I just got a new unlocked 8120 today and I have a few questions about the Wi-Fi since I'm new to BlackBerrys.

I don't have a data plan because I know I won't be using it nearly enough to justify the extra $35 a month, but I would like to take advantage of the Wi-Fi capabilities. How do I set it up to make sure I'm only using available Wi-Fi connections and not being charged for data? Are there any indicators in the screen I should look out for? I already downloaded Opera Mini and gave it a try, but I just want to make sure I won't end up with a huge bill because of data usage.

Also, can eBuddy be used with Wi-Fi, or is a data plan needed for that?

Thanks in advance
    11-28-09 02:57 PM
    I lived without a BlackBerry Internet Service plan for a while and found it workable, but limited.

Wifi can be used with the Hotspot Browser, but not any of the native BlackBerry applications like email, or BlackBerry Messenger.

The absence of BIS will also limit the third party applications you can use. There are some, but the vast majority will not work.
    11-28-09 05:26 PM
    That's fine with me. I know it'll be limited but I just don't feel a need for the data plan.

I just want to know how to set everything up. Thanks anyway.
    11-28-09 06:35 PM
    BBM works for me on wifi. i had my sim card out of my bold for a couple of days and i was still able to chat with ppl on BBM.
    11-28-09 06:35 PM
    BIS also works on WiFi.
    11-29-09 05:42 PM
    But do you need a BIS plan in order for all the blackberry features to work on Wifi?
    12-02-09 07:32 PM
    TMo used to have a "BlackBerry Feature Enabler" that basically gave you free access to BlackBerry BIS services over WiFi without a data plan. They nixed it after an audit by RIM. Barring such an enabler, yes you would need a data plan because a great many BB features use BIS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD