I would like to kno, if I buy a Blackberry curve 8900 from T-mobile.. do i need to pay for the internet service... or can i just use the Wifi on the device without paying for the data plan?
    Last edited by dsayhall; 08-10-09 at 08:43 PM.
    08-10-09 08:39 PM
    A lot of the services won't work. BB browser, RIM chat apps, any push apps, OTA installs, email, etc.

You have to use Opera Mini or another 3rd party browser.
    08-10-09 08:42 PM
    If you pay full retail for the phone you don't have to get the data plan. But if the phone is subsidized and you sign a two year contract, then you are required to get the data plan for the whole two years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search.php

use that great tool and you find your answer easily welcome
    Now when you buy a smart phone from tmo you have to buy a email plan which is 9.99 a month or the unlimited plus 400text for 24.99 I would go for the 9.99 and us opera mini. I have the 19.99 which (month does not offer any more you can try with CL and see if you can get a better deal on the datat package.

08-10-09 09:16 PM
    If you buy it for retail price then you don't but if you do an upgrade or sign a contract then most likely you'll have to have the data plan. Its just recently that they require you to have the data plan.
    08-11-09 12:05 AM
    If you pay full retail for the phone you don't have to get the data plan. But if the phone is subsidized and you sign a two year contract, then you are required to get the data plan for the whole two years.

Not if u have T-Mobile. But I would suggest getting the data plan. That is after all why u get a bb... right? You won't receive e-mails over wifi either. Try the plan if ur on T-mobile, if u feel u really don't need a data plan then I'm sorry to say that u don't really need a blackberry... Hmmm... it seems that now u DO need a data plan for T-Mobile. Well, I stand corrected.
    08-11-09 12:13 AM
    Not if u have T-Mobile. But I would suggest getting the data plan. That is after all why u get a bb... right? You won't receive e-mails over wifi either. Try the plan if ur on T-mobile, if u feel u really don't need a data plan then I'm sorry to say that u don't really need a blackberry... Hmmm... it seems that now u DO need a data plan for T-Mobile. Well, I stand corrected.

Unlimited HotSpot Calling
    Make and receive unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi both at home or at any U.S. T-Mobile HotSpot location anytime day or night.
    More details � 9.99 T-Mobile.

It's still there you just have to click on see all services, since I own a flip and mainly use it for an MP3 player and phone I don't need a data plan. But the unlimited WiFi to me is a must because I like getting my news/email during the morning ritual. Or take for instance dead spots in the house that's where uma is a must for making calls. 8220 streams and plays video movies pretty darn good in my book. I just crop the video content to fit the length of the screen and you can read text in the movies. I converted a VHS to my Handycam Hi 8 transfered that to Movie Maker and used Roxio it crops it perfect... and the end result? ta-da.... a craptacular compressed instant digital movie.

Some people live in a two bar area and need the WiFi to get out without getting drops, and are dependent on the wireless solely. For me it was a no brainer, Costco family plan 4th phone @ 94.00 montly operating cost 20.00. unlimited WiFi 700 min. divided by 4 people
    08-11-09 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD