Is it possible to make and receive calls over WiFi with my BB 8320?
    Thanks.
    07-17-09 08:51 AM
    Yes. If your BB shows UMA with a radio tower icon then you are using Wifi for calling.
    07-17-09 08:54 AM
    Is this feature restricted for certain providers?
    Or is this feature universal for all 8320's?

How can I test if I can make WiFi calls. I'm connected to WiFI currently and it still says "edge" beside my bars.

Is it possible to get a Skype or VOIP app that uses WiFi from my BB to make calls to other Skype or VOIP users?
    07-17-09 08:57 AM
    It definitely works on TMO, and I think it should work with any provider as long as you have access to WiFi and Wifi works. Check out this guide to see if there's more info.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

Another thing you can try is turning off the wireless network in manage connections. I have seen posts about EDGE being strong enough to crowd out UMA.

Also, what OS are you using? The current .161 is the first OS that reliably gives me (and many others) WiFi and UMA.
    07-17-09 09:05 AM
    Your carrier has to support UMA calling. If you dont see uma as your service status then you arent making a wifi call. I looked at the fido page and it looks like they sell 8100 pearls...which arent wifi enabled. Maybe someone else will be able to help your farther with that. Some people use iSkoot for skype get it here � iSkoot for Skype
    07-17-09 09:07 AM
    I have the latest OS. I followed your link.

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.
    When I goto that section, I do not seem to have the Connection Preference option.
    07-17-09 09:15 AM
    Your carrier has to support UMA calling. If you dont see uma as your service status then you arent making a wifi call. I looked at the fido page and it looks like they sell 8100 pearls...which arent wifi enabled. Maybe someone else will be able to help your farther with that. Some people use iSkoot for skype get it here � iSkoot for Skype
    Does iSkoot work over WiFi?
    07-17-09 09:20 AM
    Alright I just did a little bit of research.

My current provider does support UMA but only with the Nokia 6103.. its called Fido UNO.

The next closest thing available is Rogers. They only have 7 phones that support this UMA service called "Talkspot". The 8320 is one of them.

07-17-09 09:38 AM
    Rogers does do uma, correct. So either you have to move to their network or it wont work.
    07-17-09 10:05 AM
    Does iSkoot work over WiFi?

I have no idea. I do not use it. Sorry, others that do use it will beable to help you more.
    07-17-09 10:08 AM
    I have experimented with iSkoot client for Skype. It does not use Wifi if the carrier does not support UMA.

07-17-09 01:55 PM
    Alright thanks. I guess there is no current option for wifi calling ob blackberries these days. I'm hoping that a bb skype app would come out that supports wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD