Hi,

I have searched far and wide for the answer to this question, and have had no success. Forgive me if my search terms have been too poor to yield a result.

Looking at getting a BB with WiFi, but need to know if I would be able to connect to my wireless LAN at home and transfer files to the BB. Keeping in mind the potential to connect to any wireless network to then transfer those files to others.

I really want to stick a 8gb Mini SD Card in it and be able to use it like a wireless drive where ever I go. Just the ability to browse file shares on a LAN and copy files back and forth.

Internet browsing and calls over the wifi hold no interest to me, and blue tooth isn't pervasive enough to rely on. Plus I believe I'd need software installed on the host machine to connect to it.

-MC
    Last edited by mastercyl; 02-07-08 at 12:23 AM.
    02-06-08 10:19 PM
    I don't think this is possible. I just tried browsing to my BB lan ip and it didn't connect.
    02-06-08 11:36 PM
    Looking at getting a BB with WiFi, but need to know if I would be able to connect to my wireless LAN at home and transfer files to the BB. ...

I really want to stick a 8gb Mini SD Card in it and be able to use it like a wireless drive where ever I go. ....

-MC
    No problem making the wifi connection to the LAN through the browser, but there is no native file manager with the ability to browse the SD card or LAN.

A mini FTP client would be wonderful.
    02-07-08 05:02 PM
    Thats a huge shame, would such an application be something an enterprising software engineer would be able to knock up?

Work will be providing the BB and currently the WiFi models aren't on the list of approved devices, I don't want to have to fight for the right to get a WiFi model, if the feature is actually impossible to implement.
    02-07-08 05:49 PM
    I want to do this too, and happily write software (although generally C++ vs. Java). I am still having problems just getting the thing to stay connected to my home WiFi, since AT&T wants to make it difficult to avoid people just using it as another Internet device and by-passing their service.

That is a shame too, because really I still want their BIS service and to use EDGE when I'm not home.

<sigh> Maybe in the future.

Patrick
    02-29-08 09:57 AM
    Check with Idokorru......oops, now Rove Mobile

Rove Mobile

Or more specifically this application (that should run via WiFi)
    Mobile File Manager
    02-29-08 11:03 AM
    Nice, but I got distracted by their PCmobilzr product. My home desktop in the palm of my hand.

PCMobilizr - Access your PC from anywhere

Downloading and installing went fine, but it failed to register without BIS.
    03-01-08 04:11 PM
    There is an application called "Wifi File Transfer for Blackberry" that does this kind of thing...
    06-02-09 06:53 AM
    I found a link to the app above. Looks pretty neat, but they don't offer a free trial, has anyone made the leap and purchased it yet?

Wifi File Transfer for Blackberry - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software
    06-02-09 09:15 AM
    there is a free Lite version available know. no uploading to device but you can browse and download to PC. works well
    06-06-09 09:19 PM
    there is a free Lite version available know. no uploading to device but you can browse and download to PC. works well
    I ended up purchasing it Great little application. Are you the developer?

What would be a really nice feature would be able to download and browse files on the PC from the BB, basically the opposite of what it is now.
    06-06-09 09:32 PM
    Any action on this sort of stuff for the 8900?
    06-10-09 09:19 PM
    This is now the name of an app available and featured on Crackberry. That does pretty much exactly what I've been trying to figure out. I knew this was possible, naysayers.

This app will allow ANYTHING with an internet connection to connect to the BB and upload and download files. My ipod touch was able to download songs from the BB and visa versa.
    Last edited by Gonuts31; 06-23-09 at 03:15 PM. Reason: figured out some new stuff
    06-23-09 03:11 PM
    "This is now the name of an app available and featured on Crackberry."

What is the name of the app?
    03-27-10 01:35 PM
    I used to use the WiFi File Transfer app all the time, until it stopped working. I have tried everything - it only works sporadically, like the first time after I haven't tried in forever...then five minutes later, it won't work anymore. Even the app developer was stumped. I'm using Windows 7 Home Edition and have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Has anyone else had this same problem?? This is driving me crazy!!
    10-14-11 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD