The only major problem I see in BlackBerry phones now is not being able to play videos in widescreen. The 720 p * 720 p is a big problem. The black boxes on the top and bottom doesn't make for a enjoyable watching experience. At least there should be an option in the built in video player to play videos in full widescreen. Hopefully BlackBerry would look into this matter and make the future Phones or OS like this.

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Q10
    02-22-15 05:19 AM
    The native video player can do 16:9 or full screen. I pinch to zoom somewhere in between.

Doesn't work with you tube though.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 06:20 AM
    The only major problem I see in BlackBerry phones now is not being able to play videos in widescreen. The 720 p * 720 p is a big problem. The black boxes on the top and bottom doesn't make for a enjoyable watching experience. At least there should be an option in the built in video player to play videos in full widescreen. Hopefully BlackBerry would look into this matter and make the future Phones or OS like this.

What?

Of course they can play videos in widescreen. The "black boxes" are simply the blank areas of the screen not being used when you play a video that has a wider aspect ratio than the screen does. What "option" would they they have to change this? One that magically stretches your phones screen? It has nothing to do with the OS.

Try playing a "widescreen" video on an Ipad and get back to me. Or on earlier model I-Devices.

Or try playing ANY 2.39:1 aspect movie (pretty much all movies shown in theaters) on ANY television or ANY mobile device or ANY computer screen. You will ALWAYS have some black space because there are no screens (other than projection screens in theaters) that have this shape. Even theaters have curtains that they used as masks to cover of "blank parts" of the screen depending on the film they are showing.

Do you remember the basics from 7th grade geometry? Square peg.....round hole......they will never fit together perfectly.
    02-22-15 07:04 AM
    What?

Of course they can play videos in widescreen. The "black boxes" are simply the blank areas of the screen not being used when you play a video that has a wider aspect ratio than the screen does. What "option" would they they have to change this? One that magically stretches your phones screen? It has nothing to do with the OS.

Try playing a "widescreen" video on an Ipad and get back to me. Or on earlier model I-Devices.

Or try playing ANY 2.39:1 aspect movie (pretty much all movies shown in theaters) on ANY television or ANY mobile device or ANY computer screen. You will ALWAYS have some black space because there are no screens (other than projection screens in theaters) that have this shape. Even theaters have curtains that they used as masks to cover of "blank parts" of the screen depending on the film they are showing.

Do you remember the basics from 7th grade geometry? Square peg.....round hole......they will never fit together perfectly.
    Dang, that was a rough response. By the way OP this only occurs in the physical keyboard devices. Z10 and Z30's are all touch.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 12:29 PM
    You can make it work on the keyboard devices if you select the play on feature then select hdmi out. Or if you have miracast select the device, then the black bars will go away on the right and left hand side. You also have to ensure your output is set up for 16:9. Not 4:3.

More complicated than touch devices but it does work when the play on feature is available. Netflix is one that doesn't work, because it's an android port.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    NecroSemen likes this.
    02-25-15 09:51 AM
    My only complaint about the native player is not being able to hide the bottom bar instantly on tap, or even add a forward and back button to it
    02-25-15 09:56 AM
    One of the features of bb10 devices that drew me from iPhone was the standard hdmi connectivity and the way that it worked seamlessly with any flat panel TV. BlackBerry annoyed me by changing to slimport with the passport and requiring me to buy a pricey slimport converter accessory. What's worse is the slimport connection is now unreliable, it flickers on and off constantly and is not stable. On top of that it apparently will require some extra effort to get rid of the bars at the top and bottom of the picture. My z10 and z30 just worked! It's too soon for BlackBerry to start breaking functionality on their new phones/os, they're not Apple!. Go back to the separate hdmi connection and provide a seamless widescreen output experience.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-25-15 10:21 AM

Do you mean when playing video from your BlackBerry to a tv? If so, there is an option to play to device.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 10:26 AM
    Or try playing ANY 2.39:1 aspect movie (pretty much all movies shown in theaters) on ANY television or ANY mobile device or ANY computer screen. You will ALWAYS have some black space because there are no screens (other than projection screens in theaters) that have this shape.
    ANY TV you say?

Widescreen Video Play-samsung-se790c-curved-monitor-image-1-672x372.jpg
    Samsung

Widescreen Video Play-lg-curve.jpg
    LG

Widescreen Video Play-14476-philips58pfl99552.jpg
    Philips

Widescreen Video Play-nec-crv43-curved-display.jpg
    NEC

Anyway, while you are mostly correct, you should be aware that there ARE a bunch of 21:9-ratio TVs and monitors on the market.
    02-25-15 05:33 PM
    The only major problem I see in BlackBerry phones now is not being able to play videos in widescreen. The 720 p * 720 p is a big problem. The black boxes on the top and bottom doesn't make for a enjoyable watching experience.
    Do you know why there are black boxes on the top and bottom on the screen?
    02-26-15 01:01 AM
    ANY TV you say?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung-SE790C-Curved-Monitor-image-1-672x372.jpg 
Views:	1431 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	336952
    Samsung

Name:	lg-curve.jpg 
Views:	1452 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	336951
    LG

Name:	14476-philips58pfl99552.jpg 
Views:	1428 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	336953
    Philips

Name:	nec-crv43-curved-display.jpg 
Views:	1455 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	336954
    NEC

Anyway, while you are mostly correct, you should be aware that there ARE a bunch of 21:9-ratio TVs and monitors on the market.
    I have a Toshiba monitor (16:9 FHD) that swivels into upright position, so the long side is the vertical. Shows most website almost entirely.

Try this with any of the monitors / TVs you presented, and you could view a full website without scrolling... :-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    02-26-15 02:19 AM
    Hey guys quick question if I present a powerpoint from my passport's slim port will it be full screen?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 02:33 AM
    ANY TV you say?

Name:	Samsung-SE790C-Curved-Monitor-image-1-672x372.jpg 
Views:	1431 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	336952
    Samsung

Name:	lg-curve.jpg 
Views:	1452 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	336951
    LG

Name:	14476-philips58pfl99552.jpg 
Views:	1428 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	336953
    Philips

Name:	nec-crv43-curved-display.jpg 
Views:	1455 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	336954
    NEC

But now you will get black bars on the left and right of the screen if you watch regular HD TV programming.

You can't win'em all.

No fixed size screen can watch movie-aspect-ratio and HD-aspect-ratio video without either vertical bars on the left/right or vertical bars on the top/bottom (unless you zoom or have some kind of physical panels that can cover the black space).

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    02-26-15 07:30 AM
    As I said, I'm well aware of the variety of aspect ratios commonly used in media - I work for a high-end home theater company and we have installed projectors and projector screens that have additional mattes that crop the screen for different aspect ratios: 2.35:1, 1.85:1 (also used for 16:9) and 1:33:1. Of course, there have been a few other non-standard ratios that have been used: Cinerama at 2:59:1 (How The West Was Won) and MGM 65 at 2.76:1 (Ben Hur), but those rare outliers will have to live with imperfect (or manual) cropping.
    02-26-15 06:27 PM
    Widescreen Video Play-screen-20150311-104842.png
    I like the way that this widescreen video was handled to adapt to a 1:1 ratio.

What is this technique called? Does anybody know how to do it with a video converter or video editing software?

This technique can also be applied To a square video to Fit a wide screen.

For me this is a lot better than looking at Black bars.

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    03-24-15 10:39 PM
    1:1 display was a bad move by BlackBerry. Since most apps, games, and videos are 16:9. 4:3 would've been better. You'll just get a slight cutoff from the top and bottom.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    03-25-15 12:13 AM
    You can watch Youtube in full screen 1:1 with Fast Tube app

Widescreen Video Play-img_20150325_215251.png

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:58 AM
    You can watch Youtube in full screen 1:1 with Fast Tube app
    But so much gets cut off on the side.

03-25-15 12:02 PM
    I'm telling you guys, the post I made earlier about blurring a cropped 1:1 video behind a 16:9 (or other ratio) looks the prettiest.

This one.
    Widescreen Video Play-screen-20150311-104842.png

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    03-25-15 09:54 PM
    I'm telling you guys, the post I made earlier about blurring a cropped 1:1 video behind a 16:9 (or other ratio) looks the prettiest.
    So most of the sides are cut off, and then some of top and bottom gets cut off too? Not feeling that idea.

03-25-15 11:47 PM
    I love that idea!

A phone used for calls and sms only! That's what I need

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 02:16 AM
    So most of the sides are cut off, and then some of top and bottom gets cut off too? Not feeling that idea.

No.

NO.

Nonono.

Look at the picture I posted. It is of a widescreen video. PLUS a zoomed-in-blurred, cropped "cut off (your terms)" 1:1 to fill in the usual black bars.

Look again. I'm "not feeling" your untrained eyes.

Look again.

For everyone else who understands my post, does anyone know how to apply this technique to videos or what the name of the technique is?

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    03-26-15 05:26 AM