Hiya Guys

another question; I have registered my Curve 8900 to my home Wifi but I also use BB data plan to access the internet, how do I know if I am surfing using my wifi or the BB data plan? which is better, wifi or BB data plan?

any answers?

thank you
    10-06-09 07:24 AM
    Depending on the browser you can select Wi-Fi or no Wi-Fi.

As for other applications it depends. You can go to the connection settings and select "Wi-Fi preferred" and that will probably use it.

Or just go to the connection manager and turn data off when you are in a hot spot, you are guaranteed to use Wi-Fi then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 08:32 AM
    WiFi is WAY faster than the slow Dial-Up speed of EDGE, the mobile technology used by our 8900's.
    I use WiFi whenever possible.
    You'll be able to tell when using WiFi when the WiFi logo in the upper right goes white, and the word EDGE is replaced by UMA.
    10-06-09 08:55 AM
    Thanks Guys,

I never seen the letters 'UMA'. I currently have my settings as ' wifi preferred' but is the only way I can ensure am on wifi to manually [I][turn off/I] data?, does this mean 'push emails' won't come through when data is turned off?
    surely the handset should have a way it alternates by switching automatically to wifi or any other preferred option.

Am beginning to feel I have never actually used wifi, even though the logo is on the screen chewing up battery life.

Cheers
    10-06-09 09:09 AM
    No, you don't need to turn off the mobile radio to use WiFi, it will switch to WiFi automatically when you're in range. Radius was just saying if you want to make sure you're using WiFi instead of your data plan, turn off the mobility radio, and you can guarantee that you're using WiFi.
    And ALL your apps and services will work over WiFi, just like the do OTA, including push e-mail.
    If your WiFi logo white or grey?
    White means its connected. Grey means it's turned on but not connected.

You do know that you need to set your BlackBerry up to log on to your WiFi network, just like a computer, right?
    Last edited by smnc; 10-06-09 at 09:59 AM.
    10-06-09 09:55 AM
    Thank you guys

Perfect answer, yes I have set up wifi just like the laptop and yes I will watch out for the difference in colour of the wifi logo.

I need to investigate if I get a faster connection using wifi than edge,
    10-06-09 04:34 PM
    10-06-09 04:54 PM
    way faster than EDGE...you can also access websites on UMA-0)))) that are too complex for the EDGE network.
    have fun...also the 8900 access' more routers than other curves....im Wifi all the time...
    10-06-09 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD