After reading threads abt wifi discussion...im still unable to grasp BB's wifi concept & found that the most popular feature is being able to make wifi call from home, but as im halfway round the globe, we dont have such service over here, so wifi @ home isnt a benefit for me...

ok lets say i have unlimited BIS plan, my question is:

when i'm roaming abroad in another country and i do not want to be affected by exorbitant roaming charges, am'i able to make use of wi-fi? For eg im in a hotel lobby lounge which has wifi access, can i still check my email, send BBM etc using wifi and not incurring roaming charges? can i d/l apps or check weather using BB browser

In other words, can i make use of the full BB features while im in another country using wifi. Im actually deciding which BB to get, and to evaluate the usefulness of having wifi...if at all. Im still trying to come to terms of BB devices/services coming frm WM. My initial understanding of BB is similar to WM devices, as long as there's a wifi spot, i can open IE browser, surf to my hearts content, basically 'go on the internet' for free, regardless of which country im in. So any expert to enlighten me?

ps. im in here almost every night to learn more abt BB cos im really sick of WM's instability.....n i love CB's community
    08-17-08 10:48 AM
    Vinberry,

Did you eventually find the answer to your question? I had the same question as well...
    08-25-08 12:03 PM
    I am new to using my Curve, I have not roamed with it as of yet, but the guy in the store did say that I can use Wi-Fi in order to avoid roaming charges.

I believe that you can do this when you are roaming on another network by doing as follows.
    Ensure that in Manage Connections>Mobile Network>Data Services is set to 'OFF' or 'OFF WHEN ROAMING'

When you are in a Wi-fi hotspot Connect to it via Manage Connections>Set Up Wi-Fi Network.

Once connected to a Wi-Fi network Check in Services Status, you should now see "Blackberry Internet Service Connection: Wi-Fi"

If So go back to Manage Connections>Mobile Network>Data Services can now be set to YES.
    This will now allow data to be sent and received but via Wi-Fi therefore avoiding roaming on the mobile network you currently connected to.

Remember to switch Data Services Off before you disconnect from the Wi-Fi Spot.

I am pretty sure that this method is the correct one, but if anyone knows any different or I am mistaken I would really appreciate to hear about it.
    08-25-08 01:01 PM
    Hey triax88: well i've not exactly found any info as yet cos i've been rather occupied with work n stuff...and i;ve not gotten my BB anyway..so i guess i'lll dig for more info once i received my handset...there are many threads on wi-fi related topics, even in other BB forums..will update ya when i get an all conclusive info , cheers
    08-26-08 06:51 AM
    I am new to using my Curve, I have not roamed with it as of yet, but the guy in the store did say that I can use Wi-Fi in order to avoid roaming charges.

I believe that you can do this when you are roaming on another network by doing as follows.
    Ensure that in Manage Connections>Mobile Network>Data Services is set to 'OFF' or 'OFF WHEN ROAMING'

When you are in a Wi-fi hotspot Connect to it via Manage Connections>Set Up Wi-Fi Network.

Once connected to a Wi-Fi network Check in Services Status, you should now see "Blackberry Internet Service Connection: Wi-Fi"

If So go back to Manage Connections>Mobile Network>Data Services can now be set to YES.
    This will now allow data to be sent and received but via Wi-Fi therefore avoiding roaming on the mobile network you currently connected to.

Remember to switch Data Services Off before you disconnect from the Wi-Fi Spot.

I am pretty sure that this method is the correct one, but if anyone knows any different or I am mistaken I would really appreciate to hear about it.
    Unfortunately when I tried to do this using O2-UK network, turning off the data services first prevented the phone from fully connecting to the wifi network. The wifi icon remained grayed out. It was only when I set the data connection back to 'ON' or 'OFF WHEN ROAMING' that the wifi fully connected.

I don't know whether the fact that I'm trying it in a country where I'm connecting to the network that I have my phone service with makes any difference, I would have thought that the wifi connection should work with the data services off but I'm no expert

I've not roamed with my BB either, but I'm due to go away shortly so am quite interested as to how this all works.
    08-27-08 07:23 AM
    ok lets say i have unlimited BIS plan, my question is:

when i'm roaming abroad in another country and i do not want to be affected by exorbitant roaming charges, am'i able to make use of wi-fi? For eg im in a hotel lobby lounge which has wifi access, can i still check my email, send BBM etc using wifi and not incurring roaming charges? can i d/l apps or check weather using BB browser
    As far as I know there should be no problem with this. I've connected via wi-fi by switching off the 'Mobile Network' in connection settings, and selecting a wi-fi network. This way there's no chance of the phone connecting via roaming and being charged ridiculous data rates. I've then been able to use messaging and internet (an I assume any other non-voice applications) just by paying for the hotspot access.

If 'Data Services' are switched off under options then I've been unable to connect, so this should be left to 'On', or 'Off when Roaming'.
    08-28-08 03:59 PM
    I carry my BB 8320 Curve with me around the world and use it extensively in other countries.I use the same WiFi features internationally as I do at home through my home network router.

When abroad, I carry a Linksys portable pocket router (do not have the model number in front of me). I connect the router to my broadband connection in my hotel and use it as my WPA2 encrypted access point for the Wi-Fi features of UMA on my BB. I drive my laptop from the wired ports on the router for extra security.Therefore, I am able to use my BB when no other cell phones work (e.g.- Japan). I have full functionality of email, web, voice, etc at no additional charge (beyond my minimal Hotspot@ Home Talk Forever fee). My voice calls back to the states are generally awesome quality and I do a lot of it. The beauty is that my family can call me at my bedside with a local call anywhere I have my BB set up on wi-fi UMA.

My best recollection is that I have jumped on a couple of hotel lobby wifi systems and not been charged for it. I do not let my cell ROAM in Asia or Europe. I stick with straight wi-fi when I want to use it to avoid any surprises. So far, great service and great value. I have not tried any overseas Starbucks or other commercial wifi providers.

My phone is set for Data Services-On and I generally use Connection Preference-WiFi Only or WiFi Preferred. I can generally get UMA connections established pretty quickly through Wi-Fi but it does sometimes take a while for the system to sync up and acquire a UMA connection that makes this possible.

Hope this helps a bit...
    09-05-08 04:28 PM
    My advice is to call your service provider and check with them. You don't want them billing you charges if you're overseas and using free wifi, even though technically they can't.

What you can do is switch off the mobile radio so you're running strictly on wifi. Also make sure you're using the "hotspot browser" configuration in your browser and not "internet browser".

Check with your provider to be sure. That is if your service provider is competent. Oh wait, you're with Singtel? I'm with Starhub!
    09-15-08 01:30 AM
    I have 8900 w/TMO and am currently in Japan. after many call to CC they have assured me while phoneing from abroad on wifi only I can use all phone features as if I am in USA. They even noted my account notes as such to protect my position on the advice they gave.
    My biggest problem was finding wifi in Japan. This place is locked down. Found luck with Buffalo Air station g54. Plugged it into hotel ethernet, one quick login page and my e-mails started flying in. All is well. Clear calls to USA in and out. As if I am there. When leaving USA I will always travel with it now. No roaming and full functionality! Just make sure "Mobile Network" is turned off to avoid extra charges.
    07-21-09 06:15 PM
    I have a question about this roaming/WiFi thing... When I turn the 'Mobile Network' of my BB 8900 off and set it to WiFi preffered or een to WiFi only, I still got the name of my provider on my home screen as if I got a connection with the mobile network. Is this correct? I'm still in the US and not roaming, but that should not make a difference in this, I think...
    Last edited by Tumeroide; 11-25-09 at 10:03 PM.
    11-25-09 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD