This weekend I noticed that certain apps had stopped working with my wifi. Apps like BB Appworld, Pandora, Urban Spoon, Flixster no longer would work properly when wifi was turned on. If I disabled wifi, they would work just fine of 3G. All the other wireless devices in my house are still working okay so I know it's not my wifi signal or anything.

I called BB support and was told that RIM doesn't support wifi and I should just use my 3G. Are they serious? I've about had it with RIM and the Blackberry. I'm going to see what my options are with my wireless service. At the very least I'm hoping to replace the phone with another Bold.
    04-19-10 06:37 AM
    That sounds totally ridiculous.

BTW I think that quote comes from Barry Goldwater rather than Jefferson/
    04-19-10 06:55 AM
    Sounds like an issue with selection of service priority within the applications, and maybe handling of data by your service provider.

Some apps may be designed to use WiFi if it is enabled, but the provider doesn't accept the data by a different channel. Others are programmed to use only one type of service regardless of what is available. Try using Google Maps over WiFi when cellular data is not available
    04-19-10 07:26 AM
    BTW I think that quote comes from Barry Goldwater rather than Jefferson/
    Actually we are both wrong. It was actually said by Gerald Ford.
    Who wrote, “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."? | Answerbag
    04-19-10 08:49 AM
    Sounds like an issue with selection of service priority within the applications, and maybe handling of data by your service provider.

Some apps may be designed to use WiFi if it is enabled, but the provider doesn't accept the data by a different channel. Others are programmed to use only one type of service regardless of what is available. Try using Google Maps over WiFi when cellular data is not available
    Not sure I follow you. All of the apps I mentioned were working fine with wifi until a day or so ago.
    04-19-10 08:53 AM
    I look more like an issue with your router... It's strange to see ALL apps to have the same issue at the same time!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-10 09:02 AM
    It may be an application permision issue. You may have reset some permissions during a battery pull.
    04-19-10 09:12 AM
    Not sure I follow you. All of the apps I mentioned were working fine with wifi until a day or so ago.
    That more or less nails it as a problem between your phone and the server. IOW, routing problem. If there was a general problem at RIM or the application servers I'm sure we would heve heard from other users, so it is probably between your phone and your wifi router, with a slim chance it is at your ISP.

Start with a battery pull to reboot your phone, then re-register your phone (Host Routing Table) and resend service books. If that still doesn't work try rebooting your wifi router.
    04-19-10 09:22 AM
    Actually we are both wrong. It was actually said by Gerald Ford.
    I don't think Ford was smart enough to say that, and it wouldn't be in character. I heard that line years ago, and it would make a lot of sense that Barry Goldwater said it. If you are inclined to look around a little more, I am sure you will find it attributed to Goldwater, the attribution to Ford is almost certainly not correct.

The verbiage I remember was "any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away."

Barry Goldwater - Wikiquote
    Quote Details: Barry Goldwater: A government that is... - The Quotations Page
    Government Quotes
    A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. — Barry Goldwater | #Quotations
    Government Quotes, Quotations, Sayings and Remarks
    ON THE RIGHT "Illegitimi Non Carborundum!": Is It Time To Part Ways?

Anybody can post anything on the internet, so it's still not a hundred percent sure, but this is the most reasonable attribution I've seen.
    Last edited by F0nage; 04-19-10 at 10:25 AM.
    04-19-10 10:18 AM
    this same thing happened to me as well, i dont have a data plan, i just use my wifi when at home or work on my bb8520, and have many apps gmail, facebook, myspace, weather channel, ebay, pandora, and out off no where they just stopped working! i have deleted all apps and tryed re-installing and nothing happens...did the service book thing and nothing! idk what to do!
    04-20-10 06:00 PM
    For some reason I am getting the exact same problems. I cannot connect to my wifi router and when I do it just drops the connection instantly and guess what worked until 2 days ago.
    04-20-10 09:17 PM
    That more or less nails it as a problem between your phone and the server. IOW, routing problem. If there was a general problem at RIM or the application servers I'm sure we would heve heard from other users, so it is probably between your phone and your wifi router, with a slim chance it is at your ISP.

Start with a battery pull to reboot your phone, then re-register your phone (Host Routing Table) and resend service books. If that still doesn't work try rebooting your wifi router.
    At first I thought it was due the OS upgrade I did because the wifi quit right after. Apparently it was just coincidence because even though my other wireless devices still worked fine, there seems to be a problem with my wireless router. I set up a new router and my BB apps are working great again with the wifi running.
    04-21-10 06:25 AM
    Update to my post. I think I figured most of it out. If you have non-supported third party applications that could very well be a problem. I had speedtest on it and it prevented my os from updating. I made a wipe with BBSAK and than I loaded the new OS and my contacts. I my wifi stayed connected for the entire night. I think that sometime it drops when I am using it so that it could reconnect but now at least it works somewhat well.

I hope this helps your situation. I lost so much damn time bugging with the router and the device and it turns out it may have been one of the apps.
    Last edited by alextop30; 04-21-10 at 09:43 AM. Reason: additional material
    04-21-10 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD