OS 7.1 touts WiFi calls. I have the 9930, which is connected to WiFi whenever I'm home, however, I know that my calls are still being routed over Verizon's 3G network because the reception is crappy in my basement. What do I need to do to get my calls to route over WiFi when I'm connected to a hotspot? I get a good signal throughout my house & would really appreciate the boost in call quality!

Thanks a million, addicts!
    02-25-12 12:20 PM
    the 9900 on TMO supports UMA which is a GSM protocol for wifi calling.

You are essentially looking for a (true) voip app, and i have yet to find one that works... you need a sip client and a voip provider..

In my enthusiasm i downloaded mobileVOIP onto my 9930 and signed up for one of their recommended providers... It doesnt work and bricks the phone.

This doesnt mean that none of them work, but dont try that one!.
    Last edited by mystic205; 02-27-12 at 01:17 PM.
    02-26-12 11:14 AM
    9930 VOIP update on mobileVoIP

I have been pleasantly surprised by the response of the developer and so have carried out more structured testing of the VOIP app "mobileVOIP" on the 9930 and determined that while it does not fully and completely work however it is not totally broken and does work within some (albeit) severe limitations.

1. If you decide to use this app, before you begin, make sure you install some sort of re-boot app (i dl'd "restart me"), as returning the phone to cellular use requires a re-boot with the current version (v2.1)

2. Suggest that before you download mobilevoip you get an account with one of the selected providers.. pop $10 on with a credit card (i got a call from the CC company to verify but ymmv)

3. If you wish to use VOIP over wifi, turn cellular data off and turn wifi on BEFORE launching MobileVOIP

4. Start mobilevoip app and login to your voip account. If you did not execute 3. above then you will use 3G data for your voip call.

5. You MUST dial # using full international prefix for all calls ie +1 555 555 5555

6. Use regular phone buttons to start and terminate calls.

7. You should be able to make multiple calls.

Here it gets tricky read carefully .......

* After making voip calls you must re-boot to restore cell phone operation
    * If you make a dialing error and hit send you must re-boot to restore cell phone operation

In essence, once you have so much as ATTEMPTED to make any voip call, you need to re-boot the 9930 to restore cell phone operation before you attempt any further cell or voip call.

The developer is aware of the issues and is working on them..

This app is not ready for prime time, but given where we have come from (ie zero zilch nada voip support) i am excited at the prospect of voip/wifi for international cheapskate travelling..ET may, finally phone home.
    Last edited by mystic205; 02-27-12 at 01:48 PM.
    02-27-12 01:46 PM
    Update for MobileVoIP app version 2.5

This now works... You can make VoIP calls over wifi (currently not 3G data) using the 9930, so this is a real and working Skype alternative for calling overseas to family member, and also for calling from overseas while traveling.

You do need to sign up for a VoIP service but charges aree minimal.. $0.03 to connect and less than $0.01 per minute. You can find the MobileVOIP app in the app world, but note that version 2.5 may not yet be available...it's pending approval
    allar25 likes this.
    03-25-12 10:43 AM
    Can the dev make v2.5 available off of the app world?

Thanks for your earlier feedback on the app.
    04-03-12 12:51 PM
    04-03-12 01:09 PM
    petition to viber?
    04-03-12 01:32 PM
    Update for MobileVoIP app version 2.5

This now works... You can make VoIP calls over wifi (currently not 3G data) using the 9930, so this is a real and working Skype alternative for calling overseas to family member, and also for calling from overseas while traveling.

You do need to sign up for a VoIP service but charges aree minimal.. $0.03 to connect and less than $0.01 per minute. You can find the MobileVOIP app in the app world, but note that version 2.5 may not yet be available...it's pending approval
    Do you still need to follow all those steps with the new version? Can you receive calls? Many thanks.
    04-04-12 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD