Yesterday, I was reading somewhere on this site that wifi on the 8900 seems to prefer the 2G network for data connections versus wifi in order to preserve battery life. I can't seem for the life of me to find the post or blog that was discussing the issue.

I was also applying some tweaks suggested here to my phone: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...rrerid=1423150. I was able to apply most of the tweaks suggested by the guide, however, this guide seems to apply to "tested" bb models other than the 8900 (it says wifi enabled models, but doesn't list the 8900 as a "tested" model). I was unable to apply a connection preference in the connection manager (Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected). It would seem to me that the inability to set a connection preference in the 'Mobile Network Options' would support what I read here yesterday that the 8900 will switch over to 2G even when you are connected to a wifi network.

I am bringing this up because when I am connected to WiFi at home it will be speedy at times, zipping right through webpages, and then all of a suddenb it will slow down to typical 2G speeds. I have verified that I am connected to my home network and that the connection is ok. My question is can anyone confirm the 8900's preference for 2G to save battery life? If so, is there a work-around to override the 8900's preference for 2G? Perhaps, an app that does this?
    08-26-09 05:42 AM
    No there are no algorhithms inherent in the 8900 that cause a cross over to edge to save battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 05:53 AM
    The phone only switches over from WiFi if it feels the signal is degraded or slow enough that switching over to the mobile network to browse will be better/faster.

I don't know about you, but you should take note of your WiFi. Do you wander too far away from your router while at home?

My phone has not once switched over to 3G over my WiFi.
    08-26-09 07:09 AM
    My signal is good throughout my house. When I run the speedtest on my phone I get 2.8m/s - 1.2m/s. So, perhaps, it is in the rendering of the pages.

I did read what I wrote on here. It was contained in the body of one of the blog posts on here. I've looked and looked but I can't find it.

As an aside, I've looked through my manual and the phone but can't find any power save options. Are they there somewhere?
    08-26-09 10:26 AM
    Why don't I see a "Connection Preferences"?

When I select Manage Connections --> Mobile Network Options.

I see two options Data Services (set to ON) and Mobile Network (set to AT&T)

Am I missing out on something?
    08-26-09 10:31 AM
    Why don't I see a "Connection Preferences"?

When I select Manage Connections --> Mobile Network Options.

I see two options Data Services (set to ON) and Mobile Network (set to AT&T)

Am I missing out on something?
    For some 8900 users on AT&T, they do not have those options. For others, the options are there. The inconsistency is very strange and I am not sure yet why that is the case. I can tell you that all the Bold devices with AT&T do not have this option. My speculation is that some shipments on the AT&T 8900s have the eScreen settings like AT&T wants them (to restrict the option) while others slipped by without it.
    08-26-09 11:22 AM
    Yesterday, I was reading somewhere on this site that wifi on the 8900 seems to prefer the 2G network for data connections versus wifi in order to preserve battery life. I can't seem for the life of me to find the post or blog that was discussing the issue.

I was also applying some tweaks suggested here to my phone: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...rrerid=1423150. I was able to apply most of the tweaks suggested by the guide, however, this guide seems to apply to "tested" bb models other than the 8900 (it says wifi enabled models, but doesn't list the 8900 as a "tested" model). I was unable to apply a connection preference in the connection manager (Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected). It would seem to me that the inability to set a connection preference in the 'Mobile Network Options' would support what I read here yesterday that the 8900 will switch over to 2G even when you are connected to a wifi network.

I am bringing this up because when I am connected to WiFi at home it will be speedy at times, zipping right through webpages, and then all of a suddenb it will slow down to typical 2G speeds. I have verified that I am connected to my home network and that the connection is ok. My question is can anyone confirm the 8900's preference for 2G to save battery life? If so, is there a work-around to override the 8900's preference for 2G? Perhaps, an app that does this?
    The "Connection Preference" setting has no effect on browsing. What this setting is used for is to give UMA calling priority over EDGE calling. Since AT&T does not support UMA, this setting doesn't really matter. What does matter is the configuration of your browser.

Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Hotspot (this is for WiFi connections)
    Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Internet (this is for Mobile Network Connections)

Also adjust the setting here as well:

Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Hotspot (this is for WiFi connections)
    Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Internet (this is for Mobile Network Connections)

Once that is setup to how you like (hotspot in your case) then exit out of the settings and save your changes. You can press the "u" button in the Browser to toggle the display of the top information bar in the Browser. The top bar will show you what connection the page is using.

Also, bookmarks store the connection they were saved with. If you are browsing via a WiFi connection and you click a bookmark that was stored using the Mobile Network Connection, then the page will load using that Mobile Network Connection and not the WiFi connection. I'm thinking when you experienced the connection switch, this is what happened?
    08-26-09 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD