Most people don't bother changing the battery every two years they just buy a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    That is why this thread was made.

The Q10 and Z10 can be used longer than two years.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-16 11:18 AM
    Just about any phone can stand the test of time if your needs are specialized and or your standards are low. The only question being how long you are satisfied with your device. I think our first iPad has reached that point even though it still can be used.
    02-14-16 12:51 PM
    Just about any phone can stand the test of time if your needs are specialized and or your standards are low. The only question being how long you are satisfied with your device. I think our first iPad has reached that point even though it still can be used.
    If you read the original post, you would know that the thread is specifically about the battery. And how the ease of the battery change can extend the life of the phone.

The battery is the most important factor of a phone, since if it cannot turn on, the fancy CPU and the screen do not matter.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-16 02:25 PM
    I had a z10 and battery life was terrible, moved on to a z30 which had great battery life. Now I have a priv and it's superior to both the z10 and 30, only thing it's missing is better speakers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-14-16 03:11 PM
    The Z10 is such a poor example because a phone that can not get most users through the day has failed its primary objective.

Regardless, our 2.5 year old iPhone has 84% capacity and lasts my wife a whole day ( very apparent on trips when we took the iPhone and Z10). I have three batteries for the Z all over 90 % capacity. I suppose that both phones can be used. For a long time yet... If we wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-14-16 at 03:37 PM.
    02-14-16 03:24 PM
    If you read the original post, you would know that the thread is specifically about the battery. And how the ease of the battery change can extend the life of the phone.

The battery is the most important factor of a phone, since if it cannot turn on, the fancy CPU and the screen do not matter.

Posted via CB10
    And his point is ANY DEVICE can last, or become a brick in short order, and the batteries being removable aren't always the determining factor. My Z10 needed a new battery after one year, and two years later still on that 2nd battery. My 9930's original battery died after 11 months; my 9550 went 4 years using a daily swap of 2 batteries (alternating days). However, my 8130 is still using the original battery eight years later. And on the non-BlackBerry side, my wife's iPhone 4 still works but her 4s died after only 7 months; and her 5s never had an issue either.

TL;DR: just a long-winded statement on battery longevity being relative.

Posted via CB10
    pkcable likes this.
    02-14-16 03:35 PM
    The Z10 is such a poor example because a phone that can not get most users through the day has failed its primary objective.

Regardless, our 2.5 year old iPhone has 84% capacity and lasts my wife a whole day ( very apparent on trips when we took the iPhone and Z10). I have three batteries for the Z all over 90 % capacity. I suppose that both phones can be used. For a long time yet... If we wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    Having an easily removable battery is like an insurance. You hope you never need it, but you will be glad that you have it when you need it.

People might never need to replace the battery during their phone usage. But for the times that they need to, they will be glad that they have it.

And considering that the battery degradation is a proven fact, if a phone is kept long enough, it will be needed. Even if YOU did not need it, there is a significant degradation in battery life at the two year mark, statistically speaking.

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    02-14-16 04:56 PM
    Sure but there are numerous phones with removable batteries better then the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-16 07:35 PM
    Sure but there are numerous phones with removable batteries better then the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    In your opinion.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    02-14-16 07:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure. If price is no issue. Or size. Or OS platform. The LG V10 is a great device for $600 and has a removable battery. But it's a monster of a phone and a phablet. And it runs Android.

But the fact that you can find a Z10 in great condition for $50-$100 in 2016 and still have a great user experience provides great value. It's not for everyone. But for some it will be the best option out there.

 Q10/10.3.2.2639
    skstrials likes this.
    02-14-16 10:18 PM
    10.0 and 10.1 were not ready for prime time. Look back at the threads here on Crackberry.
    As I said. I had no problems. Priv has a lot of problems according to the crackberry threads. That's not an indicator.
    People can get very excited over minor improvements in the hub...
    There were no fundamental changes between 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.
    What caused a lot of complaints was the removal of flash in 10.3.1 until Zeus became available.
    02-14-16 10:25 PM
    As I said. I had no problems. Priv has a lot of problems according to the crackberry threads. That's not an indicator.
    People can get very excited over minor improvements in the hub...
    There were no fundamental changes between 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.
    What caused a lot of complaints was the removal of flash in 10.3.1 until Zeus became available.
    I get what you meant, but TgeekB is correct - 10.0 and 10.1 weren't ready for the general public, although 10.1 was at least passable. 10.2 gaining the ability to directly install Android apps was a HUGE deal, however. No more converting bar files to apk and firing up Chrome or DDPB to sideload them. Good times. The parallel with the Priv is this is its first version, and it will need tweaks here and there just like every piece of software in existence. But we digress, let's get back to the batteries. I have a Z10, and as I mentioned already, it burned through its original battery in about a year - but I'd already noticed it's drain rate was increasing and purchased a battery after only 7 months. It could be just the fact it's a new battery, or it could be because 10.0 and 10.1 weren't as optimized as they could have been; 10.2 was the OS that should have been on there to begin with - battery #2 is still going strong 2 years later.
    02-15-16 12:17 AM
    I get what you meant, but TgeekB is correct - 10.0 and 10.1 weren't ready for the general public, although 10.1 was at least passable. 10.2 gaining the ability to directly install Android apps was a HUGE deal, however. No more converting bar files to apk and firing up Chrome or DDPB to sideload them. Good times. The parallel with the Priv is this is its first version, and it will need tweaks here and there just like every piece of software in existence. But we digress, let's get back to the batteries. I have a Z10, and as I mentioned already, it burned through its original battery in about a year - but I'd already noticed it's drain rate was increasing and purchased a battery after only 7 months. It could be just the fact it's a new battery, or it could be because 10.0 and 10.1 weren't as optimized as they could have been; 10.2 was the OS that should have been on there to begin with - battery #2 is still going strong 2 years later.
    "Tweaks" is the right word to describe the changes between 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.
    Android runtime in mind mind has nothing to do with BB10 (and still uses my battery even though I have no android apps installed..)
    02-15-16 01:46 AM
    That is why this thread was made.

The Q10 and Z10 can be used longer than two years.

Posted via CB10
    I currently have a Q10 (writing the post with it double typing and all) and am waiting for a passport se in the mail as we speak. Why am I "upgrading"? Because I can't make it through the day without the battery dieing and the phone is sluggish. Not the phones problem it's my own needs and demand that is changing so I want a bigger, faster, and better battery phone. You will find this is essentially the same reason why most people upgrade. I'll still use the Q10 because it works fine but my daily driver will be the passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-16 04:22 AM
    I am proudly still using my Q10. There are just 3 things I look for in a phone.
    1. It's a Blackberry
    2. It has a keyboard
    3. Removable Battery
    Now the Classic and Passport are 2/3 there. But I absolutely love having a Removable Battery. I would have gotten one of those or possibly both if they did.
    skstrials likes this.
    02-15-16 03:17 PM
    My Z10 over 2 years now. Awesome phone. Will use till it dies.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    02-15-16 05:26 PM
    I am proudly still using my Q10. There are just 3 things I look for in a phone.
    1. It's a Blackberry
    2. It has a keyboard
    3. Removable Battery
    Now the Classic and Passport are 2/3 there. But I absolutely love having a Removable Battery. I would have gotten one of those or possibly both if they did.
    Is the OS an issue? BBOS 7? Android? BB10? because all of those can be blackberry but only the latter (and your other conditions) limits it to the Q10.

If a BB Android was released with keyboard and removable battery would you be interested?

Posted via CB10
    02-15-16 11:25 PM
    Is the OS an issue? BBOS 7? Android? BB10? because all of those can be blackberry but only the latter (and your other conditions) limits it to the Q10.

If a BB Android was released with keyboard and removable battery would you be interested?

Posted via CB10
    It would still be an android, so, No, for me. The keyboard and battery feature are, of course, VERY tempting. But, no.
    But a Windows Phone with a keyboard, I think I'd take that.
    02-16-16 12:15 AM
    Two issues killed these early phones in the public's mind:

1) Random resets (some of which were solved with the good old 'stick a bit of cardboard behind the battery door', but a lot weren't - faulty manufacturing)

2) BlackBerry 10 operating system was not in a usable state until the 10.2 release, about two years after these phones were released

Hence, I really think they should reissue these wonderful phones.
    I totally agree! Reissued with updated specs and a new marketing plan. Perhaps a street version (android) and an office version (bb10 with bis, exchange for all)
    02-16-16 07:32 AM
    I totally agree! Reissued with updated specs and a new marketing plan. Perhaps a street version (android) and an office version (bb10 with bis, exchange for all)
    What do you think the Classic and the Leap are?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 10:35 AM
    So true! It's a HUGE plus. Love my Z10 and I intend to use for as long as I can.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    02-16-16 11:17 AM
    I bought a gold battery for my z10 on eBay. Greatest investment I ever made. I even did it in the past for my 9900 and 9700. Must suck for all those iPhone users who's batteries degrade overtime and then apple charges them to replace them or they get a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 02:09 AM
    I personally found the q10 too small but love the keyboard. Was mostly using the z30 and now my passport has arrive but need a new SIM card!

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 03:40 AM
    You're not alone. There's a lot of people that enjoy the smaller form factor that comes with a sub 5" screen with decent screen/body ratio. If there weren't, Apple wouldn't be rumored to be releasing the iPhone 6c, with a smaller screen yet the latest hardware. I have quite a few friends that prefer their 5 or 5s to the iPhone 6. For them it's all about form factor and portability. Glad Apple is responding.

Unfortunately for Android, you have to get the mini or compact variants of a product line, which often sacrifices specs.

 Q10
    Yes that's true, even right now I still choose my iphone 4s (beside using my z30 and q10 as daily driver), glad to hear apple releasing their next 4" model

For android with nice form factor and portability can choose sonny experia "mini" series

Delivered by my Z30
    03-07-16 07:43 AM
    The only problem with constantly swapping batteries is degrading the electrical contacts, thus making the device shut down when shaken or moved, can be remedied by a thin paper insert, though.
    We use a TINY drop of Ridox contact lube. My crew prefers to power our 9900s with batt swaps rather than wall hugging. Twice per day pretty normal. Zero contact issues. Even on my 4+ yr old 9900. We only used our Z's nine months and our Qs three months but had NO "reboot on bump" issues. We Ridox anything similar. Smelly stuff, tho.
    03-07-16 09:57 AM
105 ... 2345