I haven't got a data plan. I installed Gmail App and set it on my home screen.
    I sent a test e-mail from another e-mail address to my gMail address and started the stopwatch. 53 seconds and my phone started to vibrate, led on, ringer on: gMail icon changed to an icon with a little yellow star with the number of new e-mails.

If that's not push e-mail, I don't know what is.
    So, why would I need the "integrated" push e-mail ?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming it, I'm just asking if I'm missing out on something.

TBH I tried it, and I hated it (my phone kept connecting and displaying the loading icon 24/7, the connecting arrow in top right corner was like 24/7 there).

It seems to be choosing gMail is the better way to go. At least for my preferences.
    10-30-10 12:30 PM
    How exactly are you getting e-mail without a data plan? Even if you don't have a BlackBerry data plan, you still have to have some sort of data plan.

I believe the Gmail app is a "pull" application that polls your gmail server at certain intervals to pull your e-mail down. This tends to use a bit more battery, because it will fire up the radio to check your mail, even if you don't have any. It also may only poll once every 20 minutes or so.

Direct BIS push checks your inbox far more frequently,on the server side, not using resources on your BB unless there is a new message to push to you. Nearly instant, all the time, anytime, and one less application taking up memory on your device. BIS supports bi-directional syncing of read/deleted status, labels, and a few other features through the Enhanced Gmail Plugin, so my question to you would be:

Why bother installing an app that uses more battery, takes up memory, and doesn't serve my e-mail as fast, when my device already has most of the same functionality built-in?

Personal preference based on your individual tastes and needs is the way to make your choice.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 10-30-10 at 01:31 PM.
    10-30-10 01:28 PM
    What he said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 02:37 PM
    yes what he said. If you dont need your mail instantly & dont mind battery drain & dont mind using more memory then the gmail app is perfect
    10-30-10 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD