The issue with WIFI, as stated many times here, is that it is greyed out, and you cannot talk and use data/emails at the same time, while connected to both VZW and wifi. Also, when I turn VZW network off, and just connected to wifi, I can browse, but I can't use any other data, including emails and any IM's including google talk and blackberry messenger.

As stated before, it works fine on BES, but not on BIS. I'm not sure if it has been confirmed that it is a RIM issue or a VZW issue. If it is a VZW issue, I'm not sure if it was intentional or unintentional. However, after I changed to the BES plan online and it resent service books to me, and instantly, my "greyed-out" wifi symbol turned white. I was able to browse and talk at the same time. I even turned the VZW network off. I was able to browse, use google talk, blackberry messenger, email, etc. The only thing I couldn't do with the VZW network off, and wifi on, is make/receive calls( obviously), sms, or mms. I'm including screen shots.

Wifi greyed out and on the BIS plan:

Wifi White and on BES plan:

Wifi White and on BES plan with VZW Network turned off:

Wifi White and on BES plan with VZW Network turned off and connected to Google Talk:

Wifi White and on BES plan with VZW Network turned off and Speed Test:
    10-30-09 12:18 AM
    I know RIM is working on it and Verizon is passing everyone off to RIM. So I would say it is probably RIM's baby.
    10-30-09 12:21 AM
    I sure hope it is an RIM problem, because if VZW is doing this on purpose I will be leaving them and taking the $300+ dollars a month I pay them.
    10-30-09 12:28 AM
    No they cant be seriously. In Kevins review of the 8530 the lowest end phone verzion will have, he has a pic of on a call and emails at same time through wifi. There is no way they allow 8530 to have full wifi but storm2 their flagship blackberry have crippled wifi. makes no sense.
    10-30-09 01:06 AM
    No they cant be seriously. In Kevins review of the 8530 the lowest end phone verzion will have, he has a pic of on a call and emails at same time through wifi. There is no way they allow 8530 to have full wifi but storm2 their flagship blackberry have crippled wifi. makes no sense.
    they are working on the issue. Im sure it will be fixed rather quickly. They wont cripple the wifi on this device because thats one of the main selling points of it.
    10-30-09 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD