Ok so long story short...im going to (wanted to) switch serves from vz to tmob and i was so stoked to get the 8320 since it had wifi and i could go online using just that with no data plan...its one of the reason i wanted it...but i went into the tmob store today just to look around and a rep came up to me and was just talking about how he liked the curve...blah blah blah upselling deal...but than he said that tmob is going to put a block soon on the wifi since people were using it to web surf without their data plans....!!!!

Idk what you guys and gals think...but i hope he was bsing because it was one of the reasons why i wanted it....i hope its a lie...
    05-18-08 11:07 AM
    First, I your sales rep actually knew what was going on, he would be bound by the terms of a Non Disclosure Agreement. Breaking that agreement would be grounds for termination.

Pretty safe to say, he was speculating and slanting his sales pitch to make the sale.
    05-18-08 12:01 PM
    I hope so.....
    05-18-08 02:56 PM
    A lot of sales reps will say that so you will get their data plan and they make their commision. Its a bad way of doing business. I would just ignore the rep.
    05-18-08 03:01 PM
    So they can make that MONEY

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 03:05 PM
    not sure how they would block it unless they pushed an OTA update or firmware up date to disable the wifi.

Not sure if you have heard, but t-mobile lost their hotspots in starbucks to AT&T. Im not sure how many more hotspots t-mobile has lost, but that could also be another reason they are trying to push the data plan.

James
    05-18-08 03:25 PM
    A lot of sales reps will say that so you will get their data plan and they make their commision. Its a bad way of doing business. I would just ignore the rep.
    yeppers thats what I was exactly thinking as he said this but I just wanted to make sure no one else has heard this....blahh I hate not knowing what is true and what is not when you buy anything...It makes me laugh though if they guy was bsing because that would mean tmob or at least him know that basically everyone uses the wifi to go online with out their data....o well...I'm going to be getting the 8320 in a couple of days anyways so i guess ill find out myself eventually right...well thanks for the replies

jake
    05-18-08 05:21 PM
    It's believable... Like jb1709 stated, losing Starbucks was a big one and there are quite a few people who use the phone w/o a data plan, just using WiFi.

The only question is, how would they implement that?
    05-18-08 05:32 PM
    Idk thats what I was thinking about while driving home...the rep was serious like i didnt get a "i have to say this" vibe and i guess i dont beleive it but i didnt even ask him about wifi he just randomly stated it as i was looking at...his exact words were "its a shame that their trying to put a block on wifi...im not sure if they will ever be able to fully but thats what i've heard"....
    05-18-08 06:04 PM
    Idk thats what I was thinking about while driving home...the rep was serious like i didnt get a "i have to say this" vibe and i guess i dont beleive it but i didnt even ask him about wifi he just randomly stated it as i was looking at...his exact words were "its a shame that their trying to put a block on wifi...im not sure if they will ever be able to fully but thats what i've heard"....

Enjoy the new Curve! You'll love it!
    05-18-08 07:49 PM
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Never trust a cell phone salesperson.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 08:04 PM
    Sometimes it's fun to mess with the salesmen. I sometimes go to cell stores and car dealerships and ask questions I know the answers to to see if they know what they're talking about. Sometimes they do know a lot, but quite often you can tell they're just making stuff up to make a sale and boost the amount you spend. This is definitely one of those cases. I don't even see how they would block wifi, especially since one of the bigger selling points for t-mobile is their hotspot-at-home feature. If they blocked wifi, it would prevent this service from being used. I could be wrong, but I would imagine the wifi feature would be more of a hardware issue anyway. I say if you don't want a data plan, don't get it and keep using wifi! If this somehow is true, get the data plan later, but I wouldn't fret it.
    05-18-08 08:57 PM
    That would suck big time! I don't see it happening, but I would be raising one **** of a complaint if it did happen.
    05-18-08 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD