothing about data usage being covered...so i assumed i would get charged for it...i know this is something i should probably talk to verizon about but i'm sure that someone else out there has the same plan as me
    11-03-09 11:19 PM
    I have the same plan and just got a BlackBerry as well and they told me that the plan includes unlimited data usage. However I haven't gotten the first bill as of yet so I can't confirm it.

11-03-09 11:45 PM
    no its a great question... especially when you have a vested interest in faster download speed
    11-04-09 01:01 AM
    I think i'm being dumb but i have no idea about the blackberry email package i'm new to this stuff.

I have Verizon select 59.99/mo and it says 1.99/MB (or per data package) for data usage charges.

I also pay the 29.99/mo blackberry email package fee. I'm looking in the magazine verizon gave me about all the plans, and where it describes Email and web for Blackberry plans, it says nothing about data usage being covered...so i assumed i would get charged for it...i know this is something i should probably talk to verizon about but i'm sure that someone else out there has the same plan as me
    The 29.99/mo web and email for blackberry includes unlimited data. The reason Verizon doesn't make this fact more obvious is because they want more money. See, verizon has two plans that give you unlimited data for blackberry: the 29.99/mo web and email for blackberry, and the 49.99/mo Blackberry solution. Both plans do the same thing. The only difference, 49.99 blackberry solution is for BES and regular customers, whereas 29.99 web and email is only for regular users and not BES. Obviously, I cannot be positive that this is the reason Verizon doesn't make it more obvious, but it seems that way to me. What do you guys think?

fyi, BES= Blackberry Enterprise Service, for business customers that use their blackberry from work.
    11-04-09 08:44 PM
    The 29.99/mo web and email for blackberry includes unlimited data. The reason Verizon doesn't make this fact more obvious is because they want more money. See, verizon has two plans that give you unlimited data for blackberry: the 29.99/mo web and email for blackberry, and the 49.99/mo Blackberry solution. Both plans do the same thing. The only difference, 49.99 blackberry solution is for BES and regular customers, whereas 29.99 web and email is only for regular users and not BES. Obviously, I cannot be positive that this is the reason Verizon doesn't make it more obvious, but it seems that way to me. What do you guys think?

fyi, BES= Blackberry Enterprise Service, for business customers that use their blackberry from work.
    There is a 24.99 plan that is outdated as well that only gives you 10MB of data usage. For the extra $5 why not get unlimited and know that you are not going to go over 10MB (which is easy to do today).

To the OP your 29.99 that you are paying does include unlimited data. The 1.99 per MB only applies to the BREW handsets(dumbphones).
    11-04-09 08:49 PM
    There is a 24.99 plan that is outdated as well that only gives you 10MB of data usage. For the extra $5 why not get unlimited and know that you are not going to go over 10MB (which is easy to do today).

To the OP your 29.99 that you are paying does include unlimited data. The 1.99 per MB only applies to the BREW handsets(dumbphones).
    that's a relief and a half then, thank you.

I also ran into another problem/issue with the two conflicting wifi and 3G network being on at the same time...

When I am on the Umass campus and try to access the internet from my blackberry I need to be prompted (by a website) to input my student ID information. It isn't a "hotspot" but the blackberry thinks it is, attempts to connect as that, and I get an error. This is where it gets kind of tricky and complicated....

The only way to login to use the wifi is to attempt to use the browser...when that happens, Umass redirects me to the login page and after I log in I am free to browse the internet.

Since I also have my 3G network enabled, when I click the browser to redirect (and since technically I'm not yet fully connected to the wifi umass network) the 3G network kicks in and I can access full internet.

In order to get to the login page successfully I need to deactivate my 3G network and allow the redirect page to load, then reactivate my 3G network.

Is there anyway around this...it's not a big deal but i don't know if anyone else was having this minor inconvenience as well and figured out a way to make the redirect page pop up without first shutting the 3G network down

thanks

EDIT: I have NO idea why Verizon wouldn't make it clear that Unlimited data was covered in my plan...maybe he thought it was obvious that for paying $30/month I'd better be getting unlimited data...
    Last edited by rossotwotwotwo; 11-04-09 at 09:51 PM.
    11-04-09 09:48 PM

EDIT: I have NO idea why Verizon wouldn't make it clear that Unlimited data was covered in my plan...maybe he thought it was obvious that for paying $30/month I'd better be getting unlimited data...
    Hence why I asked what data plan you were using that was NOT unlimited.

Welcome to Crackberry Rosso.
    11-05-09 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD