I had an idea. I have watched speed comparisons between 3G and wifi speeds showing how slow the BB is over wifi. I have heard theories of why this is ranging from the BB is not powerful enought to load pages at wifi speeds, to the BB is not making full use of the wifi connection because of its radio handling code (this explination seems much more reasonable). A compairson that I have not seen is loading a page that has been saved to the message list vs wifi or 3G. Loading a page from the message list should be just about as fast as the BB can load a page.

In theory, once RIM fixes the wifi radio issues, the speed of the BB browser on wifi should be about as fast as loading a page from the message list. I don't think the speed problems come from the speed of the BB or the speed of the browser, javascript issues not considered. Pages load fairly quickly from the message list on my 8830 with the older OS 4.5 browser.

What do you think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 12:56 PM
    My Wifi Browser speed is much faster then my EDGE Browser speed, a factor of two, easy.

I may not be clear on your question, but all Browsers use a cache to speed up the page viewing time. The cache elements are uploaded once, then reused as available in page views.

The only way to get a fair test is to force a page refresh. That will give you a fair comparison.
    10-03-09 01:05 PM
    I had an idea. I have watched speed comparisons between 3G and wifi speeds showing how slow the BB is over wifi. I have heard theories of why this is ranging from the BB is not powerful enought to load pages at wifi speeds, to the BB is not making full use of the wifi connection because of its radio handling code (this explination seems much more reasonable). A compairson that I have not seen is loading a page that has been saved to the message list vs wifi or 3G. Loading a page from the message list should be just about as fast as the BB can load a page.

In theory, once RIM fixes the wifi radio issues, the speed of the BB browser on wifi should be about as fast as loading a page from the message list. I don't think the speed problems come from the speed of the BB or the speed of the browser, javascript issues not considered. Pages load fairly quickly from the message list on my 8830 with the older OS 4.5 browser.

What do you think?

Strange. My Wi-Fi browsing speed is much faster than 3G.

10-03-09 01:09 PM
    Strange. My Wi-Fi browsing speed is much faster than 3G.

In the recent test that salo did, the speed was about the same. That is what I am going off of. I have somewhat overlooked the fact that others may be seeing different results.

10-03-09 01:28 PM
    My Wifi Browser speed is much faster then my EDGE Browser speed, a factor of two, easy.

I may not be clear on your question, but all Browsers use a cache to speed up the page viewing time. The cache elements are uploaded once, then reused as available in page views.

The only way to get a fair test is to force a page refresh. That will give you a fair comparison.
    I am not really interested in a fair test, I am interested in a benchmark. I want to know how fast it can be, so we have something to compare with. I also want to be able to narrow down the speed bottle neck. Is it the BB browser? Is it the radio code? Is it the wifi connection? Is it the remote server? Is it the speed/power of the device?

I know that RIM basically confirmed that wifi radio handling was a bottle neck, but I kind of want to prove that and possibly discover other bottlenecks. And have something to compare to so we can monitor RIMs progress in fixing the issues as new OS versions are released.

10-03-09 01:53 PM
    The wifi should be fast if you have a fast wifi connection. If you set the browser to hotspot the speeds increases. I noticed that my download speeds doubled and in some cases quadrupled when I used the hotspot browser over the regular Internet browser.
    10-03-09 05:04 PM
    wifi should definitely be faster than 3G. The Telstra network does have 21mbps HSDPA speeds in certain areas and damn that's fast, even compared to wifi.

10-03-09 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD